Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 X5 Questions

ELSOS

I just bought a 320 X5 today and plan on shooting it in CO eventually. I will be shooting NATO ball through the gun because I get a ton of it free from work. What add onshave you guy done and what would you recommend to tame the ammo? I plan on swapping out the guide rod to use 1911 recoil springs. Any spring weight recommendations?

I just set one up and put in the springer tungsten guide rod. I’m using a 12lb spring but with hotter factory ammo would guess you would not want to go that low. I like the added weight though. I’d also recommend silicon carbide treating the grip or adding grip tape to your preference as it is pretty slick.

Also have a gray guns competition trigger on the way but don’t have experience on one yet. I’ve only shot a couple week night matches with mine but am pretty impressed with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grip tape and a gray guns kit. 

I tried a 14lb recoil spring on a steel guiderod but felt like the original returns better. 

Hopefully the hot ammo doesnt wreck cases/blow out your extractor during a match. 

Weak brass bulges because there is not much chamber support. 

Hello: I am still setting mine up but so far I have the Gray Guns trigger kit, GG steel guide rod and I am using a 14lb ISMI recoil spring. I think either a 14 or 15 pound spring should be good for you. I am going to stipple my grip and if I don't like that I will silicon carbide it. The grips are cheap so I plan on having two for different games. Thanks, Eric

With NATO Ball ammo I'd run a 15# recoil spring. You may even want to try the factory recoil spring assembly. I have an X5 I've shot more factory ammo through than any other ammo and as the factory recoil spring assembly has aged and gotten some rounds on it it has broken in very nicely. Little muzzle rise and the dot returns quickly and consistently. If you do start running 1911 recoils springs the Springer Precision guide rods are the way to go. I like the tungsten, especially with a little hotter ammo. I've had good luck with Springer Precision's pre-cut grip tape. What I do to get it to stick on and wear on the gun better is use a heat gun when applying, and then also put a thin bead of gorilla glue on the outer edge. I've done that on all of my P320 grips and it stays put. It's actually not all that tough to remove when you want to put some fresh tape on their either. The Grayguns trigger kit is a nice upgrade, but not necessary. They're great pistols. Enjoy.

I've been running Blazer Brass 115 in mine since I got it a little over two months ago. I ended up buying 1500 rounds during the Federal rebate program, and I have had no issues with it or any type of malfunctions with the ammo. My game plan is after getting it broken in with the hotter loads to change to 124 grain factory ammo to see how it runs that recoil wise. I don't reload or have any plans to start at this time and from what others have said you only save 3 or 4 cents per round on 9mm at this time. 

I have installed the Gray Guns competition trigger kit along with a springer  guide rod and 14# spring that I have not tested yet. I checked my trigger pull prior to the install and it showed an average 5.11 lbs. on ten pulls, after I'm showing 3.11 lbs. avg. on 10 pulls. My X5 came with the FCU modification from the factory and the trigger was pretty good from the start but is smoother and shorter with the Gray Gun kit.

I ended up putting a Vortex Razor red dot mounted on a springer adaptor plate as the just had Romeo 1 had to many issues with others that had tried it. I am still planning on doing something on the grip, but not sure if I'll go with grip tape or Alma's epoxy work up. I also have a 12.5 return spring on standby when I go lighter on the ammo.

It's a great gun, it just take some time getting use to it and for me it's my first striker fired pistol I've own. Enjoy and happy shooting!!!

DK

I had been using a 13lb recoil spring but used a 14lb spring today at a local match and I really liked it better. To each their own. You should test some different rates but for those hot ones, should probably stick with the factory GR ass'y.

Shooting mine about 1 year now. Burke trigger job, Romeo1 6MOA, Springer tungsten guide rod , 14 lb spring ( shooting 147 grains at 130 PF) SSI grip module, with the tungsten weights added.Brings the weight up to really softens the recoil, and the grip is fatter and better in my hand.  I will use the stock grip with Talon Grip tape in Steel Challenge as it is lighter, but either way it shoots well.

I like the idea of the SSI heavy grip module but it may be a bit wide for my small hands. Has anyone tried replacing the factory grip weight with the tungsten one? Taking the magwell off completely changed the balance of the gun to me and now it feels muzzle heavy. 

I'd love to do the tungsten grip and plug but you could spend that money and the money you got from selling your x5 on a shadow 2. 

I have been tempted to DIY a solution at home but can't find tungsten shot anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the SSI Tungsten grip module & Guide rod. Definitely worth the money to me, the factory grip module is to narrow for my hands and now that’s definitely not an issue. The grip module has a very similar profile to my 2011 now. The gun was noticeably softer/flatter shooting. It’s pricey but worth it if you plan on taking things serious in CO. 

I just order the SSI heavy grip module. I shoot Limited the majority of the time with a 2011 so I like the idea of my X5 feeling like that gun and being a bit heavier. I already have the tungsten slug but haven’t gotten the guide rod yet. I’m going to give the Grayguns guide rod a go and may switch later. GoGuns is claiming their X5 *thumb rest [generic]* https://gogunusa.com/products/gas-pedal-cg-for-sig-p320-sku-320 is CO and Production legal but I haven’t seen any verbage from USPSA confirming that yet. Has anyone seen any info on that?

Does Appendix D4 21.6 apply? 

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

Not a rule expert but I would expect that the rules that apply would be the one that allows for stippling, undercutting etc. and then the maximum weight rule.

It is a factory grip after all that has been stippled and weighted.

I don’t have one of the SSI and haven’t seen one. But I know of some local shooters who built up their own.

1 minute ago, kujo929 said:

Not a rule expert but I would expect that the rules that apply would be the one that allows for stippling, undercutting etc. and then the maximum weight rule.

Hmm. I thought the question was about the "gas petal" slide stop.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:08 PM, dansedgli said:

I'd love to do the tungsten grip and plug but you could spend that money and the money you got from selling your x5 on a shadow 2. 

I have been tempted to DIY a solution at home but can't find tungsten shot anywhere. 

Dan, what about using tungsten powder used f for weighting golf club handles? Not sure what availability is like in Australia, but it's pretty prevalent in the states. There's a standard weight, which is about like lead powder, and the more dense variety.

Hmm. I thought the question was about the "gas petal" slide stop.

My fault. Read the grip part.

I wouldn’t expect the *thumb rest [generic]* to be legal. I use one on a duty gun that is 40cal and it certainly helps. But I would expect that is NOT legal in CO

Dan, what about using tungsten powder used f for weighting golf club handles? Not sure what availability is like in Australia, but it's pretty prevalent in the states. There's a standard weight, which is about like lead powder, and the more dense variety.

I’ve messed with the tungsten powder. Several applications only added around an ounce. Which leads me to believe it can work but will take some work to add any significant amount.

I had read on here a few had tried powder with not much success.  

I still don't know how ssi do it but i assume its shot.

Ive got lead shot for a ghetto version when i find some spare time.  

I figure they grind it down and build it back up in layers to get the weight and additional size.  

At least if i stuff it up its not a huge loss. 

1 hour ago, kujo929 said:

I’ve messed with the tungsten powder. Several applications only added around an ounce. Which leads me to believe it can work but will take some work to add any significant amount.

I do all the silicon carbide on my grip modules myself.  I added tungsten powder to the epoxy and it added about 0.6 oz. Better than not adding it, but hardly noticeable.