Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best AK Manufacturer

bob

Simple question; complicated answer:

1)Taditional AK? Bulgarian Arsenal. Possibly the new Arsenal USA, though I have not seen one.

a close second would be the russian AK - possbily called the AK-101 series. The Saigas fall in this category and go for about 200 with better accuracy than the AK. For a small caliber AK, go russian.

2)AK varient? Valmet. Pricey. Preban. The best. Good luck finding one.

3)Tie/close second: Galil. Preban in .223 or 308 w/ accuracy on par with a Valmet- possibly better, and many other excellent features.  For an AK-based IPSC limited rifle without cost concerns, the preban Galil for about $2000 used is THE way to go (if you must have an AK).  BTW, my Arsenal AK has many Galil parts including the bolt carrier. Since the caliber is 7.62x39 and the barrel is only 16", accuracy is average AK-accuray, and not really good enough for IPSC.

Why AK and not AR?

Ah- now I see.  OK - accuracy wise, I think the new 5.45mm cal is supperior to 7.62x39 - that is in military, steel case ammo (we're not talking handloads when its avail. @ $90 a case). Now none of those guns (the AK-74 clones) are as high quality as say a Bulgarian; you "could" buy K-vars overpriced bulgarian AK-74 kit and have a custom built gun for over $500, but that's not your goal. Buy the 5.45 SAR (is it a 2 or 3?) for about $300 and put a limited legal break on it - you will have an excellent budget ltd IPSC rifle. Note- it will look rough, but AKs shoot with near perfect reliability - something that cannot be said for ARs and I have several - incl. one I built from a raw casting up.

• 5 months later...

Definately go for the Arsenal SLR-95 or 93.I have a 95 and have done lots of custom work to it.Customizing an SLR is very easy with the right parts.It has a milled receiver that's heavier than the stamped versions but adds greatly to accuracy.A new SLR-95 will cost you from $600 up.After all my custom work,my 95 is appraised at $2500.(wish I could post a pic here).

I put in a high carbon US made trigger group,Ace tube buttstock,vented steel foregaurd,titanium piston,feather touch laser,illuminated 3x11 Bec scope with range finder and twilight capability,custom bipod,Bulgarian waffle mags and some other goodies.The Steyer chrome lined barrel with milled receiver will keep a 2 inch group at 100 yards and 7.62x39 ammo can be found for about $100 per 1,000 rounds.It was a great weapons investment.

Michael