Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA pro match ultra 40 vs STI Edge for limited

BamaShooter88

I’m new to the competition world. I’ve been shooting limited minor. I want to save up and get a good limited major gun. I don’t have a lot of money to invest. So my options are a used sti edge, ria pro match, cz’s and tanfos. I’m leaning towards the 2011 platform but very open to suggestions. I would like my budget to be $1500 but can add a couple hundred if needed. Here is my dilemma though. This is just a hobby for me. I don’t think I’ll ever have the time to invest to become a sponsored shooter. I shoot 1-2 matches a month and dry fire\ live fire 2-3 days a week. I know the custom 2011’s are the cream of the crop but is the price difference really worth it? What would I benefit from buying a used sti over a ria pro match. I don’t mind spending the extra money if it’s really worth it but to me it seems like the ria would do just as good in USPSA. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

I’m new to the competition world. I’ve been shooting limited minor. I want to save up and get a good limited major gun. I don’t have a lot of money to invest. So my options are a used sti edge, ria pro match, cz’s and tanfos. I’m leaning towards the 2011 platform but very open to suggestions. I would like my budget to be $1500 but can add a couple hundred if needed. Here is my dilemma though. This is just a hobby for me. I don’t think I’ll ever have the time to invest to become a sponsored shooter. I shoot 1-2 matches a month and dry fire\ live fire 2-3 days a week. I know the custom 2011’s are the cream of the crop but is the price difference really worth it? What would I benefit from buying a used sti over a ria pro match. I don’t mind spending the extra money if it’s really worth it but to me it seems like the ria would do just as good in USPSA. Correct me if I’m wrong. 
Hindsight is 20/20:

Have a 2011 and love it. However, with all the money spent on it the fiscally responsible deal would've been to buy two TSOs and have a backup. The trigger is very nice and the gun is just as heavy as my steel grip 2011 with limcat magwell and EGW mainspring housing.

If you're not partial get a TSO. They are awesome out the box and come with 4 twenty round magazines. You can literally shoot a match the same day. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Hindsight is 20/20:

Have a 2011 and love it. However, with all the money spent on it the fiscally responsible deal would've been to buy two TSOs and have a backup. The trigger is very nice and the gun is just as heavy as my steel grip 2011 with limcat magwell and EGW mainspring housing.

If you're not partial get a TSO. They are awesome out the box and come with 4 twenty round magazines. You can literally shoot a match the same day. Hope this helps.

Yea that’s what I’m talking about.  Does the extra $500-$2000 really make that big of a difference. I mean yea if money wasn’t an issue I’d definitely get a custom built 2011. But since it’s a hobby I need a lot of proof to justify that cost. Bob Vogel shoots glocks. So a gun can’t make you a better shooter. But I also don’t want to spend $1000 and then decide 2-3 months later I need the sti 

Yea that’s what I’m talking about.  Does the extra $500-$2000 really make that big of a difference. I mean yea if money wasn’t an issue I’d definitely get a custom built 2011. But since it’s a hobby I need a lot of proof to justify that cost. Bob Vogel shoots glocks. So a gun can’t make you a better shooter. But I also don’t want to spend $1000 and then decide 2-3 months later I need the sti 
Hindsight is 20/20:

If you're not partial get a TSO. They are awesome out the box and come with 4 twenty round magazines. You can literally shoot a match the same day. Otherwise, 2011s rock and to a lesser degree so do double stack 1911s such as ope this helps.

I've shot his glock 24 and it's awesome. I may be adding one in the future. If you want a gun that transitions fast then a 24 is the way to go. With an aftermarket barrel such as KKM you'll get tight lockup and accuracy.

CZ Tac Sport Orange or used Edge for a season or two.

By then you’ll know what you want to buy to replace it, and these guns hold their value exceptionally well. You’ll get most of your money right back out of it.

If you buy a custom gun right away, it’ll inevitably have the wrong options and you’ll spend money reconfiguring it.

Shoot a basic gun until you become a discerning enough shooter to know the difference.

also: hint. 90% of the guys who wear a jersey full of logos? They paid money for that shirt. Their “sponsorship” amounts to a 10% discount because they paid $100 to wear that companies name.

The sponsorship thing is a small joke with most of us veterans who know better. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have and shoot both CZ TSOs and 2011 in .40. 

Either the TSO or an Edge would be a good start, provided  you find a good deal on used ones.  TSOs are known for running 100% out of the box, no tweaking mags or changing gun parts.  The Edge, not so much; you could be getting a good deal or inheriting someone else's problem.  Before making the decision see if you can hold, preferably shoot both, as they definitely have a different feel. 

27 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I have and shoot both CZ TSOs and 2011 in .40. 

