Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics before Open. Looking for feedback

OperationHitFactor

Hello all,

So I've been away from USPSA for about 5 or 6 years. The whole mid 30s career shuffle took me away. At any rate, I'm about to jump back in and decided on Open. While I was away the guns have changed a bit, shorties, stroked, titanium comps, tungsten sleeves, full length dust covers, metal grips, endless red dot options, and oh my build prices have increased (not a criticism just and observation). 

I'm definitely going to have to do a bit of research before I stroke a check to one of these fine builders and drop 6 to 8 grand. Then there will be the whole 6 to 14 month wait. So until then...

Carry Optics! I'm going to grab a Glock 17 or Sig X5 just to get back on the range and catch a few matches. My question:

Which dot?? I looked at a few different options, Delta Point, RMR, Romeo, RTS. Honestly they all have a good enough window and dot to get the job done. So not really looking to debate all the individual characteristics. Which one seems to be taking the abuse the best??

Thanks

I prefer the RTS2.  I have 5 and like to have the same on all guns as backups.  My wife's CO has one also along with my 22/45. If one sh!t$ the bed, take it off another gun and move on.  What are you going to run on your open gun?

Whichever you can find cheaper. They all die prematurely. Dpp and rts2 are favorites. I like the Romeo 3 and Romeo 1. Ran both on an x5. Romeo 1 with a 6moa dot is the brightest one out there for CO. If open is what you want eventually,  Look for a used open gun on.  You’ll find a good deal and shoot as good as you will with a more expensive brand new crave gun. Quite a few open packages have come up on here in the last 6 months that would get the job done and not hold you back at all. I tinker with gear and chase the new craves too. Have a used gun I bought here then threw mix matches parts together to make it more modern. Hasn’t made a difference in where I finish but I like the newer dots and metal gripped feel. 

On the open gun I'm likely just going to go with the classic Cmore. I noticed the RTS2 is on a lot of new builds so might just grab that for carry optics then throw the same thing on the open build if I like it.

I'm going 38 SC so I wasn't sure is smaller profile of the RTS2 was more for 9 major ejection port clearance. 

6 minutes ago, Shmella said:

Whichever you can find cheaper. They all die prematurely. Dpp and rts2 are favorites. I like the Romeo 3 and Romeo 1. Ran both on an x5. Romeo 1 with a 6moa dot is the brightest one out there for CO. If open is what you want eventually,  Look for a used open gun on.  You’ll find a good deal and shoot as good as you will with a more expensive brand new crave gun. Quite a few open packages have come up on here in the last 6 months that would get the job done and not hold you back at all. I tinker with gear and chase the new craves too. Have a used gun I bought here then threw mix matches parts together to make it more modern. Hasn’t made a difference in where I finish but I like the newer dots and metal gripped feel. 

If the right package comes up I might scoop something up used. I figured carry optics will get me back in the loop. Someone will likely have a package for sale I can inspect before I buy here locally. I'm very particular so I'd rather just buy once and cry once. 

Any division will get you back into the loop of shooting uspsa. Carry ops is nothing like open. You’ll be shooting with a dot but is totally different than open division. Buy whatever you think you’ll have fun with.

Hello: I am shooting Carry Optics right now and having alot of fun with it. I started Carry Optics with a Glock 17 with a Brownells slide for an RMR. I am running a Holosun 507C and really like it. My new Carry optics pistol as of Monday is a Sig P320X5 with a Romeo 1 on top. Both pistols have there goods and differences. Glock mags are cheap and so are most of the parts. The Sig is a nicer grip for me and a better aftermarket trigger setup. I did buy an adapter plate for the Sig so I can put the Holosun on it if needed. If you go for open get a used TruBor in 9mm and don't look back. Both carry optics and open on most stages you will need one reload but and the big but is that carry optics is minor scoring. Welcome back to the sport and get out there and have some fun. Thanks, Eric

I’d run an X5 with the Romeo 3 Max when that is available. 

I personally love shooting open, but also quite enjoy shooting CO. If I couldn’t afford an open gun I’d shoot CO and be content. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, OperationHitFactor said:

Hello all,

So I've been away from USPSA for about 5 or 6 years. The whole mid 30s career shuffle took me away. At any rate, I'm about to jump back in and decided on Open. While I was away the guns have changed a bit, shorties, stroked, titanium comps, tungsten sleeves, full length dust covers, metal grips, endless red dot options, and oh my build prices have increased (not a criticism just and observation). 

I'm definitely going to have to do a bit of research before I stroke a check to one of these fine builders and drop 6 to 8 grand. Then there will be the whole 6 to 14 month wait. So until then...

Carry Optics! I'm going to grab a Glock 17 or Sig X5 just to get back on the range and catch a few matches. My question:

Which dot?? I looked at a few different options, Delta Point, RMR, Romeo, RTS. Honestly they all have a good enough window and dot to get the job done. So not really looking to debate all the individual characteristics. Which one seems to be taking the abuse the best??

Thanks

I shot Carry optics (sig xfive with Romeo 1 6moa) while waiting for my open to be built. Now Reload 9 minor and 9 major, have 2 rigs and a dozen magazines. If I had to do it all over again. I would buy a used sti trubor 9 major shoot that while I wait for my custom build. Saves a tone of 💰 plus carry optics shoots way different than open so no practice there either.

Find a builder you like have him build you a full size 9 major then buy a trubor, whatever path you choose it’s always a win win when it comes to pew pew 👍👍

Edited by Gviz