Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC newbie looking for stage technique tips

Hello PCC shooters. So I ran a classifier match and should know soon where I rank in classifier land. My question to advanced competitors is where do you shave off time on field stages with PCC compared to pistol. My initial thought is being slick and versitile with movement in and out on hard leans. Then I'm thinking some of what parallels with pistol technigue such as shoot on move,shoot going into and exiting positions etc. Advice shared is appreciated, thanks.

squad with the higher ranked open guys and copy their stage plan

of course there may be some differences due to PCC having the advantage on long range, and open having the advantage for hard leans and tight spaces.

but in general, there's normally only 1, maybe 2 ways to run a stage.

everything else with PCC is accuracy and how fast you can pull the trigger

Field course shooting uses the same principles regardless of the platform.  Biggest difference is you will need to learn how to handle a 7# broomstick while moving.  Learn how to move to your weak side and backwards.  You'll have similar stage plans as open shooters.   Don't think sitting back and picking off targets is faster than moving and engaging.  It's not.

The fundamentals will get you far.

Grip.  You want a good planted shoulder mount or your second shot will drift.   Get this habit now.  I'm still battling "soft shouldering" after a few seasons.

Gun up.  Come in ready to shoot.  Keep the stock glued to the shoulder.  You save the most time here.

Balance/Stability.   How much do you need for the position.

Have fun!

19 minutes ago, longbeard said:

Field course shooting uses the same principles regardless of the platform.  Biggest difference is you will need to learn how to handle a 7# broomstick while moving.  Learn how to move to your weak side and backwards.  You'll have similar stage plans as open shooters.   Don't think sitting back and picking off targets is faster than moving and engaging.  It's not.

The fundamentals will get you far.

Grip.  You want a good planted shoulder mount or your second shot will drift.   Get this habit now.  I'm still battling "soft shouldering" after a few seasons.

Gun up.  Come in ready to shoot.  Keep the stock glued to the shoulder.  You save the most time here.

Balance/Stability.   How much do you need for the position.

Have fun!

Good info on specifics! Thanks

Some have found that bringing the buttstock closer to your centerline instead of back in that pocket formed by your shoulder.is a bit better.

If you are a longtime shooter of rifles and shotguns, this may seem awkward but once you get used to it you will see the benefits.  In my case, it works best if I keep the buttstock short (1st or 2nd notch).

Catch a few Youtube videos by Josh Froelich and you can see what I mean.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
9 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Some have found that bringing the buttstock closer to your centerline instead of back in that pocket formed by your shoulder.is a bit better.

If you are a longtime shooter of rifles and shotguns, this may seem awkward but once you get used to it you will see the benefits.  In my case, it works best if I keep the buttstock short (1st or 2nd notch).

Catch a few Youtube videos by Josh Froelich and you can see what I mean

Are you referencing straight on shooting in general or for around barricades,ports Etc.? I have found that coming around the left side of a barricade with a tight lean I can keep the buttstock more center Lined towards my left shoulder, keep my right hand on the firing duties and closing my right eye will allow me to get a pretty far&secure lean for target engagement.

You want the stock in on your collarbone (its actually resting on your pec) underneath your dominant eye.

You can REALLY wrench the gun hard back into your chest to keep it flat, and it doesn’t torque your body to the side with recoil. 

Biggest tip for shooting PCC? Move. Keep moving. Shoot poppers at twenty yards on rhe move. Don’t post up like you’re running a Production gun. You have a rifle and speed is king just like Open.

44 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Are you referencing straight on shooting in general ............

Around barricades move the buttstock where it needs to be to best allow the shot.  On some hard leans, the buttstock may not need to even touch your shoulder (a laser can be your best friend).  This is why I require my PCC to run 100% whether its pulled hard into my shoulder or I'm holding it out by one hand.

On "general shooting" moving the buttstock closer to your centerline allows you to square up your shoulders towards the target rather than use a boxer's stance.  Benefits are (1) you can transition more like a turret,  (2) the mild recoil of the 9mm comes straight into you body resulting in less body twisting due to the recoil and (3) you only need to drop your head straight down to pick up the sights rather than twisting your head over the buttstock.

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You want the stock in on your collarbone (its actually resting on your pec) underneath your dominant eye.

You can REALLY wrench the gun hard back into your chest to keep it flat, and it doesn’t torque your body to the side with recoil. 

Biggest tip for shooting PCC? Move. Keep moving. Shoot poppers at twenty yards on rhe move. Don’t post up like you’re running a Production gun. You have a rifle and speed is king just like Open.

Yep, I know I definitely have to work on my shoot on the move technique with a carbine. A lot of muzzle bounce.... Do you change your grip/hold ,other than for the closest shooting on move targets, such as bringing the support hand in and bend the elbow more, Etc? Thanks

Don’t just follow the pack, make your stage plan play into your strengths while minimizing your weaknesses. If you shoot a stage below 80% find out what went wrong and improve on that.

I tried the short stock on chest, it wasn’t for me I had a 1-3 o’clock dot track. I’m now loading my shoulder more into the stock, with stock all the way out. It makes a perfect 12 oclock track fast snappy dot. 

2 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Yep, I know I definitely have to work on my shoot on the move technique with a carbine. A lot of muzzle bounce.... Do you change your grip/hold ,other than for the closest shooting on move targets, such as bringing the support hand in and bend the elbow more, Etc? Thanks

No, it’s highly helpful to have the offhand OUT on the handguard to support / stabilize the muzzle. I like a position roughly described as “stretch out until the elbow is locked out, then pull your hand back an inch or so” so that you have some bend in the elbow, which lets your bicep and pec drive the gun back into your chest harder.

For me, the key to shooting on the move is to be low with the torso forward - not upright in legs OR chest.

Nope, lower that! Try again! ;)  

If your thighs don’t feel a deep burn, you’re definitely up too high. 

Just like a handgun, shooting fast is an active thing that involves muscles working; grip the handguard hard - and drive it back hard. Drive shoulder forward into stock hard. Chest far enough forward over hips that you’re somewhat on the balls of your feet, legs bent enough it’s not comfortable and there’s some burning being felt.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Man this forum is great! Yes I know I need to develop my own style and habits but working off of experienced shooters fundamentals gives the newer crowd a head start in the right direction. Thanks!

I have been shooting USPSA for many years in Open and Limited pistol class.  The biggest change for me shooting PCC was thats its scored minor.  You get 3 points for a C instead of 4 points.  Concentrate on trying to shoot all "A" s.  I am not shooting on the move nearly as much as I did with a pistol.  I'm a B shooter is all classes.