Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Comparable to CZ CzechMate Parrot

CzEnthusist

Hi,

I am interested in eventually getting a CZ Parrot, but a guy at a gun show told me they aren't worth the money if I am just a serous hobbyist . He stated they are meant for competition that  I never plan on doing and it would be a waste of money. He told me I should just get a CZ SP-01 and  convert to the Parrot Style because it would be much cheaper.  By the time I add the accessories to make it similar to the Parrot, what am I saving $ 200-300.00. The lowest I could find out the door would be 3200-3300.

They basically shoot the same accuracy wise, Any suggestions, SP_01,CZ TSO or Shadow 2 then upgrade.  I was looking at the Shadow 2 and making it like the Parrot, but all Blue would be cool looking.

Hi,

I am interested in eventually getting a CZ Parrot, but a guy at a gun show told me they aren't worth the money if I am just a serous hobbyist . He stated they are meant for competition that  I never plan on doing and it would be a waste of money. He told me I should just get a CZ SP-01 and  convert to the Parrot Style because it would be much cheaper.  By the time I add the accessories to make it similar to the Parrot, what am I saving $ 200-300.00. The lowest I could find out the door would be 3200-3300.

They basically shoot the same accuracy wise, Any suggestions, SP_01,CZ TSO or Shadow 2 then upgrade.  I was looking at the Shadow 2 and making it like the Parrot, but all Blue would be cool looking.
You should try uspsa!! otherwise, yea it's made for competition

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

When you say “ make it like a parrot “. What do you mean?

Just the colored grips and magwell?  

Or are you talking about thumb rest, optics mounts, single action, and barrel comp... not too mention springs, polishing, hammer/trigger parts.

if it’s the first and you just want something colorful... then find a nice SP01 and get some colored aluminum grips and maybe a colored magwell.

if it’s the second and you want a highly tuned competition gun, then find a parrot or Czechmate.

12 minutes ago, CzEnthusist said:

Yea knowing me, I might want to go and do the hammer and springs, definitely the C-More optic, etc. Maybe just save up for a parrot or hopefully come across a used one.

I like this one

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-hush-9mm.html

You need to narrow down what you plan on using it for.

The parrot is a over priced czechmate.

The Parrot and the Czechmate are designed to use 9mm major ammo for competition. Basically 9mm +P+

Even in the Competitive shooting world different CZ's are best for certain disciplines and even divisions.

Tell us what the intended use is going to be and the features you want.

6 minutes ago, CzEnthusist said:

I am just going to be target practicing, no competition, no self defense, nothing major, I am just a serous hobbyist. I like to try different rounds and shoot at range from time to time.

The only off the self offering (aside from the parrot) from CZ that includes a comp and optics is the Czechmate.  Not a flashy, but a few bucks cheaper

2 hours ago, CzEnthusist said:

a guy at a gun show told me they aren't worth the money if I am just a serous hobbyist . He stated they are meant for competition that  I never plan on doing and it would be a waste of money.

This is just stupid.  Value is in the eye of the buyer, buy whatever you want.

He told me I should just get a CZ SP-01 and  convert to the Parrot Style because it would be much cheaper.  By the time I add the accessories to make it similar to the Parrot, what am I saving $ 200-300.00. The lowest I could find out the door would be 3200-3300.

There are no parts to "convert" an SP01 to a Parrot, they have different frame sizes, different barrel lengths, and different trigger mechanisms.  You can certainly buy some gaudi parts in clashing colors for an SP01, but it will never be a Parrot.  The Czechmate on the other hand is exactly the same pistol without the colors and for less money.

If you want a sweet-shooting rage toy I suggest a TSO, they have the same frame size, barrel length, and trigger mechanism as the Parrot; you can even add an optic if you wish, but if you don't plan to hand load ammo for it, I don't suggest a compensator.

If you’re not handloading definitely follow atlas’s advice and buy a gun without a compensator. They don’t work worth a damn using factory ammo.

The Orange is a sweet, sweet gun. If you don’t decock the gun manually on a live round after loading, and instead activate the manual safety and treat it like a 1911? You’ll never even encounter the double action on any DA/SA CZ in the first place. ;) 

Shooting it double action take an extra step.

Just keep it loaded on safe (or empty) instead... or buy a TSO. They’re SA only.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Your comments for what you want to do and what you want to buy are kind of different directions.. but it seems like you want to buy what is considered the best of what is available.  No fault in that...  but usually the best in a specific category isn’t all that great outside of its intended use, or comes with other issues.

if you want to reload or buy manufactured Major ammo from a few dealers then buy the parrot.  But realize 9mm major is going to cost more than a bulk pack of WWB.  Also, if you’re shooting indoors...a major open gun is LOUD.

