Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Slides

Smitty79

I shoot 7000 rounds a year from a CZ Shadow and another 2k a year from various other handguns.   With major 175 pf 45 or 135 pf 9mm, I can't feel the delay in the slide for any guns but my 1911s.   I have a Dan Wesson Heritage and a Springfield Range Officer.  For both of them, it seems like I'm waiting for the slide to cycle before I can make follow up shots.   I doubt that is actually true.   But it sure feels like the the slide is taking a long time to cycle.

Is this just a feature of 1911s?   Is something wrong with them that I can fix?   If so, how do I fix it?   I suspect that a heavier recoil spring is the way to go.

I shoot 7000 rounds a year from a CZ Shadow and another 2k a year from various other handguns.   With major 175 pf 45 or 135 pf 9mm, I can't feel the delay in the slide for any guns but my 1911s.   I have a Dan Wesson Heritage and a Springfield Range Officer.  For both of them, it seems like I'm waiting for the slide to cycle before I can make follow up shots.   I doubt that is actually true.   But it sure feels like the the slide is taking a long time to cycle.

Is this just a feature of 1911s?   Is something wrong with them that I can fix?   If so, how do I fix it?   I suspect that a heavier recoil spring is the way to go.
both of them have heavy slides so there's a lot of reciprocating mass. Many semi custom and full custom 1911/2011s have slides lightened significantly to about 10 oz. which gets that mass moving fast. Do you still have the stock recoil springs in?
if so, go to a lighter spring

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

One of my 45s is a Sic Tacops with no mods.  I run a 14 lb. recoil spring for my 172PF major loads.  230gr loads are a significant disadvantage in 45, so drop to 200 or 185.  Cycling will be quicker and the sights snap back faster.

As others have said. Lighter bullet and lighter spring. I shoot a 200gr bullet with a 14lb spring. Adding a shok buff might help too. The slightly shorter slide travel makes it feel a little faster for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, HCH said:

What is your split time with both guns?

Actual data, man that is crazy talk :) .

I think one of the reasons that the slide can seem slower is that the shooter has recovered faster, he/she is better able to manage the motion of the gun and is less distracted by blast and smoke, and that is a wonderful thing. Besides comparing split times I think a close look at accuracy on easy targets is warranted. 

On 4/26/2019 at 6:28 AM, Smitty79 said:

For both of them, it seems like I'm waiting for the slide to cycle before I can make follow up shots.   I doubt that is actually true.   But it sure feels like the the slide is taking a long time to cycle.

If you have heard 1911's and similar accidentally double or triple or empty a mag full auto it sounds a whole lot faster than hearing someone like Max Michelle or Alex Gutt lay into a point blank range target. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

On 4/26/2019 at 2:28 PM, Smitty79 said:

change it from low gear to D. 😀

of coarse  u need heavier spring.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:28 AM, Smitty79 said:

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I think one of the reasons that the slide can seem slower is that the shooter has recovered faster, he/she is better able to manage the motion of the gun and is less distracted by blast and smoke, and that is a wonderful thing. Besides comparing split times I think a close look at accuracy on easy targets is warranted. 

I think Gas might be onto something. I have noticed that my Limcat will seem slower when I am warmed up and not tired. I find that I am moving the gun before the slide has cycled fully onto the next target. Brand new recoil spring, consistent loads. My split time on those is something like .11 seconds, so nothing Earth shattering.

Yes, I think it is when a shooter is in the zone. Much like when we all first started shooting: one eye closed, blinking upon firing, waiting to see what we hit, etc. Now it's both eyes open, hearing the bullets hit the paper target, watching the dot in real time go slightly up and then down, follow up shot, lather, rinse, repeat. 

Edited by Nevadazielmeister

7 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Yes, I think it is when a shooter is in the zone.

Agreed, different context though. 

Strictly speaking about springs / loads / perception of slide speed / I think sometimes when things are right it might reduce the amount of sensory load you get from percussion & recoil related movement. The slide seems slower because the human recovers faster. 

Maybe not. Data is king. 

12 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

I should go shoot some Bill drills.  Still, it feels unlike any of my other guns.  

If you do, it would be interesting if you would post the results. 

Thinking about this thread has convinced me to drop back down to a 6 lb recoil spring on my Tanfo stock 2. Tried the low weight after reading (internet babble) that B.Stoeger was running 6 lb in his S2 and I liked it but then got nervous that I might not have enough spring to prevent damage, heck with it, people who sell replacement parts gotta eat too.  

The guy that recently won the Production/SS battle of the Bluegrass match (John Vlieger) let me shoot his 1911 after a match last year, if memory serves that was a Rock Island gun that he put a lot of love and higher end parts into including a really light slide spring. 

Have no idea why the background color changed while I was typing. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1911 slides in full profile are heavy and slow as stated above.  Whats funny is with either major or minor in a 1911 I run about a .14 split on open 7yd targets, so while compared to the relatively light slides on your CZs the impression is they are slow and you are waiting for them the reality is they are not that slow and if you are waiting for something its not the gun.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:19 PM, MikeBurgess said:

1911 slides in full profile are heavy and slow as stated above.  Whats funny is with either major or minor in a 1911 I run about a .14 split on open 7yd targets, so while compared to the relatively light slides on your CZs the impression is they are slow and you are waiting for them the reality is they are not that slow and if you are waiting for something its not the gun.

I haven't shot my 1911 for a while.  Was shooting a Walther.  Until reading this I thread I couldn't figure why I felt I was waiting for the 1911 to cycle.