Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 vs Glock 34

apetrulis01

4 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

My buddy has a heavy frame .40 limited division p320 with an absolutely incredible trigger, far better than the best glock triggers I have felt. I would be faster on the trigger with that p320 than with any similarly built glock. And it soaks up recoil almost as well as my CZ TS. If you must shoot plastic, I dont know of a better option. Then again, if your glock runs, the grip angle is awesome for recoil control and it's cheap. If I were spending the money, I'd upgrade to a steel CZ. I'm not a fan of 2011s, mainly because the expense doesn't justify the gain, if there is one, over a CZ.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Details on the heavy frame?

I'm in the very beginning stages of a limited build, which I decided to do not specifically because of any superlatives, but mostly because I wanted to stay within the P320 platform to not have to keep learning new manuals of arms.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, be032 said:

Details on the heavy frame?

I'm in the very beginning stages of a limited build, which I decided to do not specifically because of any superlatives, but mostly because I wanted to stay within the P320 platform to not have to keep learning new manuals of arms.

SSI tungsten grip with tungsten weight, springer tungsten guide rod, 13 lb 1911 recoil spring, broken TLR-1 with brass rods that are the same size as cr123s. I haven’t weighed it yet but it is at least as heavy as a full dust cover plastic grip 2011. Probably heavier. I’m running the Dawson sights. Obsessive shooter and I were testing muzzle rise with slow mo and the  CZ TS was slightly less muzzle rise. 

I had two 2011s and sold them to stick with the 320 platform because that’s what I use for work. I don’t feel I’ve left anything on the table by switching. 

As as far as Glock 34 vs X5, I feel it’s all comes down to personal preference and what accessories either offer. I’ve shot a lot Glocks and think the Glock vs 320 is preference. With enough practice anyone can get used to any platform. Just stick with one platform and buy more bullets. 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, Manwithnoname said:

SSI tungsten grip with tungsten weight, springer tungsten guide rod, 13 lb 1911 recoil spring, broken TLR-1 with brass rods that are the same size as cr123s. I haven’t weighed it yet but it is at least as heavy as a full dust cover plastic grip 2011. Probably heavier. I’m running the Dawson sights. Obsessive shooter and I were testing muzzle rise with slow mo and the  CZ TS was slightly less muzzle rise. 

I had two 2011s and sold them to stick with the 320 platform because that’s what I use for work. I don’t feel I’ve left anything on the table by switching. 

As as far as Glock 34 vs X5, I feel it’s all comes down to personal preference and what accessories either offer. I’ve shot a lot Glocks and think the Glock vs 320 is preference. With enough practice anyone can get used to any platform. Just stick with one platform and buy more bullets. 

Nice, I think that's where I was, except skipping the SSI grip ($250 for 3 oz!), and getting tungsten rods instead of brass.

Who made your holster? I have the Blackhawk Omnivore that's the universal TLR-1 fit, but it has a little more friction than I would like.

Edited by be032

4 minutes ago, be032 said:

Nice, I think that's where I was, except skipping the SSI grip ($250 for 3 oz!), and getting tungsten rods instead of brass.

Who made your holster? I have the Blackhawk Omnivore that's the universal TLR-1 fit, but it has a little more friction than I would like.

I played with different weights and found the brass rods balanced best for me. I used AR buffet weights and had a friend pour lead around them. It was HEAVY. It’s was great for shooting single rounds. Once you got 2-3 rounds quickly, it was hard to control the muzzle from moving up and down. 

RHT made my holster. There is ZERO retention so I’m thinking about putting some strap or something on it to prevent it from coming out while resetting a stage.  

13 minutes ago, be032 said:

Armor all the inside of your holster

• 3 months later...

I own and shoot both of these guns.  Both of my guns are modified.  I'm not a competitor, just a weekend weenie.  I have smaller hands.  In current configuration, I prefer my Glock 34 as it fits my hand size better.  From an accuracy standpoint it is a coin flip.  If Sig would come out with the smaller grip module for the X5 as they have been promising for the past few years, my opinion might change.  The Sig is easier to clean due to the removable "chassis".  In my opinion, if your gun fits you well, you will shoot it well.  Get the gun that fits you and practice with it, and you'll do well instead of jumping from platform to platform.  Good luck with your decision.

SInce this post came out originally I have switched departments and found myself having to go back to Glocks for work. Being a guy who doesn’t like switching platforms between work and sport, I bought a Gen 5 Glock 34 MOS to shoot in USPSA. I love my P320s, but I have to tell you guys, I shoot the Gen 5 34 better. I made GM in Production with a Gen 3 34, and shooting the Gen 5 is like coming back home, but better. I think Glock definitely did some things right with the Gen 5. All that said though, I still dig my Sigs, and wouldn’t hesitate recommending them to someone looking for a pistol.....but dang are those Gen 5s good.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:14 AM, BillGarlandJr said:

SInce this post came out originally I have switched departments and found myself having to go back to Glocks for work. Being a guy who doesn’t like switching platforms between work and sport, I bought a Gen 5 Glock 34 MOS to shoot in USPSA. I love my P320s, but I have to tell you guys, I shoot the Gen 5 34 better. I made GM in Production with a Gen 3 34, and shooting the Gen 5 is like coming back home, but better. I think Glock definitely did some things right with the Gen 5. All that said though, I still dig my Sigs, and wouldn’t hesitate recommending them to someone looking for a pistol.....but dang are those Gen 5s good.

