Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon primer follower

Czgunsalot

What other alternative options are there available for a primer follower. I know Dillon will cover it under warranty but I need one now. 

I was trying to find a wooden dowel that is skinny enough but no luck. And I don’t want to use metal do you too spark or static. I don’t know let me know what you guys think

On 5/2/2019 at 1:02 PM, cvincent said:

I wouldn’t worry about static or sparking. I run the voltage from a 9v battery though my 650primer system.

I have not heard of this before,  can I ask why you are doing this?

I have not heard of this before,  can I ask why you are doing this?

I made a simple “sensor” to detect if the primer wheel is not rotating. It beeps every time the wheel indexes. Works well, but could use a little refinement, it blocks the live primer chute partially.

7925f07df66a2f7a3b3f586557c31902.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a 550 press.

Buy a brass rod from the hardware store. Slide it into the EMPTY primer magazine on the press. Pull the handle of the press, the brass rod will drop down about 1/8" more, locking the primer slide to the rear. Mark the top of the rod with a Sharpie marker, remove rod, and bend a 90 degree angle at the sharpie mark, cut the rest of the rod off. I use this on my 550. It adds weight to the primers, insuring positive feeding, and also does away with the primer warning system that has a tendency to fail. Using the brass rod in such a way prevents any rounds being loaded without a primer...You will definitely notice the primer slide locked to the rear and the difference in the feel of the press while it is locked to the rear when trying to seat a non existent primer.

Plastic welding rod is available in the correct diameter to fit inside the small primer tube. The hazard in a metal rod is it can potentially become an accidental firing pin.

6 hours ago, dillon said:

Plastic welding rod is available in the correct diameter to fit inside the small primer tube. The hazard in a metal rod is it can potentially become an accidental firing pin.

The metal rod also can become a nice semi-permanent ceiling ornament about 2 microseconds after it becomes an accidental firing pin.

14 minutes ago, Ming the Merciless said:

The metal rod also can become a nice semi-permanent ceiling ornament about 2 microseconds after it becomes an accidental firing pin.

Or a lightning rod for your roof, depending on the number and size of your primers. 

I would suggest to the OP that we go with what the experts say, in this case, the fine folks at Dillon. 

• 3 weeks later...