Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range officer won't shoot my reloads?...

Weever82

So I have been on here talking about my new Range Officer and that I am a newb with 1911's. I'm purchasing all goodies to get running in SS matches.

I went to shoot it at the range yesterday for the first time with my reloads and roughly 59/60 rounds either failed to eject, failed to feed or got stuck in the barrel...

130pf, 1.124 115gr, 124gr and 147gr berrys HBFP... These are the rounds I shoot in my shadow 2 for a few years now. I also shoot these exact rounds in my buddies RO for about 10 magazines worth flawless.

Even though my RO is new, I am not the original owner so I don't think I can send it into Springfield...

Possibly the barrel needs "reemed" out... Super bummed.. saved up over a year for this gun. 😥

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading

So I have been on here talking about my new Range Officer and that I am a newb with 1911's. I'm purchasing all goodies to get running in SS matches.

I went to shoot it at the range yesterday for the first time with my reloads and roughly 59/60 rounds either failed to eject, failed to feed or got stuck in the barrel...

130pf, 1.124 115gr, 124gr and 147gr berrys HBFP... These are the rounds I shoot in my shadow 2 for a few years now. I also shoot these exact rounds in my buddies RO for about 10 magazines worth flawless.

Even though my RO is new, I am not the original owner so I don't think I can send it into Springfield...

Possibly the barrel needs "reemed" out... Super bummed.. saved up over a year for this gun. [emoji26]

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading
did you try the plunk test with your ammo in the RO? 147s are usually longer and need to go shorter. Or, it could need more crimp too

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

did you try the plunk test with your ammo in the RO? 147s are usually longer and need to go shorter. Or, it could need more crimp too

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes I did. well, not all of them but a bunch when I was reloading. But they all worked in my friends Range Officer that is 100% stock still..

I also case gauge every round when I load.

Edited by Weever82

I have a stainless RO in 9mm, and the chamber IS tight.  You could have your chamber reamed, or you could simply adjust your dies to suit your RO's chamber.  

Either too much or too little crimp could cause your issues, as well as not sizing all the way down.  

"Plunk and spin" check your reloads to check function before going to the match! 

I adjusted my extractor's tension, and relieved the bottom edge of the extractor to allow rounds to slide up under it more easily.  I also fit an oversized slide stop to keep my extractor from "clocking".  

You can research each of these topics, and find a wealth of information on them.  Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's!  LOL!  

The good part is, once you have it all worked out, you will likely have many thousand rounds of trouble-free, accurate shooting to come!  

1 minute ago, Weever82 said:

Yes I did. well, not all of them but a bunch when I was reloading. But they all worked in my friends Range Officer that is 100% stock still..

Based on that, I'd say your extractor is either too loose or too tight.  Take the slide off, insert a loaded round under the extractor, and shake lightly.  If it falls out easily, the extractor is too loose.  If it doesn't fall out at all, it is too tight.  

The other possibility is that you aren't sizing all the way to the base.  Most rounds will chamber OK, but when you get to one that has been fired in a loose chamber, it will stick.  

4 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

I have a stainless RO in 9mm, and the chamber IS tight.  You could have your chamber reamed, or you could simply adjust your dies to suit your RO's chamber.  

Either too much or too little crimp could cause your issues, as well as not sizing all the way down.  

"Plunk and spin" check your reloads to check function before going to the match! 

I adjusted my extractor's tension, and relieved the bottom edge of the extractor to allow rounds to slide up under it more easily.  I also fit an oversized slide stop to keep my extractor from "clocking".  

You can research each of these topics, and find a wealth of information on them.  Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's!  LOL!  

The good part is, once you have it all worked out, you will likely have many thousand rounds of trouble-free, accurate shooting to come!  

Thanks for the response, Its just crazy to think that my barrel is that much different than my buddies... Guess I could crank the OAL down..

Will have to learn how to adjust extractor tension. lol

Thanks

Edited by Weever82

8 minutes ago, Weever82 said:

Thanks for the response, Its just crazy to think that my barrel is that much different than my buddies... Guess I could crank the OAL down..

Thanks

Extractor issues are the most common reasons why 1911's have feeding and extraction issues.  Magazines are the second most common.  

Make sure to check that you are sizing as far down as you can towards the case head...  