What’s so good about the gen 5? I haven’t shot a Glock in a while but I feel like a glocks a Glock 

• 4 months later...

I've had both for some time now.  Both super reliable.  Both modified triggers.  Running the same Bayou 145's in in each with no feed issues.  Since I got the X5, the 34 just sits in the safe.  X5 more comfy to shoot.  Accuracy is a coin flip between the two.  I have a few modified 9mm pistols from a few manufacturers and the 34 doesn't come into the top 4 of what I have.  The 34 will probably be sold off in the spring.

I had a G34 agency and Zev both were $2k+ each. I rather take the X5 legion and go nuts with it and still have $ for ammo or even better just a bunch of ammo

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

On 1/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, CZ173 said:

I had a G34 agency and Zev both were $2k+ each. I rather take the X5 legion and go nuts with it and still have $ for ammo or even better just a bunch of ammo

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Exactly this. The X5 just runs and runs and the perceived recoil is next to nothing with 124g handloads. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Uomu said:

G34 gen5 for me with some uograde....

You haven't shot an X-Five or an X-Five Legion.

The P320 design is more advanced and Glock cannot match it.

You simply cannot get a Glock trigger to break as clean as a P320 trigger....it's a design thing.

And as it should be. These SIG pistols have come to market some 30+ years after Glock.

I shot the G17 CO for two years. Both my G17s had Johnny Glock competition triggers. Six months ago I started shooting the X5 Legion. Both X5 have the Grey Gun trigger kit with the Keres adjustable trigger. While the triggers on my X5s are pretty good, they are not as good as the Johnny Glock triggers. Reset is better on the glocks. Also the glock triggers feel crisper. However I prefer the ergonomics and weight of the X5 Legions.

Owned both. Gen 3 and 5 for g34 and 3 different x5 legions. 

Equal accuracy. I like where the g34 trigger breaks vs the x5. X5 mags always drop vs the g34 often sticking.

I'd go with whichever you grip best. The x5 is heavier so you'll actually be slower at first.

I’ve shot both and run a Glock for work.  But I prefer the x5.  I haven’t shot the legion yet, but even the original x5 I liked more than the 34.  I think it’s all personal preference but between the two, I’d go with the X5.

• 2 months later...

Both are great guns.  I prefer the trigger on my X5 (non legion) since installing a gray guns trigger.   I also feel like the X5 handles recoil better.   I upgraded to the Tungsten grip module but I haven’t shot it as much as I did with the original grip.  From what I can tell it handles recoil even better now.   

I'd say X5 legion with a tungsten guide rod, 11# spring and GG trigger is still the best polymer gun for soft recoil and return to zero. But I really dislike how heavy it has to be to reduce recoil. I wish Sig would find a way to reduce their bore axis; the distance between beaver tail and muzzle is literally twice that of a Glock (hence, two times the torque under equal force). X5 like gun with reduced bore axis would have been wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 6:59 PM, Tango said:

I'd say X5 legion with a tungsten guide rod, 11# spring and GG trigger is still the best polymer gun for soft recoil and return to zero. But I really dislike how heavy it has to be to reduce recoil. I wish Sig would find a way to reduce their bore axis; the distance between beaver tail and muzzle is literally twice that of a Glock (hence, two times the torque under equal force). X5 like gun with reduced bore axis would have been wonderful!

Or just a heavy frame for a Glock-based platform. Zev is really missing an opportunity by not providing an all steel or tungsten-infused polymer frame for the OZ9. As others have mentioned, there are already very good triggers (Johnny Glocks, Tactical Trigger) available, and the bore axis is much better. If it had the same weight as the P320, it would be hands down better, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both.  The X5 is noticeably better for me.  I am faster with the SIG as per my timer.

I have modified both guns and the SIG is made to a higher quality standard than the Glock. 

With the removable chassis, the SIG is easier to maintain.

My only complaint is that SIG doesn't come out with the small grip for the X5.

Truthfully, I didn't want to love either gun, the SIG has won me over.

Just my opinion

Good luck with your choice.

Edited by Polaris13

I've shot Glocks for work for 25 years and have a 35 set up for limited.  I ran an EGW Para before the Glock and just never thought the Glock was as good, especially the trigger.  I had whatever the hot "Glock" trigger was 15-20 years ago.... LOL!!!  It's light, that's not the issue, it just doesn't feel as good as the 2011 platform.  I bought a built 2011 from "Freedom Gunworks", it runs great, feels great.  It is steel framed and the gun runs like a top.  I've had the odd issue with the MBX Mags, but they run for the most part.

I shot the Sig X5 Legion as well as any of them in the first 5 minutes with the gun.  Now with the GreyGuns trigger?  Even better.  It just feels good in the hand.  Points well for me. And it shoots very soft.   I found myself not thinking about the gun and "just shooting", that's all you can ask for.... FWIW. 😉