Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back-up rifle or extra parts (MPX)

I would say, if you can afford it, a backup gun would be a lot quicker and easier. If the primary stops running you could grab the backup instead of trying to figure out what’s wrong and hoping you have the right replacement part.

Edited by jualdeaux
9 hours ago, egd5 said:

Where do you keep the back-up gun? In your vehicle or do you carry it around with you?  How much time do you have to go back and get it if needed?

Have same question... would be a lot easier to have essential parts (extractor, trigger, bolt, springs) in the bag..

50 minutes ago, GregJ said:

In Lead We Trust has a great spare parts kit for the MPX.  Small enough for rifle bag.  Highly recommended. 

I carry their parts kit. Can't afford to get another MPX setup like what my main is setup now. PLUS, don't like sleeping with the dog.

A new MPX PCC plus optic and doo-dads (magwell, extended mag release) is about the same cost as 10 cases of ammo.  

...ok, I'm not sure where I was going with that, but there must be some way to use that when 'discussing' the situation with the wife.  I got lucky and was able to use proceeds from selling a few older rifles I recently inherited to buy a second MPX.  Trying to fix it at the safety table isn't any fun at all, and many part failures (extractors, disconnectors, recoil springs, firing pins, tappets, etc.) require a full breakdown.  

Much easier to just grab the backup rifle and fix the primary after the match.

I carry all the bolt extra parts- if it goes down during the stage- its over anyway- and I don't think you can run back and grab the backup.

BUT you will have the time between the stages to fix what ever it is that has broken- and shoot the next stage. I have removed all items

from the MPX bolts and replace all the parts in no time at all- practice-and patience- that's all  you really need- Just saying   😁

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, Rolex said:

I carry all the bolt extra parts- if it goes down during the stage- its over anyway- and I don't think you can run back and grab the backup.

BUT you will have the time between the stages to fix what ever it is that has broken- and shoot the next stage. I have removed all items

from the MPX bolts and replace all the parts in no time at all- practice-and patience- that's all  you really need- Just saying   😁

I've seen Max Leongitus carry a spare bolt on his belt...

Good for broken firing pins or extractors...  I'll bet he practices changing it.

Spare rifle for me. Nothing like hammering out roll pins at the safe table...

If it stop working, case it up, uncase the backup and keep going. I've rarely seen someone come back confident enough in their equipment to shoot worth a darn after 'fixing' it. 

1 hour ago, Acer2428 said:

Spare rifle for me. Nothing like hammering out roll pins at the safe table...

If it stop working, case it up, uncase the backup and keep going. I've rarely seen someone come back confident enough in their equipment to shoot worth a darn after 'fixing' it. 

Then you have never shot with our group of riflemen-

4 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I've seen Max Leongitus carry a spare bolt on his belt...

Good for broken firing pins or extractors...  I'll bet he practices changing it.

You know he does and there is probably a youtube/facebook/IM video of him doing it at insane speed as he runs forward to the next target array.  

I ran an MPX for about a year and a half, for back parts extra firing pins and springs X 3 an extractor and about a half a dozen extractor springs and at least 1 complete back up guns 2 would be better, after they get several thousand rounds in them the are broke more than they are running. got rid of mine and bought two complete ar 9s taccom builds on KE arms lowers and have never had to go to a backup and only replaced 1 firing pin. 

Edited by fishhunter3