Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jumping into PCC: Buy complete or Frankenstein

6 hours ago, Gunjack said:

I'm looking very closely at MPX gen3. What variety of ammo do you use in your MPX? Factory soft loads, hot loads... is it forgiving with different combinations of reloading formulas?

It's a piston gas gun, so it loves heat.  I run the cheapest factory ammo that SGAmmo.com happens to have that week by the case, usually Sellier & bellot 115s or Fiocchi.  Never an issue.  When I first got my first one (the Gen2) I ran my -P pistol loads through it - subsonic 147s that barely made PF.  They would run if the gun was very clean, but the cycling action felt sluggish and after ~150 rounds it would FTF intermittently till cleaned.  Hot factory 115s feel exactly the same in terms of recoil, but run perfectly.  I don't reload, so I can't help there, but a ton on this forum with MPXs do. 

If you get a chance at the range, compare an MPX running factory with anyone else running an AR9 where they've spent the time tuning the load and buffer to get it as soft as possible.  The MPX will still likely win in terms of perceived recoil.  Mine does to me.  There are half a dozen guys I've shot with for years that are all running neat looking Lead Star game guns, and they all feel like jack hammers to me after the MPX.    

19 hours ago, NervousEnergy said:

It's a piston gas gun, so it loves heat.  I run the cheapest factory ammo that SGAmmo.com happens to have that week by the case, usually Sellier bellot 115s or Fiocchi.  Never an issue.  When I first got my first one (the Gen2) I ran my -P pistol loads through it - subsonic 147s that barely made PF.  They would run if the gun was very clean, but the cycling action felt sluggish and after ~150 rounds it would FTF intermittently till cleaned.  Hot factory 115s feel exactly the same in terms of recoil, but run perfectly.  I don't reload, so I can't help there, but a ton on this forum with MPXs do. 

If you get a chance at the range, compare an MPX running factory with anyone else running an AR9 where they've spent the time tuning the load and buffer to get it as soft as possible.  The MPX will still likely win in terms of perceived recoil.  Mine does to me.  There are half a dozen guys I've shot with for years that are all running neat looking Lead Star game guns, and they all feel like jack hammers to me after the MPX.    

Thanks for the input … this helped