Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hiperfire ECL stopped resetting

Have an ECL in an MPX with probably close to 10K rounds on it.  Went single-shot at a match last week, and I assumed at the time it was the extractor spring (current one has ~5K rounds on it.)  Turned out after testing it again at the range that the gun was extracting just fine... the trigger wasn't resetting.  However, to make things more mysterious, it resets just fine by manually cycling it.  

This started happening mid-match, so nothing was changed or newly introduced.

Is this more likely a simple spring issue, or something with the disconnector that Hiperfire will need to look at?  I don't mind buying another ECL and sending the existing one back to be fixed (should have two anyway), but if a spring replacement is likely to fix it I'll try that first.  I'd just do it and not bother the forum about it, but the closest range is 25 minutes away.  Spending an hour in transit plus range fees for incremental testing isn't any fun, so if the consensus is a new trigger then I won't bother.

It's also tempting to buy a new Gen 3 for a full backup... but that involves intensive wife negotiations.  Daughter at college is siphoning off the excess cash.  😉

I recently had a 24c fail in the middle of match. Quick email to Hiperfire describing the problem and they had parts to me in 3 days which fixed the problem. Highly impressed by their support. Drop them a line...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Less then 200 rounds through for the piston since cleaning.  I've gone 10 times that.  The bolt is coming back... the spent round is ejected, and a new round is fed in.  The trigger just doesn't reset.  When hand cycling the bolt with the charging handle the trigger resets long before the empty round would be ejected.  

I suspect disconnector failure of some sort, though I'm puzzled why it would reset with manual cycling but not when it's being cycled by the piston.

Emailed Hiperfire, so I'll see what they say.

10K rounds? and something fails? I'd say it had a great run!!! We are really beginning to see now......end of life more often for components in the AR world. The rifles were just never designed to last that long with out failures.........even with the best of maintenance. Besides it failing at 10K......did you like the trigger? Replace it......drive on. Don;t even give it a second thought.

Back in the day, We'd replace Krieger barrels after a season of service rifle play......cause they'd never make 2 seasons and we wanted to always start fresh......new barrel, new bolt/carrier....possibly a new upper. And that was 7,000 rounds for a season with practice and match.

Oh, I'm not complaining (though I hope your fantastic ULW barrel lasts more than 10K... I've got 8K through it 😀), just trying to figure out the most likely fix before heading back to the range and maybe wasting a trip.  Shooting a major next weekend and I really don't want to have to take the Tavor (love shooting it, but it's too slow), so I'll probably just order another ECL and send the first back to Hiperfire unless they just ship out parts.  Triggers are wear parts, and from what I've read I'm lucky to get 10K.  I'm very close to just buying an MPX gen 3 and use this gen 2 as backup and for steel challenge.  

We're spoiled here in DFW in that we can shoot 2 and occasionally 3 matches a week, every week, all year.  Even without any live practice that really runs up the round count.  

Well.....good news!!! 9mm barrels tend to last a really really long time!! Upper receivers, triggers, and the sort.....maybe not so much. Case in point......my CTR-02 (223) one of the originals.....3rd barrel, 3rd bolt, 2nd upper, 2nd trigger......and it's been shot a lot.

Have you tried cleaning the trigger? It happened on mine before (5000 or so rounds) and I took out the Eclipse, sprayed it with brake parts cleaner and blow it with compressed air. Reinstalled it and everything worked like when it was brand new. I think there were some brass shavings lodged in the disconnector and other parts so when it was cleaned, everything work again.

+1 on REMOVAL and cleaning. 

Same happened to me @ less than 5k on an MPX gen2.

I had spray cleaned without removing and the problem returned in ~50 rounds.

No issues in over 1000 rounds after pulling & cleaning.

10 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Well.....good news!!! 9mm barrels tend to last a really really long time!! Upper receivers, triggers, and the sort.....maybe not so much. Case in point......my CTR-02 (223) one of the originals.....3rd barrel, 3rd bolt, 2nd upper, 2nd trigger......and it's been shot a lot.

Interesting... What wears out on the upper?  Assume it's wear from the bolt sliding in and out?

I try to clean that area well...  Thinking that removing all the grit will help it last longer...  I clean it as best as I can using a toothbrush and solvent and then use a 12ga mop to finish up...

On 4/20/2019 at 9:03 AM, George16 said:

Have you tried cleaning the trigger? It happened on mine before (5000 or so rounds) and I took out the Eclipse, sprayed it with brake parts cleaner and blow it with compressed air. Reinstalled it and everything worked like when it was brand new. I think there were some brass shavings lodged in the disconnector and other parts so when it was cleaned, everything work again.

This was sound advice, especially since the trigger hasn't been completely out of the gun since I put it in last March.  There were shavings, extra sear grease, etc., but the most likely culprit appears in the image.  In my wife's words (she's holding the assembly) that spring 'looks pretty jacked up.'  😆  There's very little tension on the disconnector... I can see how it would grab when hand cycling using the charging handle, but not have enough tension when the bolt is at speed.

There's a pristine spring in the original trigger assembly, but I've no idea how to replace that, and a quick googling doesn't show any instructions.  I'll buy a new one and let let Hiperfire deal with it, and use it for a backup once it's working.

disconnector spring l.jpg