Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large frame 23-round basepad, spring and follower

Dazhi

I am having issues with the Henning basepad + Gram spring/follower combo, twice in match settings.  I loaded 22 rounds in the mag, and after shooting the first 2 rounds the follower and spring got stuck on the bottom, rendering the whole thing a salt shaker.  Before each stage, I always unload all used or unused mags regardless if they have hit the ground or not,  reload them with care and handle them gently, avoid bumping/raming on those loaded mags.   Still, the issue keeps happening.  I thought 22 rounds are safe with this combo?  This is happening to both relatively new (<1000 rounds) and old (5000+ rounds) mags. 

Does anyone know other alternatives?  

Edited - this never happens in my practices probably because I rarely load up to 22 rounds.  Most time in practices I load to 20 rounds.

Edited by Dazhi

Definitely sounds like the follower is hanging on the bottom of the mag tube. Chamfer follower or mag body etc.

Could you provide a picture of where you have chamfered?

I have similar issues trying to get 22 to 23 rounds out of a 141mm 75 b mag.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I am interested to know how/where to chamfer as well.

Here is a comparison of an relatively used (on the left) vs. new (on the right) spring/follower.

Notice both have a tilt on the follower. When the stuck happens, the follower gets squeezed to the side of the tube by the spring, with a couple rounds stuck side by side in the tube near the bottom.

Not sure if this tilt is by design? It certainly seems to facilite the stuck.d92b629a539e0e194f6c3ff4f131ca10.jpg35eab406b23f1a0e32bead13f29fe622.jpg20166e0546224b7781babb3a63fd412d.jpg

Sent from my LG-h910 using Tapatalk

On 4/28/2019 at 7:29 PM, Dazhi said:

I am having issues with the Henning basepad + Gram spring/follower combo, twice in match settings.  I loaded 22 rounds in the mag, and after shooting the first 2 rounds the follower and spring got stuck on the bottom, rendering the whole thing a salt shaker.  Before each stage, I always unload all used or unused mags regardless if they have hit the ground or not,  reload them with care and handle them gently, avoid bumping/raming on those loaded mags.   Still, the issue keeps happening.  I thought 22 rounds are safe with this combo?  This is happening to both relatively new (<1000 rounds) and old (5000+ rounds) mags. 

Does anyone know other alternatives?  

Edited - this never happens in my practices probably because I rarely load up to 22 rounds.  Most time in practices I load to 20 rounds.

I had the same issue.  Also had the same with the TF +10 base pad.  My solution was to use a dremel with a straight hs steel bit (small diameter) and relieve material inside the pad, where it joins the mag tube.  Be careful and easy, it can grab and gouge.  Slope the edge down inside the base to make it match the tube, then gradual slope about 1/4 inch deep, to give a smooth transition.  All the way around inside the base, and front I took more off.

This worked 100% for me.

Edited by Dan4147

Thanks for the idea.  However, I looked closely at the basepad connecting to the tube, it's pretty smooth.  

Here is the picture of what happened when the rounds got stuck on the bottom.  They got stuck above the basepad.  My gut feeling was the follower is too narrow, plus there is a tilt of the follower.  There is enough space horizontally inside the mag tube, causing the narrow follower to go sideways along with the rounds when the spring is pushed very hard.  That's why it only happens when I load 22 rounds, not 21 or 20. 

I will make sure to take some closeup pictures of the stuck situation next time.  

magissue.jpg

Edited by Dazhi

If mag tube and basepad contact is an issue, straight 140mm tube will do much better?  I wonder if anyone sells Tanfo 140mm tubes. 

Nobody, other than Mecgar makes magazine bodies for Tanfoglio that I know of.

14 hours ago, Dazhi said:

Thanks for the idea.  However, I looked closely at the basepad connecting to the tube, it's pretty smooth.  

Here is the picture of what happened when the rounds got stuck on the bottom.  They got stuck above the basepad.  My gut feeling was the follower is too narrow, plus there is a tilt of the follower.  There is enough space horizontally inside the mag tube, causing the narrow follower to go sideways along with the rounds when the spring is pushed very hard.  That's why it only happens when I load 22 rounds, not 21 or 20. 

I will make sure to take some closeup pictures of the stuck situation next time.  

magissue.jpg

What you are showing is what everyone had told you. At 22 or 23, the follower gets below the interface. Smooth the interface and the follower won't tip.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:29 PM, johnbu said:

What you are showing is what everyone had told you. At 22 or 23, the follower gets below the interface. Smooth the interface and the follower won't tip.

Yep!

Gerat info.  I wonder if the MBX mags will be overweight.  Going to try it once they are back in stock. 

I 2000 grit sanded + blue magic polished the basepad inner walls, and the mag tube bottom inner wall.  Not exactly sure where to chamfer the follower.  The thing looks pretty smooth already.  Any pointers?

Take your LULA and push it up and down on the stack a few times, every few bullets, when you start getting near max. It is supposed to align the bullets better in the mag.

I read this somewhere about loading Open big sticks. Should work here too.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:41 PM, Dan4147 said:

MBX has them.  The best!  They are out of 171, maybe in a month or two.

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=caspian_141_25_38mag

At my last match a really high level shooter was running an MBX 141mm with his Lim Pro set up for Carry Optics.  It does rattle around a little bit inside the frame but, it was 100% reliable.  He said he preferred it over the Hennings and he has never had any issues with it.  The way the basepad is designed it is certainly easier to assemble and take apart for cleaning as well.  He had no issues making weight (although it was a lim pro so weight should not really be a concern)

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2019 at 1:09 PM, Dazhi said:

Gerat info.  I wonder if the MBX mags will be overweight.  Going to try it once they are back in stock. 

I 2000 grit sanded + blue magic polished the basepad inner walls, and the mag tube bottom inner wall.  Not exactly sure where to chamfer the follower.  The thing looks pretty smooth already.  Any pointers?

File or dremel the "lip" below the groove that the mag slides into. Just did this for a buddy.  he was limited to 20 before to be reliable, instantly went to 22.  once the springs set, he will be 23 reloadable.

13 hours ago, johnbu said:

File or dremel the "lip" below the groove that the mag slides into. Just did this for a buddy.  he was limited to 20 before to be reliable, instantly went to 22.  once the springs set, he will be 23 reloadable.

👍👍

• 4 weeks later...