Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 vs Glock 34

apetrulis01

Alright, I have been running Glocks most my life but feel I need something else to push the speed even more. I am looking for something other then dropping 3000 on a STI type gun. The X5 seems to fit good in the hand and have shot the X Compact. How does the X5 compare to the Glock 34 as far as recoil, accuracy, etc. 

Thanks, 

Adam

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot Glocks on and off for years.

Last venture was from a 34 in carry optics to a 320RX sig then a 320 X-5

With a gray guns trigger and

some recoil spring tuning (same as 34)

I find the 320 line x-5 or RX a better mouse trap.

Triggers seem to be better for me

Recoil control is simpler i.e. I point the gun better than a Glock thus manage the gun overall better

Mine are more accurate out of the box with no barrels etc than any  Glock I've owned or do own.

The x-5 is a 2" gun at 25yds the RX about 2 1/2 at 25yds (rested) with my 125 Bayou hand load.

Gun feels better to me with 124/5 gr bullets than 147's BUT my 34 felt better with the 124/5's also

FWIW

Hello: The P320X5 has less felt recoil with 124's than a Glock 34. I like the Glock 34 with 135 or 147 grain bullet at 131PF. I did the trigger and it is under 3lbs. The X5 just feels softer shooting to me but still transitions very well. I thought the higher bore axis would be a problem but it is not and feels good in the hand. Both are setup for Carry optics but I actually like the Glock 17 more than the 34 for Carry optics. The Glocks I have are gen3's if that makes a difference and have tungsten guide rods and 13lb recoil springs in them. The X5 has a Gray Guns trigger and a steel Gray guns guide rod with a 14lb recoil spring for now. Thanks, Eric

If you don't own either I'd get the x5.

I wouldn't trade a glock for an x5 and expect it to be heaps better. 

This is what I did and I regret it. 

The stock trigger sucks, the gray guns kit is a must imo. The X5 is more accurate at 25 yards and beyond. 

6 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

Alright, I have been running Glocks most my life but feel I need something else to push the speed even more. I am looking for something other then dropping 3000 on a STI type gun. The X5 seems to fit good in the hand and have shot the X Compact. How does the X5 compare to the Glock 34 as far as recoil, accuracy, etc. 

As they say, it's not the arrows, it's the Warrior. There are National Champions who shoot 34s.

Spend the money on a lesson or two and more practice ammo.

I realize that and have state titles shooting the Glock. Just wondering if I can get a better arrow as well. 

18 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

As they say, it's not the arrows, it's the Warrior. There are National Champions who shoot 34s.

Spend the money on a lesson or two and more practice ammo.

I was a Glock 34 guy for a long time. Made GM in Production with one. For the past 4 1/2 years I've been a P320 guy, and specifically the X5 for the last two. The X5 shoots and handles very well for me. I believe in its accuracy and know if I can see something I can hit it. I've been shooting my X5 with the stock trigger since I bought it, and I'll say this about it versus the Grayguns trigger... I can shoot it well, but its more work to do so. There is a tiny bit more muzzle sight lift with the X5 than with the Glock 34. I think that's due to the higher bore axis, but that said, the X5 and all the other P320 variants return on target so quick and consistently its a wash. If I was starting again and had to choose between the P320 X5, and the Glock 34 I'd go with the X5. It points more naturally for me, and I think there is less to be done to get it match ready.....a guide rod and a spring and good work could be done with it. With the Glock 34 I had to do sights, trigger, and a barrel to get it where I was happy with it.

Alright, I have been running Glocks most my life but feel I need something else to push the speed even more.

I don't know what you mean by this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Compare them in their stock configuration, the X5 is a little better but not by much. The heavier weight and bigger grip makes overall balance and recoil control better. Both have good potential for aftermarket improvement but you would spent less money to improve the X5 compare to a G34.

I have been running a 17 and 19 for years. I have won Area 6 3 gun limited division twice shooting the 17. Without going into the STIs and 3000 dollar guns I was just wondering if the X5 would give me an advantage and minor speed boost over the Glock. Thank you all who have responded so far. 

Adam

I switched from a G34 to an X5 this year. I like it more. It fits my hand better and the recoil feels softer. The stock trigger in the X5 was better than the G34 stock, and when I put the Gray Guns trigger in it was better than my modified G34 trigger.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make for a shooter of your level. I would think at that point it just depends on your personal preference. 

I have been running a 17 and 19 for years. I have won Area 6 3 gun limited division twice shooting the 17. Without going into the STIs and 3000 dollar guns I was just wondering if the X5 would give me an advantage and minor speed boost over the Glock. Thank you all who have responded so far. 

Adam
How would you get a speed boost from switching plastic gun A for plastic gun B?

