Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Religious Shooter

Online Shooting Prescription Glasses?

Recommended Posts

I have conventional progressives: top=far, middle=intermediate, bottom=reading/near.

 

Went to my local Optometrist to try to get glasses that have near/reading on the top 1/3 of the glasses and the rest far.  The office guy said they couldn't do it that way.

 

Anybody know of any online vendors that can do top 1/3 reading/near on the top of the glasses?  Or any shop that can do it in Southern Kaliforniastan?

 

Current set-up is of course blurry with irons.  I don't tilt my head backwards (so the reading portion of the glasses is being used) when I shoot a pistol.  I tilt my head forward where the 1/3 top of the glasses (far prescription) is being looked through.  So irons are real blurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also worth looking at another local outlet.

Some call them occupational lens.  Lots of electrician's etc. use them.

My local guy had no problem doing that

They work great for seeing the front sight!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish there were more options for non-prescription full lens readers in .75,1.0,&1.25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I shot irons (12 years ago) I had both lenses simply focused for about three feet in front

of me - that made the sights clear, and the target was a little blurry, but it worked pretty well.    :) 

 

And, the glasses are inexpensive - just simple lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went this route a few months ago. I got these clip-on for my current glasses. It's an option that allows you to still use your current glasses and for under $25. I picked up these and was able to cut them to fit my frame. Easy on and off and still keep my current glasses, which my eyes are used to. But if you can, get a pair made using the Nike Evo S 1061. Just a thought.

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L86SX8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mwx40x40 said:

I just wish there were more options for non-prescription full lens readers in .75,1.0,&1.25.

You can check these Elvex glasses in Amazon. You can choose any from the magnification you want.

 

Elvex glasses

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had mine changed several ways, ended up with Rudy Project with inserts .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option is monovision lenses.  The lense for your dominate eye is corrected for clear vision at front sight distance and the other eye is corrected for distance vision, if necessary.

 

I've used monovision lenses for the last 15 years with very good results.  It takes a few minutes to get used to the first few times you use them, but after that your brain adapts almost instantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 3:28 PM, George16 said:

You can check these Elvex glasses in Amazon. You can choose any from the magnification you want.

 

Elvex glasses

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yep, already have all three strengths. My desire is for some of the nicer and tinted eye wear manufacture to offer the same thing elves.

i mean it would really be cool to get a pair of Oakley Prisms in 1.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mwx40x40 said:

Yep, already have all three strengths. My desire is for some of the nicer and tinted eye wear manufacture to offer the same thing elves.

i mean it would really be cool to get a pair of Oakley Prisms in 1.0

 

You can actually do that. I sent my prescription to Oakley to have them make my shooting glasses. Right lens was magnified at .5 while left lens wasn’t magnified at all. This is was done to correct my vision since everything is blurry at 4 feet or less while I can see clearly at distance. Fax or email them a copy of your rx after filling out the required info in their online prescription questionnaire.

 

Since I already have a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with TR22, TR45 and iridium polarized lenses, I requested a pair of rx Prizm lens for shooting with iron sights. I use either one of the non-rx lenses when shooting with a dot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Another option is monovision lenses.  The lense for your dominate eye is corrected for clear vision at front sight distance and the other eye is corrected for distance vision, if necessary.

 

I've used monovision lenses for the last 15 years with very good results.  It takes a few minutes to get used to the first few times you use them, but after that your brain adapts almost instantly.

I went this route.  Works well for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, George16 said:

 

You can actually do that. I sent my prescription to Oakley to have them make my shooting glasses. Right lens was magnified at .5 while left lens wasn’t magnified at all. This is was done to correct my vision since everything is blurry at 4 feet or less while I can see clearly at distance. Fax or email them a copy of your rx after filling out the required info in their online prescription questionnaire.

 

Since I already have a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with TR22, TR45 and iridium polarized lenses, I requested a pair of rx Prizm lens for shooting with iron sights. I use either one of the non-rx lenses when shooting with a dot.

 

 

I understand. But the Elvex as mentioned above do not require prescription. All the others do.

Ultimately I’ll get the rx 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to a guy at Decot.  From what is on their website and from what you guys are saying he eventually just recommended single vision lenses with the non-dominant set for far and the dominant eye set for a "soft" focus.  Meaning if your reading adjustment is +100 they would just do a +50.  Or something like that.

 

Anyways why would you not use this set-up for every day?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Religious Shooter said:

I talked to a guy at Decot.  From what is on their website and from what you guys are saying he eventually just recommended single vision lenses with the non-dominant set for far and the dominant eye set for a "soft" focus.  Meaning if your reading adjustment is +100 they would just do a +50.  Or something like that.

 

Anyways why would you not use this set-up for every day?

 

Thanks.

That’s exactly what I had done on mine (.5 on the right lens and 0 on my left) 

 

i dont one use it daily because of the diminished depth perception. This is the only drawback I noticed. It doesn’t give me headaches or make me dizzy compared to other people that have tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just shoot with a dot. It takes care of these types of problems. I know. Not super helpful, but I feel like the day will come when we remember back in the old days when we used to shoot iron sights, kind of like revolvers...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my shooting glasses set as follows;

Left eye - normal progressive

Right (shooting eye) - set to the distance of my front sight.

 

My optometrist wrote up the scrip and simply sent it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just what frgood said. Left regular distance and right eye for the front sight. It does take a bit to get used to but it isn’t bad. No dizziness or headaches. Very happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Hunter's Gold, mine are progressive and he made them the way I wanted. A great guy to deal with too. He supports the shooting sports also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also... lots of golfers have their bifocal setup that way too... with the reader portion at the top and the normal scrip in the rest of the lens.

 

so if that particular shop won’t do it... search for another.  If you don’t want to talk about guns/shooting then say it’s a golfer setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with ssp eye ware you can get the reader lens at the top of the lens comes in sets with clear, yellow and dark at a decent price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that wear contacts but still need 'readers' you can get full lens (not just the insert at the bottom) safety glass readers on Amazon in multiple diopters/strengths.  If you're handy you can even mix/match lenses to have different (or zero) magnification between eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...