Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BMT Moon Loader **** UPDATED **** review

ysrracer

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to edit my original post from my phone.

I had an opportunity to try out a BMT Mooner for my SW 627 in .38 special. It's a cool little gizmo. It seems well made. However with Remington .38 special ammo and TK .25 thousands moon clips,  it's a little too difficult for my 61 year old hands to turn it.

Full disclosure, I never dug a ditch, or put in a hard day's work in my life.

It did work well with the .38 Colt short ammo, and the clips that Mark brought with to try out.

My verdict is, try it for your specific application before you buy it. I won't be buying one.

You can remove one of the pieces of metal that put the rounds in and also the side that takes them out. Then you are only putting 1 round in or out at a time it makes it easier. 

I found that the 1st few loadings of "new" tight moon clips were almost impossible to load with my BMT without help.  The help I used was to put a couple of screws to lock the base onto the bench.  That helped give me enough leverage to load them.  As they smoothed out it became easier, so that I could do it without the extra leverage.

Edited by pskys2

I have found it helps to load four rounds at a time, takes a little longer but much better than anything else out there.

Edited by 357454
word insertion

• 2 weeks later...

I've since found out that there are two different models. One for rimmed cartridges that loads them two at a time, and one for rimmless cartridges that loads them one at a time.

The one for rimmless cartridges that loads them one at a time has the added benefit of having more leverage.

19 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I've since found out that there are two different models. One for rimmed cartridges that loads them two at a time, and one for rimmless cartridges that loads them one at a time.

The one for rimmless cartridges that loads them one at a time has the added benefit of having more leverage.

If you look back up at post from May 4 from revoman, he is telling you about the one for rimmed cases and is suggesting that you may want to remove one of the two teats that load two at a time to make it easier for you.

Edited by mchapman
correction

I've used mine for my 627 for 2 different matches.   My left hand got bruised and swollen after each 2 day event.   I tried loading 4 or even 2 at a time but at this point I think I may have to find another solution.  I am hoping that my 20 moons will get worn in enough to make the loading easier but we will see.

Kraken Fan #69

I've used mine for my 627 for 2 different matches.   My left hand got bruised and swollen after each 2 day event.   I tried loading 4 or even 2 at a time but at this point I think I may have to find another solution.  I am hoping that my 20 moons will get worn in enough to make the loading easier but we will see.

Kraken Fan #69
What moonclips and brass are you using?

10 hours ago, KrakenFan69 said:

Kraken Fan #69

I'm confused, the one I used you put in all eight cartridges in at the same time. You clicked it four times, because each click loaded two rounds into the clip.

There was no way to load four at a time on the one I tried.

Edited by ysrracer

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I'm confused, the one I used you put in all eight cartridges in at the same time. You clicked it four times, because each click loaded two rounds into the clip.

There was no way to load four at a time on the one I tried.

Only load 4 round into the mooner at 3/6/9/12 O'Clock.   Run the tool.   Then put in the other 4 and do it again.  You can do it in sets of 2 also.   Unless yours is wildly different than mine, which is possible.

Kraken Fan #69

Ok I'm still confused. Regardless of how many rounds you put in, it still only loads them into the moon clip two at a time, right?

That's why if you put in 8 rounds, you have to click it 4 times.

If you don’t want to remove one of the little teats just put rounds in 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then you are putting 1 round in at a time. Then follow up with 5, 6, 7 and 8. A lot easier to remove one teat. 

On 5/22/2019 at 4:15 PM, revoman said:

If you don’t want to remove one of the little teats just put rounds in 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then you are putting 1 round in at a time. Then follow up with 5, 6, 7 and 8. A lot easier to remove one teat. 

Ok, I ordered one tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

BMT Moon Loaders are the best for me. I have them for my S&W 610, 929, 627 and for my Ruger Redhawk 45Colt/ACP. They have saved me hours of work and torn skin.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Daniele said:

one on Ebay for just 45$!!

Too bad he doesn't ship to Italy

Damn it. I literally just got mine from BMT at twice the price.

For me it's basically unusable for 8 rounds of Remington .38 special with TK .025 clips. There's just no way I can turn the metal part with my hand. It's too stiff.

If I load 4 rounds ( thereby loading 1 round at a time, as opposed to loading 8 rounds, and loading 2 rounds at a time) I can turn it. I need to figure out a way to get more leverage.

Maybe a handle of some kind?

Screenshot_20190601-154848.png

On 5/22/2019 at 4:15 PM, revoman said:

The only way for me to remove one of the teats is with an end mill. Mine aren't removable.

IMG_20190601_155118752.jpg

Damn it. I literally just got mine from BMT at twice the price.

For me it's basically unusable for 8 rounds of Remington .38 special with TK .025 clips. There's just no way I can turn the metal part with my hand. It's too stiff.

If I load 4 rounds ( thereby loading 1 round at a time, as opposed to loading 8 rounds, and loading 2 rounds at a time) I can turn it. I need to figure out a way to get more leverage.

Maybe a handle of some kind?

Screenshot_20190601-154848.thumb.png.8aa56ae46cb51ac8ba5fa770e8bc7262.png
It's pretty tight, but doable, for me with Remington brass and the blued TK clips.