Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell for stock M&P mags.

Drillbit

Stock 17 rnd. 2.0.  I've seen it mentioned on this forum but can't dig it up again.

I have look far and near for a magwell that would work with stock baseplates. (Even baseplates that I filed down myself to make them shorter) I have not seen anything of the sort. I went with all Springer precision stuff and it works flawlessly. I was an M&P shooter for a couple year prior to going to Tanfoglio.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, leogearguide said:

Lemme know how it goes lol i am interested.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Their showing "out of stock" right now..... Also $60.00. That's more then I would have thought.

I have one of the Carver mag wells. It is OK, but is hampered by the "step" cut into it where the stock magazine baseplate is supposed to sit. Mine does not actually accept stock magazines when mounted to my particular gun (YMMV), but for my needs (use with short Taylor Freelance extensions) it is workable. Frankly, the main benefit is to secure your hand on the gun rather than to facilitate noticeably smoother reloads. If you want to use stock magazines, I'd recommend skipping a mag well entirely.

18 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I have one of the Carver mag wells. It is OK, but is hampered by the "step" cut into it where the stock magazine baseplate is supposed to sit. Mine does not actually accept stock magazines when mounted to my particular gun (YMMV), but for my needs (use with short Taylor Freelance extensions) it is workable. Frankly, the main benefit is to secure your hand on the gun rather than to facilitate noticeably smoother reloads. If you want to use stock magazines, I'd recommend skipping a mag well entirely.

I'm not sure I understand the "step cut."  What gun do you have it on? 

2 minutes ago, Drillbit said:

I'm not sure I understand the "step cut."  What gun do you have it on? 

I mean the flat area cut out at the front of the magazine funnel as shown in the photo below. This is on an M&P9 1.0, but the 2.0 version has to be the same if it is to accommodate a stock magazine baseplate. The back of the funnel does still serve to guide the magazine into the mag well (see the light wear marks - I don't use this gun much), but the flat "step" at the front is less forgiving than with a traditional tapered design. If you want to use stock magazines, it is what it is.

6eKaqLX.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

On 4/29/2019 at 6:16 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

So why don't you feel it facilitates noticeably smoother reloads? Of the two I posted in my photo one has the magwell stepcut for factory baseplates and the other is the Standard Magwell with no cut. When practicing magchanges they both work equally well, as long as I use dummy rounds in the step cut magwell. An empty mag can sometimes get lightly hung up on the step, but in practical use they are as good as any magwell in their size catagory.

3 hours ago, mpeltier said:

So why don't you feel it facilitates noticeably smoother reloads? Of the two I posted in my photo one has the magwell stepcut for factory baseplates and the other is the Standard Magwell with no cut. When practicing magchanges they both work equally well, as long as I use dummy rounds in the step cut magwell. An empty mag can sometimes get lightly hung up on the step, but in practical use they are as good as any magwell in their size catagory.

To be honest I rarely shoot this particular pistol - it has slide mounted optics whereas I normally shoot irons - so I actually dusted it off and shot it in a steel match last night. I  made a conscious effort to index the reload magazine towards the back of the mag funnel and it worked fine. However, this was with 140mm magazines... with stock magazines (the original question) it is much slower than without any funnel because the magazine has to be pushed into a recessed hole (an added bumper/pad really is a requirement with stock magazines, at which point you might as well add an extension instead and enjoy the extra rounds).

Edited by StealthyBlagga