Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Factory Ammo Performance

LawDog324

Being a short time competition shooter, long time LEO (retired) I was interested in what some of the others that don't reload find best performance wise in their X5s. 

At this point I have only used Blazer Brass 115 FMJ just trying to get the X5 broken in.

My current mods are Gray Gun Competition trigger kit, Springer Guide Rod and 14# spring. I have a 12.5 # spring on standby, Vortex Razor 6 MOA mounted on a springer adaptor.

Most of the rounds I have put thru it are just to get the feel of it and zeroing the Razor, I have shot a steel match with just marginal results, but that's on me not the X5.

I was considering 124 or 147 grains as possible match ammo but have not tried any at this point.

Look forward to comment from others as I have very limited range access at this time, but working on getting that resolved soon hopefully.

Federal does several loads that are loaded specifically to hit a few PF points above the production/CO limit.

They're sold as their Syntech line, and have red polymer bullets (vs. the purple which are hotter to match their defense ammo).

I've shot 7 different kinds of factory ammo through our Sig P320 X5: CCI Blazer Brass 147gr, Speer TMJ 147gr, S&B 115gr, and a variety of 115gr ~17 CPR ammo from Walmart including Federal 115gr, Federal Aluminum 115gr, Remington UMC 115gr, and WWB 115gr. I tested groups freestyle, and the best grouping ammo was CCI Blazer Brass 147gr. Here's a couple pics I posted in the P320 X5 thread. This is a 5-shot group at 20y during zeroing with CCI Blazer Brass 147gr, it measures about 1.5":

zHQ7hMd.jpg

This is CCI Blazer Brass 147gr at various distances up to 25y to see what the bullet was doing at various distances. It measures about 2.5":

j1wtfEr.jpg

The CCI was a little stout so I wanted to get some 115s that had less recoil but were also economical and easily available at Walmart. I tested the different 115's and settled on Remington UMC. It seemed to have the best balance of recoil and accuracy. The best 5-shot group at 25y was a little over 2" and the recoil impulse seemed OK. WWB shot a little bit better but it had a little more felt recoil to me. Also, Remington UMC had a closer POI to the 147gr load in case I wanted to go between both bullet weights for some reason (like shooting spinners). Sorry, I've only been able to shoot at an indoor range so I don't have actual timer data on the splits, just going off how the recoil felt. I also wanted to note how basically everything shot well except S&B 115gr and that I've had no malfunctions in about 1k rounds so far. That might not seem like much but most of the rounds were shot rapid fire if that matters at all.

Edited by californiasushi

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming for those of us who don't reload.

I've got some left over Winchester  subsonic from my LE days but can't remember the weight on it right now. I don't recall the reason but the boxes had Law Enforcement Only printed on them. I'm not even sure if they still make that particular ammo anymore as I must have had it over 20 years. I have seen a few listings on Ammo Seek for subsonic 9mm ammo when browsing the selections.

I'll have to dig thru my supplies and see what the specs are on that one.

DK  

Edited by LawDog324

Federal 150gr TSJ Syntech load is my go to factory load for big uspsa/idpa matches. The 150 TSJ load sits right at 130PF out of my X5 and probably have the least felt recoil out of all the factory load I've shot so far. Since I only shoots action pistol matches, can't really comment on accuracy or group sizes at distance but for uspsa/idpa it is accurate enough.

I recently switched over to Syntech 130g with the sort of hybrid flat/ round bullet. Their 150g is marketed for “Action Pistol” and is more of a true flat nose; the 115g is regular round nose. In any case, The 130g is specifically marketed for PCC’s.  Has anyone shot this and had any return-fully-to-battery issues with it in your X5? I ran about 5100 rounds of Blazer 115g from day one with not one, single hiccup of any kind, USPSA and IDPA matches and practice included. I decided to try the Syntech and settled on the 130g because I read somewhere that the flatter bullet profile would help with all the plates and poppers, AND, because the Blazer is a little dirty. I immediately noticed a difference in my Guerrilla Approach Consistency dot drills for warm ups and cool downs. However, during my last match I had an FTB right after a reload about 40 rds in and, since I use my slide lock to reload, it could not have been related to a weak overhand reload. Then another FTB about 100 rds in.

Any thoughts? Could my recoil spring be losing some “oomph”?