Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automating the Case/Media Separator tumbling?

I'm reloading 9mm on a 650XL, with a case feeder.  To clean my brass, I'm using a Vibratory Case Cleaner and then tumbling that media in a CM-2000 Case/Media Separator (http://www.dillonprecision.com/cm-2000-case-media-separator_8_8_23662.html) to get the media out of the cases.  

I'm finding that I need to tumble the cases in the CM-2000 for a while, at least 15-20 minutes, to get all of the media out of them.  If there is even just a small amount of media remaining in a case, it commonly will  end up getting into my case feeder and causing a jam.  So I'm looking for options to be more thorough in that media separation step, ideally while also requiring less of my dedicated time. I'm wondering if/how I could connect a motor to the CM-2000 to automate the tumbling process?

I've only been reloading for a year, so I'm fairly new to the process.  With all of the creativity I've seen for automating and streamlining the reloading process, I wonder if anyone else has tackled this issue before?  I searched the forum but didn't find anything, feel free to point me to other threads if indeed this has been covered.  Many thanks in advance!

I would start using a larger grain media so that it don’t get into the small places such as primer pockets. I’ve had the same problem, with what I am using now it only takes a minute or two to get it all out of the brass.

1 hour ago, JohnStewart said:

I wonder if anyone else has tackled this issue before?

What I do to avoid media sticking in the brass is after I turn the handle on the seperator for several turns I physically pick up the seperator and shake it very hard over the pan. I have found it removes all the media. No need for any additional steps. Hope this helps.

If you don't want to use pins, do your wet tumbling with brass juice. Even faster and easier than pins, who are collecting dust now.

When i dry tumbled, I never had to turn the separator that long. Maybe 15-20 seconds, back and forth. Pistol cases are even easier to do than rifle. I would definitely look at your media and look for something a little bigger.