Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 510c.... really the new "optic hotness"?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Do you have astigmatism, and the dot changes shape as it gets brighter?

Good point but dot remains same shape through different intensities. I certainly can't draw any conclusions until I try it again, especially better lighting conditions. 

Looking to put the 510C on a JP GMR 15 - trying to determine if I automatically need a riser or shoot it first to see. I’ve only shot a friends MPX and he had a large riser under the Romeo 5S.  If I need a riser who is recommended (FDE)?  Thanks for any insight. 

57 minutes ago, CTRFLDR said:

Looking to put the 510C on a JP GMR 15 - trying to determine if I automatically need a riser or shoot it first to see. I’ve only shot a friends MPX and he had a large riser under the Romeo 5S.  If I need a riser who is recommended (FDE)?  Thanks for any insight. 

I have a 510C on my MPX and on my VR80 (AR-like shotty) and they are both perfect height as is.  Can't see you needing a riser to use it on a JP rifle.

1 hour ago, CTRFLDR said:

Also shooting GMR15 with 510C, i find the factory height a little low , Was able to get a spacer (.200) to raise the 510C to 1.61”, which is an  improvement . Always shoot with my Red Dot  to 1.70”. . Holosun sells the spacer. But have to source mine here locally since Holosun doesnt ship up North.

8 minutes ago, ffgats said:

Also shooting GMR15 with 510C, i find the factory height a little low , Was able to get a spacer (.200) to raise the 510C to 1.61”, which is an  improvement . Always shoot with my Red Dot  to 1.70”. . Holosun sells the spacer. But have to source mine here locally since Holosun doesnt ship up North.

I see that Holosun offers a riser which brings the height to 1.63”, will go this route if I find it to be too low without it (need some FDE paint too). 

3 minutes ago, CTRFLDR said:

I see that Holosun offers a riser which brings the height to 1.63”, will go this route if I find it to be too low without it (need some FDE paint too). 

It's what I've done (minus the FDE 😀) on all my 510Cs, but it's a personal preference.  I got the Holosun risers, and they're perfect for me.

2 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

It's what I've done (minus the FDE 😀) on all my 510Cs, but it's a personal preference.  I got the Holosun risers, and they're perfect for me.

Good to know - I’ve reached out to Holosun to see if they offer the riser in FDE, will pick one up regardless of color if I find the optic needs a little height after the install. 

So I am now trying to get acquainted with the characteristics and sighting of my 510c. I previously commented that it's at the same height as my Cmore on an ADM mount however that was not an accurate statement. I now find myself using a 1/2 inch riser mount. It' sits at a higher position than the Cmore but not so much that it is any issue. Running some head box drills at 20 ,15 and 10 yards I'm trying to see if and when there is an advantage for the circle/dot versus just the dot. At 10 yards and in it seems the circle/dot Is faster. However Precision/ tight shots 20 yards and back I'm taking too long to aim since the circle sometimes obscures the outside boundaries of the target. Also even on closer targets  if the brightness is turned up too much there seems to be a lot of starburst coming off the center dot and into the circle which really blurs any kind of precision shooting if needed. Am I using this optic correctly? I believe there is more to this learning curve and I am aware of with the 510c. Anyone care to comment on their experiences with it? Thanks

9 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Anyone care to comment on their experiences with it? Thanks

I've got 5 HS510Cs on various PCCs and 22LR rifles, which I use for USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge.  I got the sights for the larger window, the circle dot reticle, and the ability to run it off of the solar panel when I'm just practicing.  Ran them all last year.  So, last weekend I was doing a Steel Challenge match when it occurred to me that looking at the circle dot was slowing me down.  I switched to the dot only, and found it was easier to concentrate on the dot under the fast target transitions.  Go figure.  May wind up switching back at some point, but for now that;s my favorite Steel Challenge setup.  Will try it both ways at the next USPSA match and see what happens.

Either way, it's a great sight.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag
24 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

I've got 5 HS510Cs on various PCCs and 22LR rifles, which I use for USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge.  I got the sights for the larger window, the circle dot reticle, and the ability to run it off of the solar panel when I'm just practicing.  Ran them all last year.  So, last weekend I was doing a Steel Challenge match when it occurred to me that looking at the circle dot was slowing me down.  I switched to the dot only, and found it was easier to concentrate on the dot under the fast target transitions.  Go figure.  May wind up switching back at some point, but for now that;s my favorite Steel Challenge setup.  Will try it both was at the next USPSA match and see what happens.

