Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RTB Lightweight BCG w/RCA Adjustable Gas Key

JohnnyD

Has anyone run one of these or a similar lightweight BCG with the RCA adjustable gas key installed?  Was thinking about buying the carrier without bolt and using the bolt that is currently in the rifle so they mate up well.

I was shooting 3gun pretty regularly but with schedule changes I won't be shooting more than 1 or 2 matches this year till the end of the season.  Thinking about adding one of these before I shoot a match at end of next month.  Right now I'm shooting a basic mid length PSA upper on a lower I built.

A little apprehensive about taking my PSA upper apart and swapping the gas block....or am I over thinking things?  I've built a couple of lowers but haven't messed around with building or modifying uppers yet.

If my shooting availability stays the same next year I probably will be shooting 2 matches a month (USPSA on the other 2 weekends) so I might build a dedicated upper for that.

I have never used an adjustable gas key. Looking at the video, adjusting it during set up looks like a pain in the butt, but once it is set up you are good to go. Adjustable gas blocks are easy to install. I use Superlative Arms adj GB. Easy to install and set up. Also, I use a new gas tube when I change out the GB. Same thing once set up you are good to go.

I use the sundevil ADIGS  adjustable gas key on one rifle and it works great. 

It was simple to set up and it's been perfect since install. In my most recent build I installed an adjustable gas block and I'm regretting it ... It's more of a pain to adjust than the gas key. 

Thanks both of you.  I think ideally I would like the block on a dedicated build.

I'm still leaning toward the key on this rifle so I don't have to molest it and it can go back to stock when I/if I put together a dedicated upper.

Edited by JohnnyD

I used a Rubber City adjustable gas key on my first rifle and it worked well. The set screw holding the adjustment is no worse or better than the set screw in most adjustable gas blocks. If I had a PSA upper I wouldn't disassemble it as they have a reputation for being overly tight. I'd just shoot the Hell out of it and use it up. Save up and build the next rifle that you know you will. 

You'll want to make sure that the gas carrier key bolts are tight on a regular basis. Most conventional BCG have these staked for safety. If those come loose it will be exciting and expensive!

Now there are a couple companies offering adjustable BCGs including 2A who has them in Steel or Ti. That looks pretty nice since you can make the adjustment with breaking down the rifle (you simply turn the adjustment and locking screw from the ejection port). $300-plus. Brownells offers another brand as well. I may try it on my rifle length gas gun as it does not have an adjustable gas block yet it seems over gassed to me. 

The nice thing about putting the adjustment on the BCG is that you can swap back to your regular BCG should anything go down, you hunt in Winter, or the Zombies come out and you have to shoot Russian ammo. Or switch it to the next gun, etc. (Ideally you want to keep the BCG and barrel together but the barrel will go before the BCG in most cases.)

Kinda nice to be able to answer with a little experience after five years of asking lots of dumb questions 😜

Edited by Frankly

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, PacMan said:

RTB LW with Adjustable gas key is GTG, this set up solved my issue with hand guard clearance, allowing me to use standard compact gas blocks.  I'm also using 2A Ti BC with adj gas but it has a very small window of adjustment.

I may try one of these myself, looking at them hard right now.