Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1301 gen1?


heckofagator
 Share

Recommended Posts

hi all, I've been keeping my eye out for a deal on an m3k or 1301 comp for a while ago.  Super casual shooter, really not doing any competitions but would like to someday.

 

a used 1301 comp came up for sale locally at what seems to be a good price - $650.  Listed as the 2nd owner with about 300 total rounds thru it.  Looks like some scuffs here and there but I guess that's not a huge deal.  However, it was the "gen1" command that caught my eye.

 

Anything to be aware of with these first gens?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The serial number location near the loading port somewhat restricts opening up the loading port.  Some Gen 1 guns may or may not run 1oz birdshot loads without changing the gas valve spring.  My Gen 1 gun had the spring issue, two of my friends do not and run 1oz loads fine.

 

Lots of info here:

http://www.practical-shotgun.com/category/beretta-1301

 

The Gen 2 guns have a little larger loading port and the serial number is relocated making it easier to open the loading port even more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Beretta 1301 v1 is excellent and overall a superior gun imho. However it has a unique manual of arms so you’ll either love or hate it. The shell loading button issue is overstated (most people never encounter it) but it can be remedied with an inexpensive plastic guard.

 

Steoger, Franchi Affinity, and the Benneli M2 are all very similar with fit, finish, and reliability in ascending order. The Affinity is quite a bargain I think.

 

All of these companies are owned by Beretta!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Frankly said:

The Beretta 1301 v1 is excellent and overall a superior gun imho.

 

 

 

I've heard great things about the 1301 comp for years - so I'm trying not to be bugged out by the gen1 designation.  I know plenty of people have done fine with them for quite a while and if the seller had not even said "gen1" in the add, I wouldn't even have known to look up the differences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blockader said:

If you aren't shooting in matches none of the differences matter really. 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, this is where I struggle.  I might very well never shoot a real match.  They have "fun shotgun" matches up at the local club and that might be a good stepping stone before jumping into multigun.

 

But I'd hate to save a couple hundred and realize that I should have just bought better now, but then again, I might never even know the difference from what I end up doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gen 2 1301 was close to $1200, and that's the cheapest I could find. So almost double the cost of the used one you are looking at. 

 

If you get to the point in 3-gun where the v1 is what's holding you back that will frankly be an awesome problem to have. 

 

The most important thing with 3gun, in my NOT an expert opinion, is just to get started. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The majority of 1301s I see at matches are still gen 1s, and most of the rave reviews you see of them are from the gen 1 era. If you can find a gen 2 for a decent price then it'd probably be nice to have that relocated serial, but I don't have any trouble loading quads in my cut up gen 1.

And for what it's worth, Beretta has pretty good customer service.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2019 at 7:38 AM, RAINY0DAYS said:

The majority of 1301s I see at matches are still gen 1s, and most of the rave reviews you see of them are from the gen 1 era. If you can find a gen 2 for a decent price then it'd probably be nice to have that relocated serial, but I don't have any trouble loading quads in my cut up gen 1.

And for what it's worth, Beretta has pretty good customer service.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
 

 

Nor did the Gen 1 1301 limit Roberto Vizzoli's performance, multiple time shotgun world champion. Check YouTube for his quad reloading video and look in the mega thread here on the 1301 for photos of how he was able to open up the loading port. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most important thing about a 3gun shotgun is that it is reliable.  Quadloading .75 seconds faster than the next guy is not going to help you as much as continuously having to clear jams and malfunctions is going to hurt you.  

 

The 1301 V1 is a solid reliable shotgun that does not need much care and cleaning to keep it running.  At 300 rounds, that gun is not even broken in yet and that sounds like a good price.  

 

The earlier post about the difference in the manual of arms is correct.  I'm in the love it category but it is not for everyone. The location of the safety take some time getting used to and is always going to be slower than the traditional location.  Its designed for hunters and skeet shooters, not 3gunners.  

 

The bolt catch release "death jam" is total Internet BS.  Never had it happen during practice or in a match and the ability to unload the tube without cycling through the chamber is something you will appreciate during dryfire practice.  You won't need or want the little plastic piece they sell to prevent it.  That's just someone trying to make a buck on a problem that does not exist.

 

As long as this 1301 is is reasonable shape, I don't think you can go wrong at $650.  I would like to know how a shotgun goes through 2 owners with only 300 rounds though.  That's a question I would want the answer to before buying.  

 

You did not mention if it was a 21 or 24 inch.  24 is better in my personal unqualified opinion.  Personally I'd like to have a 26 if they made one.  

 

Edited by Terry44
Link to comment
Share on other sites

gun is 24".

 

Its still available - seller and I are having a hard time getting together as we're 1.5 hrs apart.  I know, not huge but I'm not big on driving.

 

And....I've also since found the m3k freedom series selling for under $500 delivered.   Again, I think the 1301 is the better firearm, but new would be nice too.  I think the 1301 has some scrapes, but nothing huge.

 

So thanks for the continued advice and still mulling this over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2019 at 11:56 PM, Terry44 said:

 

The bolt catch release "death jam" is total Internet BS.  Never had it happen during practice or in a match and the ability to unload the tube without cycling through the chamber is something you will appreciate during dryfire practice.  You won't need or want the little plastic piece they sell to prevent it.  That's just someone trying to make a buck on a problem that does not exist.

 

 

After 2 years and 19k rounds in ipsc shotgun with a Beretta. I need to change 3 tome my complete trigger group. Only 1 mod : a little cut at the end of the lifter... Unfortunally problems exist.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2019 at 11:48 AM, Eagle4 said:

 

After 2 years and 19k rounds in ipsc shotgun with a Beretta. I need to change 3 tome my complete trigger group. Only 1 mod : a little cut at the end of the lifter... Unfortunally problems exist.

 

 

 

It looks like you may be having a problem with a loose trigger housing.  Try putting a thin piece of pasteboard (business card or playing card) between the rear of the trigger housing and the receiver.  More info in the link below.

 

http://www.practical-shotgun.com/beretta-1301-double-feeds-carrier-lock-ups

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2019 at 2:04 AM, Ming the Merciless said:

 

It looks like you may be having a problem with a loose trigger housing.  Try putting a thin piece of pasteboard (business card or playing card) between the rear of the trigger housing and the receiver.  More info in the link below.

 

http://www.practical-shotgun.com/beretta-1301-double-feeds-carrier-lock-ups

 

My permanent solution is to shoot with a M2. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seller ended up traveling over to this side of the state this evening so we'll be meeting up in a couple hours.

 

$600 agreed upon price.  I almost pulled the trigger on a new m3k freedom for $490 plus $25 shipping but I'm excited to have the Beretta.  I think she's got a couple scrapes here and there but then at least maybe people will think I actually get to shoot alot.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...