24 minutes ago, wtturn said:

How would you get a speed boost from switching plastic gun A for plastic gun B?

That is why I am asking the question. To see if there is any speed boost that others have seen. 

Hello: I don't think one is faster than the other platform if you practice with each one. Right now I am actually faster with my Glock than the Sig. I only have about 400 rounds down range with the Sig and only 40,000 with the Glocks. Since I shoot alot of 1911/2011 style pistols the Sig seems to point better for me but the Glock works after a dozen draws. Thanks, Eric

Own both, like both, still prefer M&P with Apex....

I run 115gr Xtreme Bullets with AA#2, CCI primers, and range brass... in the same everything...  

The P320 X5 has great recoil impulse for such a high bore axis.  Personally the trigger is the biggest fail, playing with the apex is a little better, but haven't had a chance to play with the grety guns.  

The Glock 34 I've been shooting for years and compare everything to it.  I have reduced weight springs (excluding recoil spring which is stock).  I think it has a better recoil impulse and second best trigger only to the M&P with the Apex.

I think the key defining difference for preference between the P320 and Glock is going to be the grip angle...  The trigger can be modified and I honestly don't think one is better than the other.  There isn't really anything significant other than grip angle to shift between one of the other.  On the other hand the M&P with the apex trigger installed is a significantly better trigger than either.

From my observations and experience: If you started shooting with a Glock, stick with a Glock, your muscle memory in your wrist is developed for that grip angle. If you started shooting with anything else other than a P.08 Luger, go with the Sig, again your muscle memory has developed for the more conventional grip angle.

I started with anything else (the Glock hadn't been invented yet), but was forced to carry a Glock (still am), the Sig X5 was a small miracle for me.

20 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

Adam

Adam, its sounds like you're damn good with the Glock. Frankly, I'm really no faster with my X5 than I was with my Glocks. In fact, I can still pull some faster splits with the Glock. For me the X5 is just more comfortable to shoot. The grip angle is more comfortable, and the big thing for me is my strong hand doesn't get chewed up by the slide as it did with Glocks. So, all that being said, I don't think there is an appreciable speed advantage to be had with one platform over the other.

8 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Adam, its sounds like you're damn good with the Glock. Frankly, I'm really no faster with my X5 than I was with my Glocks. In fact, I can still pull some faster splits with the Glock. For me the X5 is just more comfortable to shoot. The grip angle is more comfortable, and the big thing for me is my strong hand doesn't get chewed up by the slide as it did with Glocks. So, all that being said, I don't think there is an appreciable speed advantage to be had with one platform over the other.

Thanks. I don't have the money to by an X5 just to try it out and then try to sell it if I don't like it. So I was just trying to ask if you get any type of boost from it over the Glock 34. 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, apetrulis01 said:

I realize that and have state titles shooting the Glock. Just wondering if I can get a better arrow as well. 

Glocks require you to roll your wrists forward which in my opinion helps manage muzzle flip and therefor gives you a flatter shooting gun.  You are bored with the Glocks and I get it, but you shoot them well.  If you really want a change, go 1911.  That is when you will notice a real significant difference.  

7 hours ago, be032 said:

Relevant.

Based solely on this video, I have come to the conclusion that glocks are jamming turds.  You should post this on Glock talk and see heads explode haha.  Just joking Glock fanboys, glocks are good, just not quite as reliable as a Sig, and here is some video evidence.    :roflol:

18 minutes ago, RJH said:

Based solely on this video, I have come to the conclusion that glocks are jamming turds.  You should post this on Glock talk and see heads explode haha.  Just joking Glock fanboys, glocks are good, just not quite as reliable as a Sig, and here is some video evidence.    :roflol:

The only conclusion I made from that video is that Yong Lee struggles with reloads on the Glock, but they both shoot really well. 

I almost picked up an X5 last month over my G5 34, but I didnt want to be locked to Sig optics and my LGS who is a "SIGnificant Exclusive Dealer" said that SIG warranty support has been spotty from the manufacturer on guns and optics alike.

They pointed me towards a PPQ Match, I also checked out the SF version, but my fingers are just too long for the PPQ frames. The X5 with the GreyGuns Trigger is pretty nice, but having poor parts availability/warranty support doesnt sit well with me.

My buddy has a heavy frame .40 limited division p320 with an absolutely incredible trigger, far better than the best glock triggers I have felt. I would be faster on the trigger with that p320 than with any similarly built glock. And it soaks up recoil almost as well as my CZ TS. If you must shoot plastic, I dont know of a better option. Then again, if your glock runs, the grip angle is awesome for recoil control and it's cheap. If I were spending the money, I'd upgrade to a steel CZ. I'm not a fan of 2011s, mainly because the expense doesn't justify the gain, if there is one, over a CZ.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk