Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

confirming 8 procedurals ?

p7fl

Dumbed out and forgot to step into shooting area on beep.

2 Paper to the right and 2 to the left.

The first step was just to move over the line...fired 8 shots, no advantage, but according to 10.2.1 etc--it is still 8 shots and I dinged myself for 8 procedurals.

Correct?

Can't wait to hear the answer to this one.

Obviously, in the spirit of shooting a match for fun, since there is "no advantage",

there Should Be only a single procedural    ….    But  …   well, let's wait and see

The Correct Answer      :eatdrink:

If you're stepping forward into the shooting area closer to the targets then it would be only one procedural. There's no competitive advantage by the shooter if he chooses to shoot from a position that is further away from the array.

I'd think being able to shoot targets sooner is a competitive advantage.

10.2.1.2 A shooter who fires shots while completely outside (both feet out
and touching the ground) a shooting area is deemed to have
gained a significant advantage

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I also would say that IF the shooter has advantage when he shoots from behind the shooting area even if his step is forward will be one shot per.

EG: If the target arrays are better seen from behind the shooting area...

It all depends on IF the shooter has an advantage by shooting from the out of Shooting Area position.

Edited by WaJim

7 minutes ago, robchavous said:

I'd think being able to shoot targets sooner is a competitive advantage.

10.2.1.2 A shooter who fires shots while completely outside (both feet out
and touching the ground) a shooting area is deemed to have
gained a significant advantage

Most shooters step forward and draw simultaneously....

Rule reads significant advantage.

Most shooters step forward and draw simultaneously....

Rule reads significant advantage.
The rule reads if you shoot with both feet out that you have gained a significant advantage. This was a change in the new rules where they have actually defined a significant advantage

Sometimes (always) it helps to read the whole rule.  Please note that 10.2.1.2 mentions "re-establish", meaning the shooter had been IN, then was fully OUT and needs to re-establish IN before firing shots.  In that scenario, yes, one per shot..

10.2.1.3 appears to be more relevant here.  Unless shooting from outside provided a significant advantage (doubtful in most cases I would think) only one procedural would apply.

33 minutes ago, George Jones said:

Sometimes (always) it helps to read the whole rule.  Please note that 10.2.1.2 mentions "re-establish", meaning the shooter had been IN, then was fully OUT and needs to re-establish IN before firing shots.  In that scenario, yes, one per shot..

Here is the full text of 10.2.1.2:

10.2.1.2   A shooter who fires shots while completely outside (both feet out and touching the ground) a shooting area is deemed to have gained a significant advantage and will be given one penalty for each shot fired until presence is re-established in a shooting area. Having at least one foot in a shooting area and nothing touching outside the shooting area is required to re-establish presence in a shooting area.

George: Do you recall why 10.2.1.2 was written to exclude a scenario where the start position is outside the shooting area (and a shooter starts firing before either foot is in the shooting area)? I don't see how that's any different than a shooter moving from one shooting area to another.

Yeah, I've always thought re-establish is the relevant portion of the text of the rule, if the presence in the shooting area has not been first established then it should be as if they were faulting (one procedural or one per if considered significant, not automatically significant).

I don't know "why" it was changed (above my paygrade).  However, as written it still applies to a situation where the shooter was IN and has to re-establish IN before firing.

If you start OUT (not yet IN) 10.2.1.2 does not apply.  10.2.1.3 does.  

The above is my opinion.  You know who to go to if you disagree.  😉

Edited by George Jones
Fat finger

• 3 weeks later...

I always find these situations interesting.  My struggle is defining what is an advantage or significant advantage.  Ask 10 RO's you will get 10 different answers.  Subjectivity and variation of interpretation by RO causes most issues in these situations and is not the same for all shooters.

19 minutes ago, blacklab2011 said:

I always find these situations interesting.  My struggle is defining what is an advantage or significant advantage.  Ask 10 RO's you will get 10 different answers.  Subjectivity and variation of interpretation by RO causes most issues in these situations and is not the same for all shooters.

Well if the shooter can see more targets or more of a target then that is a significant advantage. So the stage design will determine. It is also in the glossary

Any position assumed while faulting that provides:

• A greater view of a target or target array, i.e., seeing all of the array versus only one or two targets, or more of a target behind an obscuring no-shoot or wall
• A closer (more than 3 feet) shot at a target, especially if the target is partially obscured with a no-shoot or hard cover
• Less physical positioning, i.e., lean, around or over a wall or barrier
• A more stable position, such as stepping off of a moving platform or narrow beam onto the ground, provided that the object in question has been marked as a shooting area
• Having both feet outside of a shooting area and firing shots (10.2.1.2)
• Stability by bracing on a wall or barrier outside of the fault lines

Note: These are some examples and are not intended to illustrate all possible cases of significant advantage

Edited by broadside72