Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alpha X vs Guga Ribas

Alright so I am tired of breaking ball joints in the racemaster magazine pouches. 3 in 6 months is 3 too many. Those of you that have tried one of these for a few months or years of hard use and regular dry fire please drop your opinions below. Yes I know the Alpha X are new but in comparison to the Racemasters they looks like they may solve this issue. If you have broke either of these pouches let me know!

40 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Out of curiosity, what are you breaking on the Racemasters? 

I have them on multiple belt rigs... they've been used hard for years, fallen on, dropped, you name it... and they are going strong? 

The nubs on the balljoints. They sheet off then the balljoint begins walking in the pouch body itself. 

6 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

The nubs on the balljoints. They sheet off then the balljoint begins walking in the pouch body itself. 

Weird. 

Between me and my wife, we probably have 5-6 rigs with Racemaster pouches.  After getting everything in place, loctiting, and snugging it all down, I've never had one move. 

That being said, we also have the Alpha X pouches. They are GREAT pouches. 

If you're having issues with racermaster I would say stay as far away as you can from the Alpha X.  I've had two now break where the ball joint slides into the mag pouch.  One during an Area match and another during a local match.  Both times I was caught off guard and couldn't get the ball back onto the mag pouch without hammering it with a rock so it scratches the hell out of the Alpha X mag pouch

It's frustrating because I asked DAA when they replaced the first broken one if I could exchange them for the racemaster since they're more proven they said no.  They did replace it with another Alpha X which is nice they covered it under warranty.  I'm now looking at other brands GR being one of them.  

I hate saying negative things about anyones products but it sounds like you might run into the same issue I had if you go with the Alpha X so I just wanted to share my experience. 

Alright so I am tired of breaking ball joints in the racemaster magazine pouches. 3 in 6 months is 3 too many. Those of you that have tried one of these for a few months or years of hard use and regular dry fire please drop your opinions below. Yes I know the Alpha X are new but in comparison to the Racemasters they looks like they may solve this issue. If you have broke either of these pouches let me know!

Switched from Racemaster to Alpha-X and finally to the Everglades Magnetic Race Holster and I’m a happy camper.

The balljoint never broke on me but never inspired confidence. The Alpha-X is better there. But they never got the inserts as rock solid and smooth as the Everglades MRH. And the MRH is rock solid everywhere else, too.

11 hours ago, CaliYeti said:

If you're having issues with racermaster I would say stay as far away as you can from the Alpha X.  I've had two now break where the ball joint slides into the mag pouch.  One during an Area match and another during a local match.  Both times I was caught off guard and couldn't get the ball back onto the mag pouch without hammering it with a rock so it scratches the hell out of the Alpha X mag pouch

It's frustrating because I asked DAA when they replaced the first broken one if I could exchange them for the racemaster since they're more proven they said no.  They did replace it with another Alpha X which is nice they covered it under warranty.  I'm now looking at other brands GR being one of them.  

I hate saying negative things about anyones products but it sounds like you might run into the same issue I had if you go with the Alpha X so I just wanted to share my experience. 

Hate to hear this.. do you know if those were before they started shipping with the ball bearing in the balljoint go further expand the dovetail?

11 hours ago, lacivilian said:

Hate to hear this.. do you know if those were before they started shipping with the ball bearing in the balljoint go further expand the dovetail?

And I honestly hate saying it. I have the most updated version after going over that with them on the phone. I thought they would be great being the newest and great initial reviews.  But when things fail at Major matches it makes you think of just going with what has been vetted with years of use. I honestly don't know what brand I'll land on now.  Just started to research and ask other shooters at matches what they think of their gear.  

If you are like me, practicing hand speed by "slapping" the mag pouches all the time, DAA won't last long.  Before I started practicing hand speed, my Racers lasted 3 years without any issues.  However, once I started trying to improve my hand speed, with slapping the pouches inadvertently as part of the movement when grabbing the magazine, they broke fast.  I have broken 4 locking plates, e.g. the plastic sims with teeth, in 6 months.  DAA did send me some spare ones but I keep breaking them. 

When the Alpha X came out, I bought one to experiment, hoping all metal parts will cure the issue.  Nope, the Alpha X metal ball wiggles after few weeks of use.  DAA sent me extras but they all start wiggling sideways the same after few weeks. 

I think by design, the DAA pouches are not meant to take any side way forces.  If you reload gently or grab the magazine without touching the pouch, there won't be any problem. 

I don't have the GR pouches and I don't know how durable they are. 

