Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compressed Ready Start Position Legal? (RFPI/O)

RickT

Why not? As long as you meet the conditions in 5.2.3 in the SC rule book: "The competitor, while waiting for the start signal, must be pointing/aiming their gun at the aiming point with their finger off the trigger and the finger outside of the trigger guard." 

12 hours ago, RickT said:

Title says it all.  Low ready imprints poor muscle memory relative to self defense or center-fire pistol in general.

Without getting into the "this is not training for self-defense" argument, I'll note that many trainers and LEOs would disagree with you regarding the importance (and use) of a low-ready position.

With regard to SC, as has been said, if the is indexed on the proper spot (the flag placed at the appropriate distance and height in front of the shooting box) you can use a compressed position versus an extended position if you like.

If the compressed position isn't pointing at the proper spot, then the RO won't start you because you aren't in the proper start position.

Thanks all.  I was certain the rules don't prohibit, but it is a start position where some ROs might not be able to see the gun at the start.  This may turn out to be moot as my wife may find to a bit awkward to switch between her iron sight 1911 and her new Ruger 22/45 Lite.  The grip angle on the Ruger is identical, but the sight axis is displaced quite a bit with a C-More.  I'm getting an Allchin mount which will help.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:28 AM, RickT said:

Thanks all.  I was certain the rules don't prohibit, but it is a start position where some ROs might not be able to see the gun at the start.  This may turn out to be moot as my wife may find to a bit awkward to switch between her iron sight 1911 and her new Ruger 22/45 Lite.  The grip angle on the Ruger is identical, but the sight axis is displaced quite a bit with a C-More.  I'm getting an Allchin mount which will help.

You and anyone else may do whatever you like. If you are not doing as in this video, you are never going to be competitive nor happy with your inconsistent outcomes.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, RickT said:

Title says it all.  Low ready imprints poor muscle memory relative to self defense or center-fire pistol in general.

First, there is absolutely, positively, no such thing as “muscle memory.”  This is a phrase such as “slow is fast.”  Slow is slow and muscles have no ability to “remember” a single thing. These are things told to new shooters to encourage practice.  Second, there should be little to no separation from self defense to competition except tactics applied to a presented situation. Shooting a firearm is shooting a firearm. It’s your brain that decides how depending on the circumstances. Rarely ever in a defensive situation will anyone be taking the time to acquire a perfect grip or stationary stance. Believing in these myths and incorrect perceptions slows your personal progress in either field of study. 

If you want to play steel challenge or any other competition, practice techniques that will generate success in that setting and let the “brain” learn what it needs to know and see.  If the concern is that of a defensive technique, practice that for the brain to learn those applications. Both will compliment each other.  The brain knows the difference and, if properly trained, knows how and when to apply each technique. The rest is mental, having to do with ability to allow the brain to function under stress, whether it be fear of life or desire to win.

Edited by Hammer002