Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another gun option??

I have been shooting Glocks for years and years but looking to possibly move to another platform. It would be used 3 gun, USPSA and possibly IDPA. I like 2011s but don't feel like dropping 2000 for a handgun. What else is out there. I have been looking at Sig X5 but what else. 

Thanks, 

Adam

CZ P10 and Walther PPQ/Q5 / Q5SF both have vastly superior triggers to Glock in striker guns.

Sig X5 / P320

Tanfoglio for sure is worth a look. Stock 2 / Limited Pro / Limited Elite if you want to go 2011 single-action competitior.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the CZ's. I switched from a Canik striker fired gun to a Shadow 2 last year and haven't really looked back. Getting a Shadow 2 to make weight for IDPA is non trivial w.r.t. machining (and therefore $$$), but the SP-01/Shadow is almost every bit as good and makes weight with no real additional work needed.

Personally, I find the Sig X5 to be...not great. Even with the grey guns kit installed, I find the trigger to be worse than even a stock PPQ (the reset in particular). It is nice that 140mm mags are available for it off the shelf though (...ish - some sandpaper is required on the plastic basepad to fit the gauge).

get a bigger Glock,,, if you like the grip angle and it works for you run it.  They can and have won just about every division they are legal in. You can trick em out at home, and they tend to be pretty accurate and durable. So really no logical reason to change platforms.
HOWEVER;  who needs logic when its time to buy new guns,,,,  I LOVE my wide body 2011 platforms... Para, and STI,,, there are even some imports now getting nice guns in, some based on Para design and some on STI like the SPS,,,  
Walthers have wicked short resets out of the box, might be fun for you... or you can do what I did when I kinda burned out on action pistol sports,,, got a pair of 58 remingtons and a horse and started mounted shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 3:56 PM, random_guy7531 said:

+1 on the CZ's. I switched from a Canik striker fired gun to a Shadow 2 last year and haven't really looked back. Getting a Shadow 2 to make weight for IDPA is non trivial w.r.t. machining (and therefore $$$), but the SP-01/Shadow is almost every bit as good and makes weight with no real additional work needed.

Personally, I find the Sig X5 to be...not great. Even with the grey guns kit installed, I find the trigger to be worse than even a stock PPQ (the reset in particular). It is nice that 140mm mags are available for it off the shelf though (...ish - some sandpaper is required on the plastic basepad to fit the gauge).

I agree about the X-Five.  I had one stock and with a variety of ways to improve the trigger...none of which I thought helped 🙂

After a few tries with a Shadow 2 I settled on the PPQ Q5 SF and think it’s great...until something cooler comes out!

• 2 weeks later...

The Canik line and the SFX have a lot going for them. If your on a tight budget or just plain want a really great shooter? for a small expense consider them. They are very accurate, use Metalform mags (18, 20, 22 rounds with TF base pads). Carry Optics ready, and on and on...... and run like a clock. I've cut the stock recoil spring to 14#'s, use the Vortex Venom 6 moa red dot added the Freedom Arms trigger (stock is fine, FA just moves the action forward). $650/$700 total will do all this

On 6/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, mike NM said:

The Canik line and the SFX have a lot going for them. If your on a tight budget or just plain want a really great shooter? for a small expense consider them. They are very accurate, use Metalform mags (18, 20, 22 rounds with TF base pads). Carry Optics ready, and on and on...... and run like a clock. I've cut the stock recoil spring to 14#'s, use the Vortex Venom 6 moa red dot added the Freedom Arms trigger (stock is fine, FA just moves the action forward). $650/$700 total will do all this

my buddy has a Sig X5 i have shot it, it's ok the trigger is so so, he then did an aftermarket trigger, it was nice to shoot, a little pricey after the trigger was done,  he then tried a Canik TP9SFX and i shot it, more accurate by a small margin than the x5, i shoot a CZ shadow 2 with a few mods, so i went a purchased a Canik, recoil spring a little stiff, called Canik and they sent me a lighter captured spring set up no charge, shoots a tad tighter than my shadow 2. Canik has something good with the that TP9SFX  gun, it is sort of big for my wife's hands, she did shoot a few shots, and she actually shoots it better than her Walthers PPQ.

chet

On 5/1/2019 at 10:37 PM, keonard said:

Arex Alpha.  

i never heard of them, i just checked them out, in fact a nice article in this months American Rifleman. just should have made it optic ready, by looking at it, does it seem to be a high bore axis.

chet

Canik SFx is great with a few fairly inexpensive tuneups. 6.5lb or 28 Newton Glock striker spring, Ghost Glock RP block plunger spring, one of several uncaptured guide rods with a lighter recoil spring, FreedomSmith USA trigger. 

Another option that should be here soon is the SARUSA SAR9 optics ready model. I have one of their standard SAR9 pistols and it is way too much fun. $10 in springs got the trigger down to ~3lbs, it has a really low bore axis, a great grip and comes with three backstraps and three sets of interchangeable grip panels like an H&K P30. If you shop around, you can find the standard model for dirt cheap. It is a very soft shooting pistol. When I first took it to the range, I loaded it with 124gr NATO spec ammo (124gr at 1230fps -- 152pf) and thought I had accidentally loaded it with my CO 130pf loads.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 9:48 PM, chetc said:

i never heard of them, i just checked them out, in fact a nice article in this months American Rifleman. just should have made it optic ready, by looking at it, does it seem to be a high bore axis.

chet

They sell an attachment to add the optic. They even sell the optic....See my recent review below.  Bore axis is mitigated by a lighter slide than "other" guns....q5sf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjc4y3R9UoM&t=1s

As a Glock shooter myself, I've been really impressed by the Canik SFX I picked up recently. The size and weight are comparable to a G34, but my SFX is considerably more accurate than my G34, and more importantly, it's easier to shoot accurately fast. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, Yondering said:

As a Glock shooter myself, I've been really impressed by the Canik SFX I picked up recently. The size and weight are comparable to a G34, but my SFX is considerably more accurate than my G34, and more importantly, it's easier to shoot accurately fast. 

If you haven’t tried a FreedomSmith USA trigger on your SFx yet, check them out. They get rid of about 95% of the takeup and almost all of the overtravel as well. 

I have finally done about everything I can to my SFx short of lightening the slide (which I will be doing soon) and it has turned out fairly amazing. The SFx is a steal at its current price point.