Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 124gr w231

chetc

i read on youtube where someone was shooting a semi 9mm pistol, he loaded 5.0 grs of w231 with a 124gr coated round nose, in order to make this load chamber in my wife's walthers PPQ i had to load them at 1.050 and i see this may be on the hot side especially at this length. i only loaded 50, should i pull them and drop the chg to 4.0grs

chet

Seems like a load from "someone" on youtube should be taken with a grain of salt. I wonder about the wisdom of using that particular load data source when there are tons of reputable sources on the internet and in book form reloading manuals.

Best of luck on your "experiment". Hope your wife's gun enjoys the test...

7 minutes ago, chetc said:

hi Phil

got scared on that load after thinking, 5grs was up at max, i pulled them before and loaded 25 at 3.8 and 25 at 4.2, i will sleep better tonight.

thanks

chet

Good call Chet.

I run 124 gr coated with Win 231 and 5.0 seems WAY hot...to me.

For my Glock 14 I'm right at 4.0 gr, and I'm at 4.4 for my 9mm carbine, so I'd never go anywhere near 5.0.

Doesn't mean someone can't safely go there, but it's too hot for my comfort...

4.3 of HP-38 (same as W231) is the sweet spot for me, with 124-125 gr. coated bullets,  both RN and TC.

An OAL of 1.130" or as close to that length as possible for RN, and R-P cases works.

😀

Edited by Kenstone

I load 4.1-4.2 Gr win231 @ 1.102-1.104 OAL for my Shadow 2. This is for 124 Gr TCFP @ 128-132 pf.

You need to have a chrono to test your loads. Check also Lyman’s manual instead of relying on someone’s load on YouTube, 

Edited by George16

Just finished this exact type of test.  Based on a number of loading manuals, both new and old, 5.0 of 231 seemed midrange with a 115 FMJ bullet.  But I got primer flow in my Kimber 1911 using Winchester small pistol primers.  Pulling the bullets on your 5.0 load seems like a good idea.

18 hours ago, chetc said:

hi Phil

got scared on that load after thinking, 5grs was up at max, i pulled them before and loaded 25 at 3.8 and 25 at 4.2, i will sleep better tonight.

thanks

chet

I shoot the same range with 125, 135 and now 105 and 96gr. All coated mostly in a revo but they will all run an auto. (although the 96gr loads aren't reliable.) The 105gr @ 3.4 is really soft for SC etc.

We will all sleep better tonight, bro! LOL

Just want to throw in that I've loaded 4.9-5.0gr under a 115 Xtreme plated. This was a moderate load, in the same ballpark as most factory ammo.

With a 124gr bullet you'd be asking for trouble at 5.0gr. Use reliable sources. Youtube is not a source. In fact internet forums aren't a great source. But at least if you can find many data points from various sources all in the same ballpark you can make assumptions. Reloading manuals and powder manufacturer websites are pretty good sources. If you can't confirm a load in a manual or manufacturer's website, probably a good idea to stay clear.

only way to know  for sure is to  chrono.  its a good investment if you reload .  my bet is 5.0 231 124 coated  out of a 4" gun will make about 1125  fps. also to alleviate the short oal on the PPQ chose a bullet with a different shape.   

Edited by Sandbagger123

• 3 years later...

my wife got a new Springfield Hellcat Pro 9mm. I plan on reloading for it. I have 1000 mixed once fired brass, Extreme 124gn Plated HP's, OLD W231 powder and WSP primers.

What is a good starting point? 4.0gn with plated? Also have 124gn Hornady XTP JHP, does anyone have old data for using old W231 powder and an XTP 124gn bullet?         afraid of using new data as powder probably has changed. I am guessing powder is pre 1996, cans are unopened and powder seems fine. 

Name: 9mm: 124gr Zero RN: Win 231 4.2gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.14

Notes: Para 1911 5"
Shots: 5
Average: 1080 ft/s
SD: 20 ft/s
Min: 1043 ft/s
Max: 1097 ft/s
Spread: 54 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 133
Power Factor Low: 129
Power Factor High: 136

Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 63 F

Weight: 124.0 gr.
Powder/Wt: Win 231 / 4.2
Bullet/Wt: Zero / 124
Primer: CCI SPP
OAL: 1.14
Gun: Para 5"

4.4gr at 1.125" is a max load and makes 31,200 psi. Your load is a +p+ nuclear load of unknown pressure or velocity, probably dangerous. 

All powder manufacturs list data on their website... Always good to check. 231 isn't a good overpressure powder. 

On 4/21/2019 at 3:21 PM, chetc said:

i read on youtube

That last place you should ever go for anything to do with reloading is there.

In fact, when it comes to ammo I trust nothing that I didn't come up with from scratch using legit reloading manuals as a starting point.