Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 34 Extended mag release experience

nick779

Anyone on here with a gen 5 running an extended mag release?

Ive been doing some digging and found that almost everyone hates the aluminium mag releases because they tear up mags.

That leaves pretty much just the Ghost release. Am I overlooking any other options or does anyone have recommendations?

12 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

Glockstore makes one with an aluminum button that screws into a stock plastic mag catch.

I overlooked that. I thought the entire thing was AL. 

1 hour ago, dapribek said:

Just a question, did you try an OEM Glock extended release?

No, I read that it was something stupid like .75 of a millimeter longer on the Glock forum.

I wanted to pick up a 5# FP spring and a few other little things and was able to snag a Ghost tac extended release on NDZ Performance. Its polymer and only $13. Heard good things about these ones and the button face appears to be a better fit for my grip. Beats $35 for the Glockstore option.

I really need to stop buying stuff...

Edited by nick779

I run that .75mm or .029” Glock extended on my 34 due to the fact it double duties as my GSSF stock gun and have never missed a mag drop in a USPSA match 

but then again I do shift my grip a bit when I reload 

the extension gets too big it creates other problems like support hand bump mid string (spontaneous mag release) so I went with minimal extension to help insure a good mag drop and minimal risk of SMR 

actually to think back I never had a problem before my case of new part syndrome. 

Burkett Reload drills of course help I just dump the mag on a low table or bed to ease picking up off the floor 

Edited by Amerflyer48

Anyone on here with a gen 5 running an extended mag release?

Ive been doing some digging and found that almost everyone hates the aluminium mag releases because they tear up mags.

That leaves pretty much just the Ghost release. Am I overlooking any other options or does anyone have recommendations?

I have the extended rectangular aluminum one from Glock store - the aluminum pad that screws down into an OEM mag release- works great. Tried the tear drop one - too big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/2/2019 at 1:22 PM, ArrDave said:

I have the extended rectangular aluminum one from Glock store - the aluminum pad that screws down into an OEM mag release- works great. Tried the tear drop one - too big

Whereas I have the tear drop one on three Glocks and love it. Bigger than average size hands, add a Hogue grip sleeve so the grip fits better and use a left thumb forward grip a la Bob Vogel.

To me these kinds of questions are close to unanswerable given the number of variables involved for each respondent. Unless someone has the same exact size hands, grip style and magazine drop preference as the OP, these conversations are no more useful than trial and error with a few products. Which is how most of us respondents ended up with our own experiences and opinions in the first place.

I might be buying the Glockstore model and or the OEM in the future. 

The Ghost Tac one appears to fix the problem, but it actually is stiffer than the factory release from the angle that you press on the mag release. It also took a good bit of sanding to fit it the same way the OEM fits into the grip.

I couldnt see a real difference in the way that the mag release spring seats in the Ghost release, but the Ghost is definitely harder to actuate and I still have to change my grip so back to OEM I go.

On glocks you have to press the front of the button to get it to work- the glockstore screws into the front of the button then cantilevers back. If you press the back of the glockstore button- it activates the front of the actual mag release as that’s where it’s anchored. A buddy after experiencing my GS button got one to replace his Ghost