Either the TSO or an Edge would be a good start, provided  you find a good deal on used ones.  TSOs are known for running 100% out of the box, no tweaking mags or changing gun parts.  The Edge, not so much; you could be getting a good deal or inheriting someone else's problem.  Before making the decision see if you can hold, preferably shoot both, as they definitely have a different feel. 

I’ve held cz 75b and spo1 shadow. Never a tso or 2011. I’m not gonna jump into one anytime soon. I just needed some clarification on why go custom 2011 over cz tso. So I can watch for good used deals.

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Hindsight is 20/20:

If you're not partial get a TSO. They are awesome out the box and come with 4 twenty round magazines. You can literally shoot a match the same day. Otherwise, 2011s rock and to a lesser degree so do double stack 1911s such as ope this helps.

I've shot his glock 24 and it's awesome. I may be adding one in the future. If you want a gun that transitions fast then a 24 is the way to go. With an aftermarket barrel such as KKM you'll get tight lockup and accuracy.

That’s awesome! I’m a die hard glock fan. That’s all I own right now but when I make the jump to limited major next season I want a metal framed sa gun

1 minute ago, BamaShooter88 said:

I just needed some clarification on why go custom 2011 over cz tso. So I can watch for good used deals.

definitely would not go with a custom ($3K+) 2011 until you figure out if that platform fits your shooting style, well unless your money tree is flourishing much better than mine.

This same topic has been covered at least 987453487345784875 times on this forum. Did you search the forum for your answer before starting a new thread? There is a mountain of good information already defined in existing threads about this exact topic. Use it.

Just now, muncie21 said:

definitely would not go with a custom ($3K+) 2011 until you figure out if that platform fits your shooting style, well unless your money tree is flourishing much better than mine.

No not at all lol very tight budget. That’s why I’m getting all the info I can 

Just now, CHA-LEE said:

This same topic has been covered at least 987453487345784875 times on this forum. Did you search the forum for your answer before starting a new thread? There is a mountain of good information already defined in existing threads about this exact topic. Use it.

Yes I did search. Could not find a comparison between the two platforms. What’s wrong with starting a new thread? If no one wants to comment they don’t have to. If there is an issue with it then I apologize. I’m new to forums.

35 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

The horror!

Now get off my lawn!

1 minute ago, Artyforty said:

The horror!

Now get off my lawn!

With 13 total posts to your name at the time your reply you don't have much "Lawn" to get off of. How about adding some value to the forum before expecting everyone else to cater to you.

36 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

So you forgot about the below thread that you also started which also covers the same thing?

This topic didn’t cover the ria platform. What is the issue with making separate threads? They are similar but very different. 

Hayes custom has a good video discussing the rock island

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjPlpWnitvhAhWPsJ4KHVr0ATYQwqsBMAJ6BAgGEAo&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

I was in your same position and bought a used tanfoglio limited .40 and it's been great for me. I would have also bought an edge if the price was right.

There is less support out there for CZ / Tanfo / RIA. Less custom parts, less gunsmith expertise, less guys on the range to loan you a magazine, etc. So that's something to consider.

30 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Hayes custom has a good video discussing the rock island

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjPlpWnitvhAhWPsJ4KHVr0ATYQwqsBMAJ6BAgGEAo&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

I was in your same position and bought a used tanfoglio limited .40 and it's been great for me. I would have also bought an edge if the price was right.

There is less support out there for CZ / Tanfo / RIA. Less custom parts, less gunsmith expertise, less guys on the range to loan you a magazine, etc. So that's something to consider.

Yea that makes sense. I’m gonna try to get a used edge if I can find a good deal. But I want to get one as soon as possible also 

I bought a rock island the first year I started shooting USPSA. For what it is its an okay gun.

If I could do it over again I would have bought a CZ Tac sport or a Tanfoglio limited. The tac sport orange is also a good option but to me its not worth the extra $500

Both have plenty of aftermarket parts and mags are half the cost of 2011 mags and dont need to be tuned as much.

CZ tac sports are no longer being imported so used or maybe find a dealer that would have one left.

IFG will be importing some new tanfoglio models mid summer that look amazing and should be in the $1,200 range

2011's are great but by the time your done your going to be closer to $2k for a used one.

If you want a steel grip $600 more.

The best thing to do is when your at a local match ask some shooters if you can handle their guns at the safe table and see what feels best to you.

Egro's are very important for newer shooters.

Any of these guns will get you to grand master but you have to dry fire and live fire train.

In reality the gun is the cheapest part of our sport even for guys that buy $6k custom builds 

When you get serious in USPSA  and start traveling to major matches a back up gun will be a must so take that into consideration.

Ideally you will want the same platform whichever you choose so your mags and gear will be the same.

Edited by je85