Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honcho Shooters

93notch

Really tempted to throw in on one of these.  Been hearing so many good things about it that it's almost too-tempting not to buy it!  A few questions though:

1) I didn't see anything on PT's site about a deposit for the gun.  Do they require one?

2) Does signing up for the waiting list obligate you to buying one?

3) Lastly, best mags for them?  MBX or something else?

Thanks all.  Really glad to hear that this platform is taking off.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best to contact PT directly with questions 1 & 2. They are very responsive with questions via email at info@ptrinity.com.

And to your 3rd question, I've had good luck with all kinds of mags... I mainly use old style SV mags in mine, but MBX mags are a great choice too since they are readily available, and  generally pre-tuned, although sometimes you need to double check the feed lips, and I always change the guts out for Grams springs/followers. But I've also been able to get STIs gen 2 style mags to work in mine, although I don't have extensive data with the later, just ran a couple mags worth of 9mm through so far. 

Bottom line is you won't be disappointed in the purchase. I would do it all over again. Yes, I'm a sponsored shooter, and got mine for free, but I may be the biggest fan of this gun. The ability to shoot multiple calibers/divisions is so much fun it's kinda addicting! Haha. 

I mainly shoot Open in USPSA, but I shoot allot of falling steel or PRO AM style matches where I can shoot 9mm minor, and I like to shoot 9MAJOR in local matches, and then 38 super comp at major matches, and I never have to re-zero my optic. I switch loads and it's always dead on. No other change other than the changing out the barrel between 9/38. 

It's not for everyone, but for me it's been a dream gun. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm super close to ordering one of these, but one of the things making me hesitate is availability of replacement barrels in the future... It may very well be a superior design, but, since Phoenix Trinity is the only company who makes barrels like this, if something happens & they cease to exist down the road for some reason, you're kinda out of luck, yeah? Anybody have thoughts on this? It would be a different story if other manufacturers started adopting the same design...

On 7/11/2019 at 6:44 AM, UpYoursPal said:

Really tempted to throw in on one of these.  Been hearing so many good things about it that it's almost too-tempting not to buy it!  A few questions though:

1) I didn't see anything on PT's site about a deposit for the gun.  Do they require one?

2) Does signing up for the waiting list obligate you to buying one?

3) Lastly, best mags for them?  MBX or something else?

Thanks all.  Really glad to hear that this platform is taking off.

I asked about the deposit recently and was told this: 

"To get the order going you can pay either the entire amount or a 50% deposit. This can be done via our website or by calling in. If you pay the deposit, the balance is due before serial number which is the last step before coating. 

Yes, we are still running 10 weeks out."

1 hour ago, avastcosmicarena said:

I'm super close to ordering one of these, but one of the things making me hesitate is availability of replacement barrels in the future... It may very well be a superior design, but, since Phoenix Trinity is the only company who makes barrels like this, if something happens & they cease to exist down the road for some reason, you're kinda out of luck, yeah? Anybody have thoughts on this? It would be a different story if other manufacturers started adopting the same design...

Most barrels last more rounds than the average shooter will ever put through it. Not saying it can’t or hasn’t been done, just that it is not common. 

Watching closely for the soon to be released IPSC model. I might be the first one in Canada to test it out. I was dead set on getting a limcat then came across honcho. Great value but not enough reviews out there.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I keep trying to convince myself that I don't to go back to open but dang I want one of these!  

It could also serve as a back up to your G24 limited gun.😎

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:30 PM, MVPFc said:

The IPSC Model will be released soon 😊

the sight block system is legal now from 1.2020 😲

it  can save the salary  of few mech.eng. from development dep.  honcho can sent me one gun present  as a bonus 😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, Chris Keen said:

That's exactly what I do. I can shoot 9mm MAJOR at local matches and not worry about picking up my brass, and in just a couple minutes switch out the barrel and go shoot a major match with .38 super comp.

I use AC, HS6, or 3n37 as a powder choice in 9mm major and with some minor variations in those 3 powders in terms of recoil impulse, it feels just like my 38 super comp loads, which are either 3n37 or AA7. Same power factor as well (169-170).

The recoil impulse using Auto Comp is noticeably more sluggish to me, but still useable as a good choice in open. I just prefer VV powders or A7, as they are more soft but snappy. 

