Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 V-Comp SCSA holster recommendation

DS-10-SPEED

What is the recommended holster for steel challenge for my V-Comp?

Also which holster has the best chance of not destroying the finish of a satin finish gun?

My previous experience with a plastic holster ruined the finish on my 642 in one day.

Is there a leather recommendation?

my_vcomp.jpg

Edited by DS-10-SPEED
Picture

Any of the race holsters will be best for steel challenge and also best for not messing up a finish as they only touch the trigger guard.

I have a Limcat that I got with a gun, its great but not as low as many like. My wife runs a Hoppner Schuman speed sec 5 (also came with a gun) it is super easy to draw from. 

I don't believe either are readily available now. I know several people running the Double Alpha Race Masters and at least one with a  CR Speed. all seem to work just fine and are plenty secure.

• 1 month later...

I just stopped using my Double Alpha racemaster. The holster will bind during the draw unless the revolver is drawn out perfectly straight, other firearms with differently shaped trigger guards may not have this shortcoming. A kydex holster with an adjustable hangar is faster and more consistent.

All holsters including traditional leather and the DAA Racemaster will affect your finish. I can post pictures of what the DAA does to the gun. A well cared for handgun with extensive holster wear is something to be proud of. If you want the gun to remain perfect, leave it in your safe.

Thanks for the input guys, a friend gave me an old Safariland holster that works OK. It is cloth lined and doesn't cause any damage to the finish. I was promoted to "Super Senior" division this year and I don't think any kind of fast holster is going to help me much. I got the gun ready to go but not so much my aging joints, I will do SCSA only, can't do run and gun stuff. My V-Comp will still see more safe time than range time.

v_comp_new_grip_burris_ff3.jpg_800_600.jpg

holster_800x600.jpg

Edited by DS-10-SPEED

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 8:59 AM, DS-10-SPEED said:

Thanks for the input guys, a friend gave me an old Safariland holster that works OK. It is cloth lined and doesn't cause any damage to the finish. I was promoted to "Super Senior" division this year and I don't think any kind of fast holster is going to help me much. I got the gun ready to go but not so much my aging joints, I will do SCSA only, can't do run and gun stuff. My V-Comp will still see more safe time than range time.

v_comp_new_grip_burris_ff3.jpg_800_600.jpg

holster_800x600.jpg

Where did you get that low profile red dot mount? Very nice.