Either way, it's a great sight.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to run some more drills and especially ones that will include shooting on the move to see if the circle/dot combo is a benefit in that circumstance. I know Max L. is running one of these and certain occasions I've seen him with two, (one on a 45 angle mount) I wonder what sighting recticle he uses and if he ever changes depending on what an individual stage is presenting.

2 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the input. I'm going to run some more drills and especially ones that will include shooting on the move to see if the circle/dot combo is a benefit in that circumstance. I know Max L. is running one of these and certain occasions I've seen him with two, (one on a 45 angle mount) I wonder what sighting recticle he uses and if he ever changes depending on what an individual stage is presenting.

I know some people use a second red dot to make a weak side lean shot easier.  For me, it clutters up the rail, and I'm going to stick with using the laser for that purpose, as I already use it for classifiers that require quick shots up close, and I saves me having to take the time to mount the rifle to my shoulder.

4 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Yeah my curiosity is if Max would use the dot or dot/circle combo depending on stage conditions.

Don't know what Max would do, but I could imagine that for USPSA the circle/dot might be better.  All you're usually looking for is two quick hits on paper, in or close to the A zone.  If you need a lot of precise hits I could see the dot being better.

Of course, neither reticle will help me run faster. 😂

2 hours ago, MoRivera said:

Look like two of them.

It was a red and green run back to back for a test, dont think he ran this way long.  

I didn't like the circle and dot together it was to busy with dot movement so I just ran the dot.  

31 minutes ago, bwikel said:

I didn't like the circle and dot together it was to busy with dot movement so I just ran the dot.  

I am trying to find when the dot/circle is an advantage over the dot alone. Inside about 10 yards may be faster which is also where shoot on move is most advantageous. But when course of fire also has partials and tighter shots farther out I'm finding the circle part sometimes blocking  accuracy confirmation. I want to like it,not sure if I'm using it to it's potential.

On 5/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, CTRFLDR said:

I got the small riser from Holosun and really liked it. It made the alignment with my cheek weld better and I can track the dot better during fire.

i haven’t put a numerical benefit to it but for the money it’s worth it for me.

22 hours ago, vgdvc said:

I am trying to find when the dot/circle is an advantage over the dot alone. Inside about 10 yards may be faster which is also where shoot on move is most advantageous. But when course of fire also has partials and tighter shots farther out I'm finding the circle part sometimes blocking  accuracy confirmation. I want to like it,not sure if I'm using it to it's potential.

in the senario you are talking about......you could turn off the circle. On the other hand, I've had zero issues with what you are trying to say. and on steel.....I use the circle to anticipate the shot as I sweep across.

• 2 years later...

I resurrected this thread because I'm debating between a C-More Railway and a 510c for a RFRO gun.  I will use it only for steel challenge.  I have 507c so I am familiar with the circle/dot combination but not a 65 moa circle. If I get the C-More I will get the 16 moa dot. My main question is the brightness of the dot.  How do they compare?  Also, I like my 32 moa dot on my 507c.  Do you ever find the 65 moa dot to be too big?

I have astigmatism , so dots are not my favorite optic. I use a Vortex Spitfire 1X on my PCC and a 5.56 AR, with 1X optic. I really like the circle dot sight picture. I’m sure it’s heavier than the Holosun, but all that weight is at the receiver, where it’s easily managed. 

The Spitfire has both red & green options on the same scope. I have both an older model , with rotary switch and the newer “AR” version, with the push buttons. The rotary knob version is definitely brighter. I sent the AR version back to Vortex and they confirmed that the brightness was in spec for that model. Also, the Spitfire is an etched reticle, so it doesn’t “flare” for people with astigmatism and if batteries die, i have a black (non-illuminated) reticle. 

I use 510Cs on everything. I have it set up on my open CZ Chezmate. And on my black Mamba 22lr. I love the large window and circle dot setup. The other thing that is great is their warranty, they pay shipping both ways and stand behind the product.  JD 

24 minutes ago, JDIllon said:

I use 510Cs on everything. I have it set up on my open CZ Chezmate. And on my black Mamba 22lr. I love the large window and circle dot setup. The other thing that is great is their warranty, they pay shipping both ways and stand behind the product.  JD 

I have a 507 C-Gr. I have often said that if I had my choice, I'd have the 507C's 32 moa circle and dot on an SRO or DPP (I have both) window. You obviously don't feel like the 64 moa circle is too big?

18 hours ago, fastlane604 said:

I have a 507 C-Gr. I have often said that if I had my choice, I'd have the 507C's 32 moa circle and dot on an SRO or DPP (I have both) window. You obviously don't feel like the 64 moa circle is too big?

I’m 78 so bigger is better! LOL! I have 13 510Cs. I run them on everything except where they have to mount on the slide. Then I have been using Alpha3s. JD