Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FART vs. other rotary tumblers

Is the FART still the way to go?  I see Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, etc are now making rotary tumblers.

Just wondering if the others are as good if I can pick one up on sale if the FART doesn't go on sale before then.

Depends on what you're looking for. For capacity, the gear driven ones like the FART work very well. But, if noise is a problem you might want a belt driven one which will normally give you about half the capacity of the FART.

My FART can be loaded up to 30 lbs. That's pins, cases and water. I usually load up to 25 lbs and get close to 1000 9 mm cases, but its loud and I have a detached reloading shed. Most of the belt driven ones I've seen used keep you at about 15 lbs, but you could run them in your house without driving everyone crazy. 

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, Blacktail 8541 said:

The RCBS has the same capacity as the FART, but it has a molded in handle that is very convenient as well as only one lid to deal with.

only one lid to deal with? I only deal with one lid on the FART, maybe I'm missing something in your answer? 

My fart was noisy 1st off so I removed what was needed to get to the gears and found a minimal amount of grease.

I added lots of grease to the gears while it was running, then put it back together, and it was much quieter.

I still found the noise annoying when in the same room, I run it setting on the floor, so I just dropped a big cardboard box over it...fixed.

That could cause it to over heat in warm weather though...

🙄

Edited by Kenstone