Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

questions about CZ P-10 F for CO

jmac2112

Hello, all!

I've been shooting a Shadow 2 in Production for about a year now, and I'm thinking about trying out Carry Optics next year (don't want to change horses in midstream).  After hauling up 46 oz. for so long, I'll probably launch the P-10 F into orbit the first time I draw it!  Anyway, I don't actually own a P-10 F yet, but I probably will soon.  The other main contender is the Sig P320 X5.  I've handled both, and I've even shot the Sig, but I keep gravitating toward the CZ.  I love the aggressive grip texture, and from dryfiring the two pistols side by side, I think I prefer the CZ's trigger.  

My main question is, Vortex Venom or Leupold DPP?  The DPP seems to be a little more popular with the competition crowd, but the Vortex is a LOT more popular with my wallet.  Does anyone have experience with both?  Is the DPP really worth the extra $180?  I believe that the Vortex has a slightly smaller window, and I've heard that the dot can appear washed out in certain very sunny conditions.  On the other hand, the DPP seems to have the downside of weighing more and sitting higher, which seems like it could be detrimental to getting back on target quickly.  

Trigger: CGW vs. HBI vs. ????   I think the trigger feels pretty good right out of the box (for a polymer gun), but it might be a little heavy for competition.  I really like CGW products, but they don't list any specs on their website as far as what trigger weight to expect.  

Mags: I've never shot a USPSA stage that was more than about 35 rounds, so 19 round mags seem sufficient.  Any reason I would want +2 basepads?  I've heard they exist, but I don't think I've seen any yet.

I think that's enough for now.  Thanks in advance for your comments!

John

My preferece is DPP.  The dot can be turned up so it is quite bright.  I have two DPPs, and between the two they have been back to Leupold 3 times.  I have an S2 with the slide at CZC getting milled, it will get a DPP when it gets back.  I am running a Venom on my CZC 75 Black, and it is ok.  Yes the dot washes out somewhat, but it is still a good optic.  Just keep in mind that it is not if, but when a dot will fail on a CO gun.  So having a backup optic is recommended.

I am running MG 17 round mags with the extended basepads and spring/follower from CZC, gives me 23+1.  Wished I had more sometimes, but they work quite well.  Some stages I start with my 19+1, some with my 23+1, all depends on where the reload works out to be best.  

There are lots of optic options, but the main question is how much is your time/money worth? Plenty of people run Vortex options, they have great warranties, but the warranty gets used often. The DPP has a good warranty, slower turnaround, but is significantly better made than the Vortex. Sage Dynamics tested a good number of dots and the Trijicon RMR came in 1st, the DPP in 2nd, and last I checked the Holosun 507C is in 3rd. The rest of the dots failed their abusive test. One thing to note is that a 6-8MOA Vortex looks like the 2.5MOA DPP since the DPP can get much brighter than the Vortex dots.

I could buy 2 Venoms or whatever for the cost of a DPP, but then youre taking chances with reliability and needing to re-zero if one fails mid match. Personally I can only make a match or two a month and I would be super pissed if my optic failed before or during a match. YMMV.

As for trigger, HBI all the way with a CGW striker. An HBI with a 3# spring will light off CCI and Federal primers without an issue. I personally like the flat face trigger more as well.

OK, thanks for the feedback!  A couple of follow up questions:

GregJ, what were the issues you had with your DPPs?

nick779, what is it you like about pairing the CGW striker with the HBI trigger?

I shot one that had the HBI. It was sweet!  Best striker fired trigger I've ever felt. Sorry Walther. 

If I'm wasn't already set up for Glocks in CO, and wanted to go with a poly gun, it'd be the P-10 F!

The price is right too!

I shoot DPP.  I've had to send one back. Everyone I know that shoots a dot.jas had to send one back. Regardless of which one. 

Buy at least 2.

I'm gonna get 3. Have 2 guns set up identically. One for practice/backup and the other for matches. If one goes down, send it off and put the 3rd one.  That way I still have a back up. 

17 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

OK, thanks for the feedback!  A couple of follow up questions:

GregJ, what were the issues you had with your DPPs?

nick779, what is it you like about pairing the CGW striker with the HBI trigger?

Its more of a reliability thing. The stock striker has a chance of breaking off at the tip. Im at 2k on the factory one, but it makes me uneasy knowing I dont have a more reliable part.

Most of last year Leupold was fighting through issues with the DPP, but has supposedly since revised the design and reports have become MUCH less frequent of issues with the dot. It was things like the battery contact would come loose or the wake up accelerometer would die after 8-12k rounds. The most reliable one I know of is the RMR Type 2, but the window is small, tinted heavily, and you need to remove the RMR to replace the battery.

Edited by nick779

My first experience with the Sig Romeo 1(Gen 1) was horrible. Would break the glass within less than 200 rounds. Warranty repair was slow, 4-6weeks. Went with the Sig Romeo 1 6moa, no problems yet after 2k rounds.

thank you, 

mark santos

On 4/19/2019 at 9:31 PM, jmac2112 said:

Anyone tried the Holosun 507c?  Sounds like it could be a good option.

Ive heard its pretty good, Sage ranked it in 3rd after the RMR and DPP, but its a solid optic. Its the heaviest of the bunch though at 2.6oz vs 2oz or lower for the DPP/RMR. You may have a slower slide cycle time if that matters to you. I was eyeballing one as buying a backup would put me at $600 vs $800 for DPPs. 

Im giving a DPP a chance so I ordered one last friday. I was eyeballing the Romeo 3, heard mixed reviews about that dot. Handful of good experiences, handful of failures and it hasnt been out long. customer service speed on par with Leupold. Vortex at my club is popular, but most guys have at least 2 of them, some have several backups ontop of that. Just seems a bit ridiculous to need so many backups.

On topic of the HBI trigger, the factory profile "bit" my finger and it was very noticeable after about 50-100 rounds. No pinching with the HBI, and I like the flat profile.

Edited by nick779

Thanks, nick779!  The weight of the Holosun has made me think twice about it, but I really don't know if the .7 oz. difference between that and the DPP would make a noticeable difference.  I suppose the weight difference has a lot to do with the solar panel.  

I run a shadow 2 for Carry optics. With the delta point Pro 2.5. Love the set up. If it were me I would try a dovetail mounted optic and if you like it have the shadow 2 milled for the delta point pro. You could also have CZ custom do their RDS plate, that way you could switch between different optics. I also run the Henning +5/6 bass pads with my Mecgar 17 round mags. I get 23+ one. Those couple extra rounds have come in very handy in several stages.

jeremy kemlo:  I have thought about that option, but have been unsure how much it would cost and whether my gun would still be Production legal.  If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the work, where did you have it done, and is your gun still legal for Production?

Thanks!

John

11 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

jeremy kemlo:  I have thought about that option, but have been unsure how much it would cost and whether my gun would still be Production legal.  If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the work, where did you have it done, and is your gun still legal for Production?

Thanks!

John

The milling for sights is Production legal, however the milling to make weight is not. A stock Shadow 2 will not make CO weight with just an optic milling. Off hand, CGW's milling for a Carry Optics Shadow is around $500-600 last I heard. Its quite expensive.

Edited by nick779