Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Broncos79

Tips to improve 3 gun Rifle distance shooting

As a friend pointed out once, you and your rifle are a system.  You obviously must breathe, pull the trigger etc... but the system is the scope, ammo, dope, shooter etc.  To develop the system it takes a little work to figure out the system.  Assuming you and the rifle are dialed in, the scope is integral to the system too.  What glass are you using?

On 4/20/2019 at 8:10 PM, Broncos79 said:

I located an Appleseed course near my town in Arizona - thank you for the recommendation 

Good idea.  You may be amazed at what you learn and how much it helps.  I've seen guys who do regular CMP/high power shoots come to an Appleseed and tell me little things they learned, or relearned, that helped them improve their rifle shooting.

Posted (edited)

Do you have a solid scope mount? If not, it could mean a wandering zero and endless frustration.

Assuming your optic is solid and properly zeroed, and your rifle is capable of 4MOA or better (military-grade accuracy), you probably aren't getting stable enough. There are lots of tricks to getting more stable, but they depend on the prop you are shooting off. You need to shoot with someone experienced who will mentor you - a lot of folks get into trouble by using the "monkey see, monkey do" method of position building.

I run the monthly multigun match up at Rio Salado (second Saturday morning each month, in Mesa, AZ). If you are able to come up and participate in our match, send me an IM and I will watch you shoot and offer some tips/tricks. I guarantee it will be worth the drive, and will save you a lot of $$$ on gear you don't need.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

A good FF scope with a good reticle and getting actual dope for your setup/ammo.  Take good notes, write it on a little card and tape it to your scope, that should get you close depending on external factors.  I know for my 18 inch rifle zeroed POA/POI at 200 yds shooting 62 gr fed, I need to hold 1 mil for 300, 1.3 for 325, 1.5 for 350, 2 for 375, 2.3 for 400, 2.4 for 425, 2.5 for 450, etc.....and I got dope out to 775.  My buddy and I set up a small steel target, grabbed the rangefinder and walked back in 25 yard increments.

My other suggestion, is to go out with a buddy that shoots PRS matches and run his setup and help him offset the cost of the ammo.  Your long range game will improve dramatically, unfortunately you might find yourself sucked into the PRS life....

Believe the bullet,

JG

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2019 at 10:31 AM, Broncos79 said:

Hello All -

recently shot a couple of 3 gun matches and had a great time but struggled with the distance shots 200yds and 250 yds

any tips are appreciated 

Really don't know much more about what you're doing  or why you having trouble at targets that close. But I have found the best thing, is cardio. Just a thought. Zero at 25 you'll have much better outcome. I use a burris Mtac 1-4 with switchview lever.

Edited by usmc1974

On 4/20/2019 at 8:55 AM, Broncos79 said:

Great tips - I did recently zero at 50 yds after my last match

This is what I found. I also did the 50yrd zero and found I was having difficulty at the 200-250yrd range. I finally got out to refine my zero at 200 yrds and found it was 2.5MOA high. Once i got a true 200yrd zero, everything else fell into place. I had very little trouble with the long range stuff at last weeks SMM3G match and this was shooting 55gr FMJ American Eagle ammo. 

Great suggestion - thank you! I will give it a try at 200 yd zero 

Posted (edited)

Some mixed advice here. Your reticle probably has an intended zero distance based on the subtensions so I suggest you determine that first and zero at that distance. Looks like Leo had couple reticle offered in that scope so depends on which one. 99% of the time you 2 choices are 100 or 50/200, manipulating your zero to match loads is advanced stuff for later. Once you have a solid zero correct for your scope you need to shoot targets at as many different distances as you can with the same ammo you will use in a match using exact velocity from a chronograph and any decent ballistic app with 100% correct data inputs. This will verify your hits to the data and then you will know your load scope and app are good to go, test as many distances as you can out to as far as you will shoot in a match. For me if my dope is good at 300 & 500 I'm confident its tight anywhere else. If it's not right figure out why period until you can hit 3moa targets at several distances. Once this is done the match is easy. The target is 250 so I have to hold right here on my reticle and I know its right because I tested at the range. If I miss i know its me and then I can work on positions marksmanship etc. But if you aren't 100% sure where the bullet is going to hit you won't be able to progress well.

Edited by inertia

I use the Leupold Multigun w CMR-2 reticle.  Zero is at 50/200 yards for my hoser ammo (see below for all the holdovers using today's weather).

My gun shoots about 2MOA with hoser ammo and that's good enough for all the long range targets I shoot.  when I miss it's usually because of me, not the gun.

Ammo differences can make a huge difference in your holdovers ... I attached my hoser load (55g Hornady SP) and a long range load (77g) so you can see the difference.

I remember in a class I took from Frank Proctor he was saying as a principle always try to get another point of contact. If you have 2 points of contact, try to get 3, if you have 3 points, get 4. The more you are in contact with stable objects the better.

IMG_79ED71C82772-1.jpeg

IMG_155C0CF1E172-1.jpeg

34 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Strelok pro on your phone, priceless

$11.99 actually!

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

$11.99 actually!

lol worth every penny to. I use it for long range shooting, three guns everything. I got a MTAC-1-4 and use it for 3 gun. it is awesome. It's awesome. whatever you got it will tell you what to do with it. Somehow I missed that 1-6  that was for sale in be forms

Edited by usmc1974

Yeah I've got Strelok+ and its definitely a handy tool. Can't remember what Pro does that + doesn't though.

9 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Yeah I've got Strelok+ and its definitely a handy tool. Can't remember what Pro does that + doesn't though.

I'm not sure either, Bluetooth maybe Bluetooth Plus