Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 barrel bushing, yes or no?

Weever82

Setting up my new Range Officer for single stack and was curious if replacing the barrel bushing actually helped with accuracy and "sloppiness"

She shoots true but I will step up my game for the $20 if it's worth it. haha. Just hoping to feel some opinions on it.

If so, what brands do you recommend, still a 1911 newb.

Thanks!

Edited by Weever82

Setting up my new Range Officer for single stack and was curious if replacing the barrel bushing actually helped with accuracy and "sloppiness"

She shoots true but I will step up my game for the $20 if it's worth it. haha. Just hoping to feel some opinions on it.

Thanks!

I have one in 45 and it's really accurate. See what kinda group you get at 25 yards. The barrel lockup on mine has no play. Coming up with a good bullet and powder selection/charge weight would be the next step. good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

I have one in 45 and it's really accurate. See what kinda group you get at 25 yards. The barrel lockup on mine has no play. Coming up with a good bullet and powder selection/charge weight would be the next step. good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. What brand did you use? There is diff some play in the lockup. Will check it at 25yds. Yeah it took me a good month of coming up with my pet load for my production gun. Heres to hoping my 1911 likes it at 25yds. haha.

http://www.egwguns.com/bushings/

I would find a good "smith in the area and have it inspected.  According to your avatar you are in AZ, you shouldn't have any trouble locating someone who could handle that.  Stop by a range and ask around; below are a couple:

http://www.glenncustom.com

http://www.thegunsmith.com/price_list.html

The barrel bushing is just one component of many that can affect accuracy. They are also not "Drop In" if you want it fit properly. If there is slop in the barrel lockup at the chamber side, tightening up the bushing will likely not make much of any difference in accuracy.

• 1 month later...

It's your call of course but I think for a 1911 newb, time and energy invested in shooting technique is more helpful than a new barrel bushing, for the sake of accuracy and everything else.

When you can consistently draw and put two in the A zone at 25 yards in around 2.0 seconds (your RO is up to the task, but are you?), maybe you'll want to start thinking about things like a new barrel bushing.

Edited by GunBugBit

A few years ago I spoke with EGW about which of their bushings I should buy for my SA 9mm 1911.  They indicated that generally the Springfield barrel-to-bushing fit was pretty good unlike some other brands.  I did buy a bushing but never installed it.  Now that same gun has seen 75K+ rounds and while still very reliable has probably gotten a bit loose.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:44 AM, Weever82 said:

curious if replacing the barrel bushing actually helped with accuracy and "sloppiness"

Yes, the barrel bushing absolutely affects accuracy.  I agree with bigboy69 and use EGW bushings on my builds.  Fitting it properly is an entirely new topic.  The inside diameter, outside diameter and amount of barrel contact are all factors I address when building a pistol.

Even the budget 1911s will shoot better than you will for the accuracy needed for action shooting. The RO is a great gun and I would personally spend the money on some other things that would benefit you a lot more.

Magwell
Oversized mag button
Good magazines
Trigger job

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1911's arnt modular, very seldom will parts just drop in. Your new bushing will need to be like most 1911 parts. Oversized then fit. May be a $20 part, but unless you have the ability to fit it, will be more than a $20 job.
Your improvement will depend on if the current one is really the problem. Had a Para 1640 that shot way left and large groups. Bushing was noticeably cut off center. New wilson combat bushing did wonders for it for many years till barrel basically shot out, at that point I put in a Barsto matched barrel bushing prefit set,,, well the bushing was fit, barrel hood had to be fit.
Sandbag and group your gun now as is. If you are originlal owner and it isnt that old and it is actually shooting bad, contact STI might be the way to go.