Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 primer marking question

xcutter45

Have an XDM 5.25" 9...shoots great, very accurate & PRP DI trigger, all good there...have noticed from the beginning there is a dinger next to the striker dimple in every fired primer...gives the appearance of a of a keyhole shape, as if say  the striker was struck sideways with a hammer while at the furthest forward point in it`s travel into the primer...wondering if any of you XDm shooters might experience a similar situation or have seen such...my only thought is that the barrel might be in motion downward (unlocking) while the striker is still extended into the dimple it caused in the primer and that is forming this sideways impression...in 35+ years of 1911`s have seen off center primer strikes, etc. but nothing quite like this...everything seems fine otherwise, just wondering if anyone knows the scoop...Thanks,  Jerry

What weight recoil spring are you using? Could the striker return spring be worn out? Has it always done this or did it just start happening? Does it do it with all ammo?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

N3,  Stock recoil spring, doubt striker return spring could be bad (though, not impossible to be bad O.E.M. I suppose) as pistol only has ~300-400 shots...done it since the first shot...all factory ammo till now, just worked up a load & same result re primer impression...thanks for the response

With this being an almost brand new gun and the issue being present since you bought it, I'd probably contact Springfield Armory and see what they have to say about it.

When I've seen primer drag in other pistols, it has either been a weakened/broken firing pin/striker return spring or a recoil spring way too light for the load allowing the slide to fly back faster than the return spring can keep up with.  Neither of these seem to be the issue with yours unless, as you said, bad parts from the factory.

I've never actually had a problem result from a gun that is doing this, but I've only had this issue a couple of times.  I suppose it's possible to damage the firing pin (or, in this case, striker) or something. 🤷‍♂️

Good luck sorting it out! 

Thanks a lot for the response...I was thinking the only change spring wise was the striker spring installed with the PRP drop-in trigger kit but it is likely lighter if anything than the OEM spring and it was doing it prior to installing that kit anyway...I will contact SA...just knew someone here likely had seen it before unless it was extremely unusual...my main concern is that if it were to put that dinger in the primer while there was still enough pressure, it might cause it to pierce and let some gas out / ruin the striker nose, etc....may put it back to total OEM once and check just for the heck of it and also try with the Winchester primers...thanks again for your thoughts...may turn out to be a non issue

• 4 weeks later...

Did you figure anything out? I have a 525 and after 10k rounds+ im seeing it too. Or at least i never noticed it before shooting 115 blazers. I wanted to chime in because i have the prp extreme trigger. Which includes the lighter striker spring and lighter striker rebound spring since day 1. It was built and shipped from prp. Plus the 16# recoil spring. I shoot 147s with winchester primers, i was never really concerned about it honestly but now that im reloading everything is worth a look. I have pics ill try to post to confirm if we are seeing the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Be advised if you return your firearm to Springfield for warranty work, they will remove your parts and return to factory specs. 

I woukd also think possibly a light a light spring. I have several Xdm’s with the Prp kits in them and haven’t noticed, but I haven’t looked super close, I’m usually shooting until the mag is empty. 

As as a side note, I know AR’s are notorious for doing this because of their floating firing pin

• 7 months later...