Edited by Ken6PPC

9 minutes ago, Weever82 said:

Thanks

No two guns/barrels are a xactly the same. I would say if your gun runs factory or other ammo then you have an ammo issue

22 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Based on that, I'd say your extractor is either too loose or too tight.  Take the slide off, insert a loaded round under the extractor, and shake lightly.  If it falls out easily, the extractor is too loose.  If it doesn't fall out at all, it is too tight.  

The other possibility is that you aren't sizing all the way to the base.  Most rounds will chamber OK, but when you get to one that has been fired in a loose chamber, it will stick.  

I just did what you said and the bullet will not fall out. I can beat the slide super hard and it doesn't fall out...

13 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Thanks for the reading material

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

No two guns/barrels are a xactly the same. I would say if your gun runs factory or other ammo then you have an ammo issue

That's true. I did however shoot Speer Lawman 124. Out of the 3mags or so. It was having fail to eject issues and the magazine would not last round open. I am using the 2 factory magazines that came from Springfield.

1 hour ago, Weever82 said:

I just did what you said and the bullet will not fall out. I can beat the slide super hard and it doesn't fall out...

Thanks for the reading material

That's true. I did however shoot Speer Lawman 124. Out of the 3mags or so. It was having fail to eject issues and the magazine would not last round open. I am using the 2 factory magazines that came from Springfield.

Oh then that kind of rules out ammo. So if it’s brand spanking new maybe it just needs oiled generously, shot, cleaned, repeat and see if it gets better?

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Oh then that kind of rules out ammo. So if it’s brand spanking new maybe it just needs oiled generously, shot, cleaned, repeat and see if it gets better?

I was wondering that too.. However Frank Glenn Custom is local to me. I reached out to him, he said bring some of my reloads and $25. He will chamber/ream out the barrel for me. That will rule that part out. So if issues afterwards then its the extractor or mags? I am trying to be able to run my same reloads in all my USPSA guns. If that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Weever82 said:

I was wondering that too.. However Frank Glenn Custom is local to me. I reached out to him, he said bring some of my reloads and $25. He will chamber/ream out the barrel for me. That will rule that part out. So if issues afterwards then its the extractor or mags? I am trying to be able to run my same reloads in all my USPSA guns. If that makes sense.

Oh yeah. If you have a  gunsmith local then by all means let him iron it out in 30 minutes instead of guessing.

9 minutes ago, Weever82 said:

Verify the ammo that doesn’t feed will plunk and spin. Drop it in the stripped barrel, see if it spins freely and then drops cleanly out when flipped over.

If so, fix the extractor tension issue and stop overthinking this.

3 hours ago, Steve in Allentown PA said:

Be advised, the information in that link is specifically for .45 extractors although the concepts are the same for any internal 1911 extractor except the AFTEC.

For sure!  I assumed anyone reading it would understand that the rim thicknesses etc. listed were for 45 ACP.  Of course, we all know what "assume" means...  LOL!  

I hope you don't mind me linking to that thread.  It is the best source I know of for info on 1911 extractors.  

You are in the world capital of USPSA shooting.  I have lost count of the number of M/GMs that call AZ home.

There are outstanding gunsmiths near you.
E. Garcia,

E Cameron

M McLearn

CZ custom

Kodiak Precision

Accuracy Speaks

These are just a few.

You can call SA and ask them.  They have like four guys who are  members of the Pistolsmith Guild.  

Message me if you want more info

12 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

For sure!  I assumed anyone reading it would understand that the rim thicknesses etc. listed were for 45 ACP.  Of course, we all know what "assume" means...  LOL!  

I hope you don't mind me linking to that thread.  It is the best source I know of for info on 1911 extractors.  

no, I appreciated it. Read it and then went on an extractor rabbit hole for a few hours. wow... lol

Edited by Weever82

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 9:21 PM, pjb45 said:

You are in the world capital of USPSA shooting.  I have lost count of the number of M/GMs that call AZ home.

There are outstanding gunsmiths near you.
E. Garcia,

E Cameron

M McLearn

CZ custom

Kodiak Precision

Accuracy Speaks

These are just a few.

You can call SA and ask them.  They have like four guys who are  members of the Pistolsmith Guild.  

Message me if you want more info

Matt McLearn is not in AZ any more.  He moved to Ohio.