Same problems as above DAA sent me some " new" style balls that attach to the mag holder itself....seems to be holding position so far. I think the slide in design of this ball is a weak point of design......hoping for the best.

On a positive note...I have had discussions with the folks at DAA in Penn. and they are very professional and seem truly concerned about the products...sent me replacement parts at N/C ..I appreciate  this kinda' stuff !

On 5/6/2019 at 9:03 PM, Dazhi said:

If you are like me, practicing hand speed by "slapping" the mag pouches all the time, DAA won't last long.  Before I started practicing hand speed, my Racers lasted 3 years without any issues.  However, once I started trying to improve my hand speed, with slapping the pouches inadvertently as part of the movement when grabbing the magazine, they broke fast.  I have broken 4 locking plates, e.g. the plastic sims with teeth, in 6 months.  DAA did send me some spare ones but I keep breaking them. 

When the Alpha X came out, I bought one to experiment, hoping all metal parts will cure the issue.  Nope, the Alpha X metal ball wiggles after few weeks of use.  DAA sent me extras but they all start wiggling sideways the same after few weeks. 

I think by design, the DAA pouches are not meant to take any side way forces.  If you reload gently or grab the magazine without touching the pouch, there won't be any problem. 

I don't have the GR pouches and I don't know how durable they are. 

Yep this is how I’m continaully breaking mine in dry fire. I ended up purchasing the alpha x pouches after I talked to multiple people who said their GR pouches worked their way loose and became nearly useless. I may end up switching to GR after the major match season if I start breaking some Alpha X pouches. Someone needs to find a solution and build a bomb proof design. I know the limcats are also an option but at $89 a piece that is quite steep. If someone has those and can comment on their quality I would be interested in buying some. 

Edited by lacivilian

4 hours ago, lacivilian said:

Someone needs to find a solution and build a bomb proof design.

CR Speed pouches are pretty much indestructible and have stood the test of time. No gimmicky gizmos or moving parts per se like all the new flashy pouches. K.I.S.S.

8 hours ago, robb315 said:

CR Speed pouches are pretty much indestructible and have stood the test of time. No gimmicky gizmos or moving parts per se like all the new flashy pouches. K.I.S.S.

Funny as I've seen multiple CR speeds break too....

So much for the replacement  of the  ball joint on the . mag pouch...tightened everything down as much as humanly possible...this time the actual pouch itself broke the grooves in insert.....pouch and magazine in the dirt....I love this Alpha X design but this is enough.

Please suggest a viable replacement....this is my front primary .mag holder.....thanks.

The only issue I've had with the Alpha X pouches were the belt loop screws stripping out with light torque. I changed to high quality fasteners and no issues. The major problem I see is if you over tighten the dovetail hardware you'll deform the dovetail aluminum and the pouch will never stay tight again. If you under tighten the hardware you'll also deform the aluminum. I was careful not to over or under tighten and the pouches have stood up against practicing four days a week plus live fire and matches for a year.

I really like the ball adjustment on the belt which is why I bought the pouches. However, I think the dovetail size is a mistake for the specific material used. I don't think it is reasonable to expect all users to take the care I took setting up the pouches. I've had numerous people ask what pouches I recommend and I told them to skip the Alpha X despite how much I like the pouches overall. I would rather see the ball mechanism thread straight into the pouch body with a mechanical lock than the dovetail in the stylized logo cutout. Unfortunately I haven't seen another pouch I would replace the Alpha X with. GR holsters and pouches look like a Rube Goldberg contraption just waiting to come unscrewed. 

On 5/15/2019 at 9:17 AM, 858 said:

The only issue I've had with the Alpha X pouches were the belt loop screws stripping out with light torque. I changed to high quality fasteners and no issues.

What screws/fasteners did you go with?  I've stripped a couple of mine out and getting more of the same from DAA makes no sense.  Might as well get something that will work.

I'm rather happy with my racemaster rig.  Buddy of mine started w guga ribas and it failed him.  His opinion was QC issues as some people swear by them.  He then switched to CR Speed and never looked back.

Edited by EazyRhino

8 hours ago, clw42 said:

What screws/fasteners did you go with?  I've stripped a couple of mine out and getting more of the same from DAA makes no sense.  Might as well get something that will work.

From McMaster-Carr:

1    91239A140
Button Head Hex Drive Screws, Black-Oxide Alloy Steel, M4 x 0.7mm Thread, 8mm Long, Packs of 100    1
Pack