Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Ultralight Aluminum Barrel

There seems to be enough conversation on this new barrel that I figured we could start a consolidated topic. Here's my impressions of the aluminum ultralight so far.

The ultralight signifcantly drops the weight and changes the balance point back towards the handguard. This is pretty obvious but everyone's reaction so far has been that the ultralight is surprisingly light. 

The compensator works. This is a nice touch to help keep you on target. It works well with both factory 9mm 115s and my own 147 handloads. We had some great conditions to watch the gas pattern around the comp and you can clearly see the JP design works. 

This is a great option for folks that don't want to deal with the hassle of a SBR. The ultralight balances very similar to my 10.5" GMR15 SBR. The Ultralite is also an awesome option for Steel Challenge and youth shooter. Mine will be at every Steel Challenge match our club hosts as a loaner. 

If you want to know any specifics or plan on ordering one shoot me a PM. I'm always happy to answer any questions or maybe save you a bit on your order. 

FB_IMG_1556470958348.jpg

37 minutes ago, Shadow said:

You mentioned it would be at every steel challenge match, what about USPSA PCC?  Which barrel do prefer for that?

I shoot a 10.5" SBR for USPSA. Getting through stages with walls designed for 5' nothing folks shooting pistols got old as a 6'3" PCC shooter. In steel challenge length is less of a detriment. 

The Ultralight is awesome for USPSA too and a very solid option for folks that don't want to wait 7 days for their Form 1 online to clear. Either choice gives folks that like a lighter rifle a solid option. 

17 minutes ago, Neomet said:

Any noticeable difference in dot bounce??

Not really once I tuned the Short Stroke SCS to the load and barrel. Just like any barrel, if you want absolute minimum dot bounce you tune the load and buffer weight. I can give you starting points if you like. 

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I’d like that....😬 please?

147s with about 3.2 grains of Titegroup I liked the 5 Tungsten Short Stroke SCS. 

115s with around 4.5 grains of Titegroup try a 5 Stainless. This worked well for factory as well. 

It will depend a bit on your load for sure but those were my preferences. Short Stroke SCS has been my preference for everything. 

3 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

147s with about 3.2 grains of Titegroup I liked the 5 Tungsten Short Stroke SCS. 

115s with around 4.5 grains of Titegroup try a 5 Stainless. This worked well for factory as well. 

It will depend a bit on your load for sure but those were my preferences. Short Stroke SCS has been my preference for everything. 

Anything for 125s? 

I have the 5 weight stainless (shiny?) short stroke.

when I ordered it that was the only one they made at the time. Of course after they came out with the different weighted versions. 

2 hours ago, SpaceMan said:

Anything for 125s? 

I have the 5 weight stainless (shiny?) short stroke.

when I ordered it that was the only one they made at the time. Of course after they came out with the different weighted versions. 

Try it as is. Maybe try with 2 tungsten weights if you want to get crazy. Part # is JPSCS-HM.

We are talking pretty minor differences when we talk SCS wright tuning compared to large differences between standard 9mm SCS and Short Stroke. 

On 4/28/2019 at 1:58 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

Not really once I tuned the Short Stroke SCS to the load and barrel. Just like any barrel, if you want absolute minimum dot bounce you tune the load and buffer weight. I can give you starting points if you like. 

Maybe a bit off topic... but is anyone running the short stroke SCS with a Colt pattern lower?

16 hours ago, ABQautoxer said:

Because of the shorter rifled barrel, will I have to increase my loads to get the same cyclic speed of the BCG or can I just change out a tungsten for a stainless. I have a SS'd SCS.

I did not put a high speed camera on the barrels for comparison of bolt speed.

Without getting too much into the weeds I'm not a big fan of working out the physics to find theoretically optimal setups. Rather I focus my testing on objective results. Does the dot move more or less? Is recoil more or less in my shoulder? Are the hit factors higher in my drills? I did some subjective testing like is this "easier" to shoot on the move or does this "feel" better transitioning. 

15 hours ago, mahamoti said:

Maybe a bit off topic... but is anyone running the short stroke SCS with a Colt pattern lower?

I do not know of anyone. Most folks around my area are running Glock mags. I might be able to borrow a mag block but it would be a long while before I get back to you on that. 

On 4/28/2019 at 10:13 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

There seems to be enough conversation on this new barrel that I figured we could start a consolidated topic. Here's my impressions of the aluminum ultralight so far.

The ultralight signifcantly drops the weight and changes the balance point back towards the handguard. This is pretty obvious but everyone's reaction so far has been that the ultralight is surprisingly light. 

The compensator works. This is a nice touch to help keep you on target. It works well with both factory 9mm 115s and my own 147 handloads. We had some great conditions to watch the gas pattern around the comp and you can clearly see the JP design works. 

This is a great option for folks that don't want to deal with the hassle of a SBR. The ultralight balances very similar to my 10.5" GMR15 SBR. The Ultralite is also an awesome option for Steel Challenge and youth shooter. Mine will be at every Steel Challenge match our club hosts as a loaner. 

If you want to know any specifics or plan on ordering one shoot me a PM. I'm always happy to answer any questions or maybe save you a bit on your order

FB_IMG_1556470958348.jpg

Again BSF 14.5 is lighter than JP ultralight

Just now, 3GN said:
3 minutes ago, SpaceMan said:

Bsf is 15.2 without a comp

jp is 15.5 

You are right but that’s not a comp(just aluminum extension) on JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it’s out to 16” so you don’t need anything to make it non sbr like you would need with a bsf

But it’s out to 16” so you don’t need anything to make it non sbr like you would need with a bsf

Again BSF is better a bit
7afcf873f2fbfbf2d9d052ab095fed13.jpg

Do you have a handguard on top of the handguard that’s already part of the BSF barrel? Double hand guard? Is that Coda Evolution Ti comp pinned and welded? Why not have no hand guard or at least the Coda Carbon Hand guard? Is that a JP upper receiver? I have so many questions from just one photo!!

It’s a Carbon BSF barrel with JP mkIII HANDGUARD,Coda TI comp and yes it’s a JP rifle

Why is no handguard not an option with the BSF barrel? Isn’t that carbon shroud a handguard of sorts with the actual barrel contained inside that shroud? Maybe I’m just not understanding that barrel.

I send you picture later hope you better understand me