Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Online Shooting Prescription Glasses?

I have conventional progressives: top=far, middle=intermediate, bottom=reading/near.

Went to my local Optometrist to try to get glasses that have near/reading on the top 1/3 of the glasses and the rest far.  The office guy said they couldn't do it that way.

Anybody know of any online vendors that can do top 1/3 reading/near on the top of the glasses?  Or any shop that can do it in Southern Kaliforniastan?

Current set-up is of course blurry with irons.  I don't tilt my head backwards (so the reading portion of the glasses is being used) when I shoot a pistol.  I tilt my head forward where the 1/3 top of the glasses (far prescription) is being looked through.  So irons are real blurry.

When I shot irons (12 years ago) I had both lenses simply focused for about three feet in front

of me - that made the sights clear, and the target was a little blurry, but it worked pretty well.    :) 

And, the glasses are inexpensive - just simple lenses.

I just went this route a few months ago. I got these clip-on for my current glasses. It's an option that allows you to still use your current glasses and for under $25. I picked up these and was able to cut them to fit my frame. Easy on and off and still keep my current glasses, which my eyes are used to. But if you can, get a pair made using the Nike Evo S 1061. Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L86SX8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 hours ago, mwx40x40 said:

I just wish there were more options for non-prescription full lens readers in .75,1.0,&1.25.

You can check these Elvex glasses in Amazon. You can choose any from the magnification you want.

Elvex glasses

Another option is monovision lenses.  The lense for your dominate eye is corrected for clear vision at front sight distance and the other eye is corrected for distance vision, if necessary.

I've used monovision lenses for the last 15 years with very good results.  It takes a few minutes to get used to the first few times you use them, but after that your brain adapts almost instantly.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:28 PM, George16 said:

You can check these Elvex glasses in Amazon. You can choose any from the magnification you want.

Elvex glasses

Yep, already have all three strengths. My desire is for some of the nicer and tinted eye wear manufacture to offer the same thing elves.

i mean it would really be cool to get a pair of Oakley Prisms in 1.0

21 minutes ago, mwx40x40 said:

Yep, already have all three strengths. My desire is for some of the nicer and tinted eye wear manufacture to offer the same thing elves.

i mean it would really be cool to get a pair of Oakley Prisms in 1.0

You can actually do that. I sent my prescription to Oakley to have them make my shooting glasses. Right lens was magnified at .5 while left lens wasn’t magnified at all. This is was done to correct my vision since everything is blurry at 4 feet or less while I can see clearly at distance. Fax or email them a copy of your rx after filling out the required info in their online prescription questionnaire.

Since I already have a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with TR22, TR45 and iridium polarized lenses, I requested a pair of rx Prizm lens for shooting with iron sights. I use either one of the non-rx lenses when shooting with a dot.

23 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Another option is monovision lenses.  The lense for your dominate eye is corrected for clear vision at front sight distance and the other eye is corrected for distance vision, if necessary.

I've used monovision lenses for the last 15 years with very good results.  It takes a few minutes to get used to the first few times you use them, but after that your brain adapts almost instantly.

I went this route.  Works well for me.

23 hours ago, George16 said:

You can actually do that. I sent my prescription to Oakley to have them make my shooting glasses. Right lens was magnified at .5 while left lens wasn’t magnified at all. This is was done to correct my vision since everything is blurry at 4 feet or less while I can see clearly at distance. Fax or email them a copy of your rx after filling out the required info in their online prescription questionnaire.

Since I already have a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XL with TR22, TR45 and iridium polarized lenses, I requested a pair of rx Prizm lens for shooting with iron sights. I use either one of the non-rx lenses when shooting with a dot.

I understand. But the Elvex as mentioned above do not require prescription. All the others do.

Ultimately I’ll get the rx 

I talked to a guy at Decot.  From what is on their website and from what you guys are saying he eventually just recommended single vision lenses with the non-dominant set for far and the dominant eye set for a "soft" focus.  Meaning if your reading adjustment is +100 they would just do a +50.  Or something like that.

Anyways why would you not use this set-up for every day?

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Religious Shooter said:

I talked to a guy at Decot.  From what is on their website and from what you guys are saying he eventually just recommended single vision lenses with the non-dominant set for far and the dominant eye set for a "soft" focus.  Meaning if your reading adjustment is +100 they would just do a +50.  Or something like that.

Anyways why would you not use this set-up for every day?

Thanks.

That’s exactly what I had done on mine (.5 on the right lens and 0 on my left) 

i dont one use it daily because of the diminished depth perception. This is the only drawback I noticed. It doesn’t give me headaches or make me dizzy compared to other people that have tried it.

• 1 month later...

Also... lots of golfers have their bifocal setup that way too... with the reader portion at the top and the normal scrip in the rest of the lens.

so if that particular shop won’t do it... search for another.  If you don’t want to talk about guns/shooting then say it’s a golfer setup.

For those that wear contacts but still need 'readers' you can get full lens (not just the insert at the bottom) safety glass readers on Amazon in multiple diopters/strengths.  If you're handy you can even mix/match lenses to have different (or zero) magnification between eyes.

• 1 year later...

It looks like the most recent post here is over a year ago but I'm stoked after finally getting a new pair of glasses for pistol shooting.  After reading all of the comments I decided to pay a visit to my optometrist who lucky for me turns out is also a shooter.  Funny what you find out about people when you communicate about more than the usual pleasantries.  We talked guns for a bit while doing my eye exam and I told him what I was after.  Two prescriptions.  One pair of progressives like usual and a pair of monovision.  He was of course familiar with monovision but when I told him I wanted to use my non-dominant eye for viewing my sights he looked at me like I had lost my mind.  He tried to talk me out of it and even verified that my left eye was my dominant eye.  I explained that when I bring my pistol up to fire my right eye is the eye that trains on the sights.  Perhaps its because I'm right handed and have been shooting left eye closed and/or open for a long time (pushing 60 now).  He prescribed both pair of glasses and I sent it off to zennioptical.com.  Got them in 2 weeks.  The new progressives are just like the ones I buy locally at half the price.  The monovisions were really cheap.  About $35 for the frames and the monovision lenses cost nothing extra.  Not bad for this experiment.  I brought my G19 up to arms length a number of times outside today and man I'm ready to give these babies a try.  I'm drawn to the sights with my right eye just like I expected and they're in perfect focus immediately.  And simultaneous distance viewing with my left eye is just a bit difficult but I can tell this is going to work great within a few day.  I figure it can't be any more difficult than getting used to progressive lenses.  The only downside is I ordered the shooting glasses thinking that I would use them for just that.  But I'm thinking I should've waited.  Been wearing the shooters around the house this evening.  Watched a move with them on and am working the computer with them.  Not perfect but I think it may turn out to be darn close.  I purchased the monovisions with the stock lens material to give it a try.  If this works out as great as I'm thinking I'll order a pair with polycarbonate lenses that have the auto tinting feature and maybe even throw in a reading script at the bottom.  Then I can carry with confidence because it'll be the only pair of glasses I need.  Much better than asking the bad guy if he minds waiting a minute while you switch your glasses out.  I almost never comment when I find these types of discussions but couldn't help myself tonight.  What a great idea.  Just glad Ming the Merciless thought to mention it!  I'll check in again in a few days and comment on how things are working out after giving them a try at the range.  Never thought I could be this excited again at my age.  Especially about something that doesn't involve the opposite sex.