Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automation Vs My favorite proven load

Wrist Shot

I’ve used WST and Fed primers for 9 minor loads for all of my CZ shadows for years. Tens of thousands of rounds. Current load is the best ever under a Blue 125. Very happy with consistent velocities, accuracy,  and feel and I have a large quantity of all components.  I’m just now told by the manufacturer of my new automated press that my powder is too “sticky” to use and my primers are too dangerous to use. Before I put the press up for sale or just use it to process brass I thought I’d get some opinions. 

I planned to use preprocessed brass that I wet tumble and roll size.

My 3 Shadows would need to be retuned with different springs with out the Fed primers. 

So are people using Federal primers and/or WST in automated presses?

I have a 1050 with AmmoBot, no problems loading WST with 45ACP.  Cant forsee any issues with 9mm.  Loaded 10s thousands 9mm with W231, with no problems.  

I have 3 tool heads, one for 9mm, one for 45, and one for processing brass (9 and 45).  I process all my brass before loading.  

Otero Man and GregJ,

I'm encouraged. I lost track of how many pounds of WST I've gone through. I use it in 9, 40, and 45 when I was loading 45. Never a problem. Always available. I'm open minded but I really don't want to learn a new press and work up new loads at the same time...

GregJ,

Are you using  federal primers on your 1050?

7 hours ago, Wrist Shot said:

I’ve used WST and Fed primers for 9 minor loads for all of my CZ shadows for years. Tens of thousands of rounds. Current load is the best ever under a Blue 125. Very happy with consistent velocities, accuracy,  and feel and I have a large quantity of all components.  I’m just now told by the manufacturer of my new automated press that my powder is too “sticky” to use and my primers are too dangerous to use. Before I put the press up for sale or just use it to process brass I thought I’d get some opinions. 

I planned to use preprocessed brass that I wet tumble and roll size.

My 3 Shadows would need to be retuned with different springs with out the Fed primers. 

So are people using Federal primers and/or WST in automated presses?

If it were me, I'd switch powder. Not a big deal in my mind. 

I don't use federal primers on my mk7. I also won't set up my guns where they only pop fed primers. It takes just a little bit of practice to overcome the use of a slightly heavier trigger. Especially, when the heavier spring that will set off anything, only makes for a 5.5# - 6# DA trigger.  So, again not a big deal for me. 

Not a big deal in my mind either, especially if I didn't have 48 lbs. of the powder, or if I didn't like the load so much.

Not for nothing, I like Federal primers. Maybe a hundred K loaded and never a problem.They are the worst packaged of any primer...

I also use, and like, WSP on my Limited loads. But I have had bad batches of Winchester  primers in the past. Had some that were oval. I still buy them because they are reasonable and always available.