Im seriously considering getting a Honcho with a 9 mm major open barrel and 40 sight block barrels only. I currently run a Brazos 38 Super Open pistol and STI Edge .40 Limited major.  These would be my backups to the Honcho. My question is if the 9mm major has the same recoil impulse as a 38 Super comp why would you run a 38 super comp barrel instead of 9mm major all the time? Thanks

4 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Im seriously considering getting a Honcho with a 9 mm major open barrel and 40 sight block barrels only. I currently run a Brazos 38 Super Open pistol and STI Edge .40 Limited major.  These would be my backups to the Honcho. My question is if the 9mm major has the same recoil impulse as a 38 Super comp why would you run a 38 super comp barrel instead of 9mm major all the time? Thanks

Great question that I am curious about as well.  I have a Honcho on order with both 9mm and 38sc barrels (couldn't pass up the holiday sale).  Is there a perceived difference in reliability, prompting the use of 38 at Major matches? 

1 minute ago, Balakay said:

Great question that I am curious about as well.  I have a Honcho on order with both 9mm and 38sc barrels (couldn't pass up the holiday sale).  Is there a perceived difference in reliability, prompting the use of 38 at Major matches? 

Yeah I wish I would have paid more attention to this idea around Black Friday or Christmas. Too much flip -flopping around as to what I wanted to shoot this year and after putting some time behind my current 38 Super I realize that this is how I want to roll but want a 9 mm option so I don't have to keep playing "brass pikin chicken". Maybe they'll throw another sale or promo out there for people like me on the fence who feel like we've totally missed out on the great deal they had at Christmas time ( hint hint PT!)

The truth is I've shot 38 Super & 38 Supercomp for roughly 12 years prior to trying a 9 major gun, so I've gotten used to a certain recoil impulse. And I obviously have all the equipment nessecery to load 38, so I've just been kinda easing into the 9 major setup. 

But yes the recoil is very similar. Is it exactly the same? That's up for debate.  Allot of things go into the "feel" of recoil/impulse (bullet weight, powder type, spring setup, gun weight, shooter grip, etc.)  But the way the HONCHO works with the linkless barrel makes it so soft, it almost doesn't even feel like it's truly 9 MAJOR, but it is. 38 Supercomp has a little snappier feel to it (could just be the fact I prefer 115 gr bullets) so it feels more like major, but again, the feel of any guns recoil is so subjective that could still just be me comparing that feel to my old 38 Supercomp Open guns. 

YMMV

41 minutes ago, Chris Keen said:

The truth is I've shot 38 Super & 38 Supercomp for roughly 12 years prior to trying a 9 major gun, so I've gotten used to a certain recoil impulse. And I obviously have all the equipment nessecery to load 38, so I've just been kinda easing into the 9 major setup. 

But yes the recoil is very similar. Is it exactly the same? That's up for debate.  Allot of things go into the "feel" of recoil/impulse (bullet weight, powder type, spring setup, gun weight, shooter grip, etc.)  But the way the HONCHO works with the linkless barrel makes it so soft, it almost doesn't even feel like it's truly 9 MAJOR, but it is. 38 Supercomp has a little snappier feel to it (could just be the fact I prefer 115 gr bullets) so it feels more like major, but again, the feel of any guns recoil is so subjective that could still just be me comparing that feel to my old 38 Supercomp Open guns. 

YMMV

Chris, are you using the same bullet and powder for 38 and 9?

3 hours ago, Chris Keen said:

Yes. HS6 & a 115 gr. PD JHP

Have you tried PD 124's?  I have a 9 major Honcho on order and i realize, its all personal preference, and if you have tried 124's, what makes you prefer the 115's better? I have heard the lintless system PT uses makes a softer shooting gun and I can't wait to try it out.  

I'm just about ready to pull the pin on a Honcho. I will mostly be shooting limited majors with the gun, but there is a strong chance that I may move on to shoot open at some point. With that said, would it be advisable to stick with the steel grip, or would it be recommended to go with the lighter aluminum grip?

2 minutes ago, SJBriggs said:

I'm just about ready to pull the pin on a Honcho. I will mostly be shooting limited majors with the gun, but there is a strong chance that I may move on to shoot open at some point. With that said, would it be advisable to stick with the steel grip, or would it be recommended to go with the lighter aluminum grip?

Steel 

On 1/17/2020 at 3:02 PM, JJB05 said:

Have you tried PD 124's?  I have a 9 major Honcho on order and i realize, its all personal preference, and if you have tried 124's, what makes you prefer the 115's better? I have heard the lintless system PT uses makes a softer shooting gun and I can't wait to try it out.  

A lot of people prefer 115s because it takes a stronger load to make PF, and that generates more gas, which works the comp better on comp'd guns. Also, slightly faster cycling (probably more noticeable on PCCs than handguns though).

Chris, what's your load with the HS6 to make major?