Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honcho Shooters

93notch

4 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

I'm just about ready to pull the pin on a Honcho. I will mostly be shooting limited majors with the gun, but there is a strong chance that I may move on to shoot open at some point. With that said, would it be advisable to stick with the steel grip, or would it be recommended to go with the lighter aluminum grip?

Almost everyone uses steel for Limited and Open.

The only people I see using aluminum are 3 gun people who are shooting minor and want a lighter gun for running around with it on their hip... but, even then, it's probably up to personal preference. It does seem like there are some aluminum frame 2011s that shoot really flat though (like the Atlas Hyperion). Probably just need proper engineering to get the balance just right so that the return to zero works well.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, VU2AKILL said:

I have a DAA race holster for shooting USPSA but I am going to shoot some 3 gun as well.  What holsters are you 3 gunners using with your Honchos?

I’m also interested in hearing this.  I don’t see a lot of holsters that are setup for a sight block gun.  

1 hour ago, UpYoursPal said:

I’m also interested in hearing this.  I don’t see a lot of holsters that are setup for a sight block gun.  

Quoting myself here because I reached out to Red Hill Tactical about this question, and they said that the "Custom framed 5.5 fits them"

47 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

Quoting myself here because I reached out to Red Hill Tactical about this question, and they said that the "Custom framed 5.5 fits them"

Perfect!!  I was on their website this morning and I figured that might be the one.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 8:31 AM, VU2AKILL said:

I have a DAA race holster for shooting USPSA but I am going to shoot some 3 gun as well.  What holsters are you 3 gunners using with your Honchos?

I spent a lot of time debating this, shoot a lot of 3 gun and switch divisions between open and tac with the honcho. In the end I decided on a race holster and didn't regret it last season. I use the everglades holster and it's money. I had to go prone once with the pistol last season (unloaded) and was kind of pissed but just slid it back on my hip so it couldn't touch the ground, worked out fine since I had a long distance to draw and load. After 20+ 3 gun matches with a race holster I don't think I will ever go back.

Edited by inertia

I went out on a limb and ordered the Nerd Urn which is designed for the STI DVC Open. I swapped in 5/8" spacers, cut out little windows to accommodate the full dust cover of the Honcho, and then shortened it a bit for the hell of it. Probably could have used heat instead of cutting for the dust cover, but cutting was fast and easy. 

It also came with the Nerd Gallows hanger, which is super nice. I don't have what I need yet to put that on my belt with a release, so i'm still using my BOSS for now.

The retention is super strong cranked down and takes a bit of an extra jerk, but still releases nice and smooth with medium and light tension on the thumb screw, which is all I need most of the time. 

Modding the Urn should work for other open guns too I think, Chaos and such. 

20210120_170248.jpg

Edited by Blockader

16 hours ago, inertia said:

I spent a lot of time debating this, shoot a lot of 3 gun and switch divisions between open and tac with the honcho. In the end I decided on a race holster and didn't regret it last season. I use the everglades holster and it's money. I had to go prone once with the pistol last season (unloaded) and was kind of pissed but just slid it back on my hip so it couldn't touch the ground, worked out fine since I had a long distance to draw and load. After 20+ 3 gun matches with a race holster I don't think I will ever go back.

I really like the race holster too.  This is good info.  Thanks

16 hours ago, Blockader said:

I went out on a limb and ordered the Nerd Urn which is designed for the STI DVC Open. I swapped in 5/8" spacers, cut out little windows to accommodate the full dust cover of the Honcho, and then shortened it a bit for the hell of it. Probably could have used heat instead of cutting for the dust cover, but cutting was fast and easy. 

It also came with the Nerd Gallows hanger, which is super nice. I don't have what I need yet to put that on my belt with a release, so i'm still using my BOSS for now.

The retention is super strong cranked down and takes a bit of an extra jerk, but still releases nice and smooth with medium and light tension on the thumb screw, which is all I need most of the time. 

Modding the Urn should work for other open guns too I think, Chaos and such. 

20210120_170248.jpg

I think the cutout looks good since the silver color contrasts with the holster.  Nice job.

13 hours ago, VU2AKILL said:

I really like the race holster too.  This is good info.  Thanks

I think about it this way, the conventional wisdom is you need kydex to protect the gun, but if your prone its the optic that's going to get wrecked first and a kydex open holster gives zero help here. Also people talk about retention but the best race holsters have very strong retention with a little lever to free the gun. I'm not sure what it would take to remove my gun without my releasing it, but it probably requires power tools. I shot like 8 majors last year and had to fully prone on a bad surface only once. Good stage designers aren't really doing it anymore. When I must I just shift it back on the belt and leave the cover on the dot. I can draw, load, slap the cover off and be on target in a few strides running and I have always had more time than that. 

10 hours ago, inertia said:

I think about it this way, the conventional wisdom is you need kydex to protect the gun, but if your prone its the optic that's going to get wrecked first and a kydex open holster gives zero help here. Also people talk about retention but the best race holsters have very strong retention with a little lever to free the gun. I'm not sure what it would take to remove my gun without my releasing it, but it probably requires power tools. I shot like 8 majors last year and had to fully prone on a bad surface only once. Good stage designers aren't really doing it anymore. When I must I just shift it back on the belt and leave the cover on the dot. I can draw, load, slap the cover off and be on target in a few strides running and I have always had more time than that. 

I know that if I do not unlock my DAA holster, I can easily pull my pants and belt combo over my head without the pistol ever coming out of it!!  LOL 

On 1/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, UpYoursPal said:

I was told the same thing by Red Hill Tactical. My Honcho DOES NOT fit in their 5.5" custom frame holster. It's a very nice looking holster, but the Honcho is way too tight of a fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, anyone else had issues installing the second spring on the Aftec extractor and actually getting it completely back into the extractor tunnel?  

Has some spotty extraction shooting 9 major and was advised to try both springs to resolve the issue, but have a hell of a time getting it into the slide with both springs installed.   Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

So, anyone else had issues installing the secod spring on the Aftec extractor and actually getting it completely back into the extractor tunnel?  

Has some spotty extraction shooting 9 major and was advised to try both springs to resolve the issue, but have a hell of a time getting it into the slide with both springs installed.   Thoughts?

I use a tiny long allen or other small diamater tool to help hold it and pry it in there. Also this helped my extraction with 9 minor, fitting and installing a 9mm aftec with both springs helped even more, shhhh don't tell Tiffany 😉

19 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

So, anyone else had issues installing the second spring on the Aftec extractor and actually getting it completely back into the extractor tunnel?  

You have to put the extractor in with the cap facing you. Appl pressure with a tool to get it started. Then spin it to proper position to install