Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Support hand shooting isoceles like dominant hand

neverske

Is it possible to train your support hand to shoot two handed grip isoceles like the dominant hand? If yes HOw? For sometime i am trying to learn to shoot two handed w my support hand but it seems that it cant do the way i shot with my dominant hand.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

If I'm reading this correctly it seems like you're asking if it's possible to train yourself to be ambidextrous (shoot left or right handed with both hands on the gun). If so, then: yes, I don't see why not.

I just experimented (dry fire) and found that my left trigger finger seems to curl into the trigger guard (which makes sense because I'm so accustomed to gripping with my left hand). The whole thing feels a bit odd . . . kind of like the first time I picked up a gun (imagine that!). My left hand was gripping very hard and my right hand seemed relaxed--again, that makes sense since I'm a righty. After a bit of concentration I was able to minimize sight/dot movement. I just had to keep going over the "checklist" (i.e., grip hard, point the gun in the direction you need the bullet to go using the sight/dot, engage the trigger in a manner that doesn't upset the orientation of the sights (or the placement of your dot)).

I'd say the biggest obstacle I encountered in the 5 minutes that I tried this was remembering to grip harder with my support hand. Actually pulling the trigger was not as hard as I would have thought. Then again, I have made an effort to end practice with weak-hand-only.

I would say that it's possible but it would require a very focused effort.

It's up to you to decide if it is truly worth it.

If I'm reading this correctly it seems like you're asking if it's possible to train yourself to be ambidextrous (shoot left or right handed with both hands on the gun). If so, then: yes, I don't see why not.

I just experimented (dry fire) and found that my left trigger finger seems to curl into the trigger guard (which makes sense because I'm so accustomed to gripping with my left hand). The whole thing feels a bit odd . . . kind of like the first time I picked up a gun (imagine that!). My left hand was gripping very hard and my right hand seemed relaxed--again, that makes sense since I'm a righty. After a bit of concentration I was able to minimize sight/dot movement. I just had to keep going over the "checklist" (i.e., grip hard, point the gun in the direction you need the bullet to go using the sight/dot, engage the trigger in a manner that doesn't upset the orientation of the sights (or the placement of your dot)).

I'd say the biggest obstacle I encountered in the 5 minutes that I tried this was remembering to grip harder with my support hand. Actually pulling the trigger was not as hard as I would have thought. Then again, I have made an effort to end practice with weak-hand-only.

I would say that it's possible but it would require a very focused effort.

It's up to you to decide if it is truly worth it.
Thank you sir.

Yes i want to learn how to shoot on my support hand the way my dominant hand can do.
It is really weird cause i cant duplicate the way i hold the gun two handed with my dominant hand. My right hand cant hold the side to side pressure the way my left (support hand) can do.

9 hours ago, neverske said:

It is really weird cause i cant duplicate the way i hold the gun two handed with my dominant hand. My right hand cant hold the side to side pressure the way my left (support hand) can do. 

I agree, that was definitely the hard part. I feel that it might just be a "mind over matter" kind of thing. During dry-fire practice (again I only tried it for about 5 minutes) I kept thinking "Wow, my support hand (right hand) feels very far forward and very weak". Biomechanically/anatomically I see no reason that someone couldn't overcome the grip issue with a very concerted effort. After all, I'm certain that my right hand is capable of gripping harder and for a longer time than my left hand. This is evident in the gym during grip-intensive exercises. While I'm shooting I'm just so used to applying a certain amount of grip strength with my right hand--i.e., grip hard but not to the point where trigger finger dexterity suffers. So, after years of presenting the gun and shooting with the same grip with same mindset, I've gotten to the point where it's automatic. In addition, the range isn't the gym. My mindset in the gym is "hold on for dear life!". There's a bit more finesse in my shooting mindset. So the mindsets are different for different activities, but I always seem to make the choice automatically--or "subconsciously".

And I think that's the key. Practicing until it becomes automatic. I think it's possible. The concern for me would be making sure that my left index finger is out of the trigger guard.

The wildcard is that I haven't really tried this in live fire. I think the feedback of recoil will be very helpful for sorting things out. Think of the doubles drill that has risen in popularity. I see it as an alternative way of teaching someone how to correct themselves. Instead of reaching for the "checklist" you just do the task while being mindful of any variables that are keeping you from completing that task.

Edited by Rez805

I am a lefty and I think the grip memory when switching is something, sometimes when I switch it feels like I actually have a better grip with my right than left for some strange reason probably the muscle memory mentioned above, and trying to crush it with the right normally.

I am a lefty and I think the grip memory when switching is something, sometimes when I switch it feels like I actually have a better grip with my right than left for some strange reason probably the muscle memory mentioned above, and trying to crush it with the right normally.
I can shoot left but only one handed.