Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

“DVC like” stipple job

Climbhard

39 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

Wondering if anyone has tried to create or reproduce a DVC like grip texture on their own?  How did it turn out?

Lots of people do Silicon Carbine and it turns out really well.

If you want to stipple your own grip, just be careful. Buy an extra used plastic grip and see how it works. Good luck on the Youtubes.

I've seen way too many horrendous "stipple jobs".

It's really easy if you know what quality work is, but as mentioned, there's a lot of people who just don't have the skills. I've seen a lot of horror jobs on Google. 

I suggest practicing on cheap AR grips that come with LPK's. 

Determine from there if you're good or not. 

26 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

Think I’ll probably just go Si Carbide 

I currently have the DVC grip and I am having one of the local GM's Silicon Carbide my grip. It's alot more aggressive and very effective for competition.

Look around at the next local you go to and find someone with it on their grip, then ask who did it. You may find someone local who does it like I did.

I find that using good quality grip tape will negate the need to do a full SC glue job on your grip.  I use Lowes/HD silicone carbide stair tape for some years and found the adhesive was weak, but worse than that was the majority of the SC came off after a match or two.

Switched to a better quality product sold as skate tape on Amazon and am quite pleased with durability of the SC and grip of the adhesive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072NBCF4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I find that using good quality grip tape will negate the need to do a full SC glue job on your grip.  I use Lowes/HD silicone carbide stair tape for some years and found the adhesive was weak, but worse than that was the majority of the SC came off after a match or two.

Switched to a better quality product sold as skate tape on Amazon and am quite pleased with durability of the SC and grip of the adhesive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072NBCF4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even with good tape, I still personally prefer the silicon carbide / epoxy grip job on any grip that has contours, finger grooves, etc. since those can make it difficult to apply tape without wrinkles. 

I have done both and have been happy either way. In the long run, if I was only going to us a polymer grip, I would probably prefer silicon carbide. Shaving the grip and using marine tex is quite simple. The biggest problem is the new plastic grips from some of the manufacturers are not molded as accurately as they used to be. Some are so out of spec they are causing hammer follow. The DVC is really easy to do, just order a soldering iron kit off amazon with the right tip and get busy with your belt sander. Or, you can save yourself $200 and a lot of time and just put the money you will wish you had spent on a Cheely Custom E2 right towards it.

@muncie21 if you grip hard, grip tape eventually wears down and comes loose. Even with all the tricks, like applying it warmed with a heat gun, it still shifts if you truly crush grip.

And eventually it wears down. With good skate tape like Mob or similar, I can get a year or two out of it.

I haven’t had that issue with it epoxied on, ever.

I wound up doing my own stippling job that I'm super happy with; it's super grippy and contoured the way I like it.  Used a soldering iron with a large tip and just took my time with it.  I'm the absolute worst at drawing, forming, etc., so if I can do it...

IMG_3734.jpg