I haven’t shot a TSO yet, but everyone I know who has one loves it.

My advice to you is, buy whatever you find the best deal on first.  I’m sure you’ll eventually end up owning more than just one CZ.

I have both regular cm and TSO (look at my avatar). Each gun was built for a specific purpose. The czechmate/parrot is geared for open major (though you can install the second barrel on the regular cm to run limited) while the TSO is geared towards limited minor(9mm) or major (.40). Both guns trigger are really nice. There’s nothing to upgrade on either one except to tune the recoil springs for your loads or ammo.

Between the two, I shoot the TSO more than the cm. Even my petite wife shoots/likes the TSO more than any of my other guns (excluding the 8” MPX which she likes shooting too).

If you want a nicer than average, not the normal piece then yes a 9mm TSO would be a great choice. Get a little color, very accurate, slight bling factor. I have one in 40 and the O is a nice upgrade.

Hey George,

I am leaning more towards the TSO. I saw your avatar, where do you get that optic mount from? I am planning on getting the C-More dot and really like the mount the parrot has but I cannot find it anywhere. I really don't want the one from CZ custom.

3 hours ago, CzEnthusist said:

Hey George,

I am leaning more towards the TSO. I saw your avatar, where do you get that optic mount from? I am planning on getting the C-More dot and really like the mount the parrot has but I cannot find it anywhere. I really don't want the one from CZ custom.

The optic moun with a cmore slideride on the TSO (in the avatar) is what came with the regular czechmate. When I took that picture, I just swap the mounts to test fit if both mounts (comer mount/slide ride and CZ Custom multi optic mount) work on both guns which in fact fit.

Hi,

I am interested in eventually getting a CZ Parrot, but a guy at a gun show told me they aren't worth the money if I am just a serous hobbyist . He stated they are meant for competition that I never plan on doing and it would be a waste of money.

I agree with Atlas. Buy what you want. It's America..

You can add Parrot bling parts to a TSO, including the same optic mount and CMore red dot scope. CZ-USA has the optic mount in several colors, including Blue, and Armorycraft has some of the other parts.

That’s what I did. Especially worth it if u don’t plan to shoot open. You can add an optic mount for range fun too if u want

On 4/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, robert.a.brewer. said:

I agree with Atlas. Buy what you want. It's America..

You can add Parrot bling parts to a TSO, including the same optic mount and CMore red dot scope. CZ-USA has the optic mount in several colors, including Blue, and Armorycraft has some of the other parts.

D7138570-301B-4123-89A3-55413BD42CD3.jpeg

17 hours ago, hurley326 said:

That’s what I did. Especially worth it if u don’t plan to shoot open. You can add an optic mount for range fun too if u want

D7138570-301B-4123-89A3-55413BD42CD3.jpeg

What *thumb rest [generic]*/thumb rest is that? It looks much more comfortable than the OEM one. 

Edited by regor

What *thumb rest [generic]*/thumb rest is that? It looks much more comfortable than the OEM one. 

It’s the CZ Angle 2 thumbrest. It doesn’t come on any pistols but is available as separate purchase. I love it. There is also an angle 3 which is ok, I have one if anyone is interested in trying a different angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, hurley326 said:

It’s the CZ Angle 2 thumbrest. It doesn’t come on any pistols but is available as separate purchase. I love it. There is also an angle 3 which is ok, I have one if anyone is interested in trying a different angle

Thanks. Angle 3 does look weird and like it forces you into a lower grip since it sits below the screws. I'll probably pick up one of the angle 2s to try out. 

Thanks. Angle 3 does look weird and like it forces you into a lower grip since it sits below the screws. I'll probably pick up one of the angle 2s to try out. 

Yea it’s just OK, not great. All depends on your grip I guess. Let’s your hand get further up almost like putting partial palm pressure on the part rather than thumb pressure like with the angle 2 or angle 1. Not for me though. I really love Angle 2 a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a serious hobbyist you probably want something that will let you tinker and put upgrades on if you're not going to ever compete (you should by the way, it's fun). The CZechmate is basically "done" so you'd probably be bored of it if you don't compete. And if you're not reloading it's gonna be hell sourcing 9mm major that will work well with the comp. 

You're better off getting something like a Shadow 1/2, TSO, or an entry level 2011 model and adding stuff on as you please. Will be a lot more fun for someone who just likes to play around with their guns.