Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stretching Before a Match

Hey Guys, 

I ended up tearing up my knee last year partially because of my lack of flexibility. I was wondering, what kind of stretching routine are you doing before a match? 

Thanks, 

Sid

I tore my Patella tendon last year and lost most of season. My right knee will get very stiff. I workout so I incorporate flexibility exercises into my workout routines. This helps keep me flexible. However, if I’m really stiff I will do the following stretches outside of my exercise days as well.

Standing hamstring stretch, figure four, 90/90 stretch, butterfly stretch, knee to chest stretch, standing quad stretch, extended puppy pose and knee to chest. Keep in mind when you damage tour knee you also effect other body parts as well such as your hips and lower back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Physical therapy and a bunch of electro-stim therapy. Worked pretty well ultimately. I was able to rehab a partially torn LCL/PCL in about 6 months. Thankfully, I have a very solid doc who helped me get things on track. 

That’s cool! I had 6 months of Physical Therapy after surgery. I had an awesome Surgeon and Physical Therapist. PT is amazing. I learned a lot about how the body works and the importance of strength and flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s important to note that stretching before a match should be dynamic stretches not isometric stretches. As in you should be stretching through motion, do a few reps of slow squats, deep lunges, etc. You can google “dynamic stretches” and try them before your next match. Isometric stretching has little to no benefit especially when held longer than 20 seconds and should NOT be done before a match.

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2019 at 10:43 PM, MattBaker5745 said:

It’s important to note that stretching before a match should be dynamic stretches not isometric stretches. As in you should be stretching through motion, do a few reps of slow squats, deep lunges, etc. You can google “dynamic stretches” and try them before your next match. Isometric stretching has little to no benefit especially when held longer than 20 seconds and should NOT be done before a match.

Some use of yoga help with flexibility?

• 1 month later...

When I was doing martial arts when I was younger I had a hard time stretching on the Sat morning classes.  The evening classes weren't an issue.  It takes time for the body to warm up and loosen.  Given that most matches start early I would heed Matt's advice.  Just be careful.

• 2 years later...