Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CZ Action Parts from Apex Tactical

hlpressley

29 minutes ago, KlausN said:

I just can’t find any info on apex’s spring weight.  Going from their competition spring to the carry spring, according to Apex’s website increases the da pull by about 1 lb.

Randy, who I'm inferring is/was working for Apex, posted above that the competition spring is 11+ and the carry is roughly a lbs heaver.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply as I haven't been on the forum as of late. 

Bryce- you are correct. Our springs run roughly 11 and 12 lbs. You can definitely try running CZ Custom or Cajun springs of varying weights to get to your preferred DA/SA weight range.

As far as running an extended firing pin, we do not recommend it, especially when combined with a RP f/p spring. We have to drop test from 6 feet onto concrete, and without a f/p block a muzzle down drop can cause ignition even with a factory stock pistol. We have to err on the side of safety. While I don't expect competitors to drop their firearms for that height and in that precise orientation we have to take that into consideration.

When you run an extended firing pin, it increases the chances of a discharge from a lower height. Couple that with an RP return spring then you get into a range where it could be possible that the gun discharge from say the height of a holstered gun at a match even if the hammer does not strike the firing pin. To make matters worse, I have had a report from a shooter that had the gun discharge when he dropped the hammer from the half cock notch by pulling the trigger- using factory US made ammo. To me it is just not worth the risk.

-Randy

I'm running the 12 lb main spring with the OEM firing pin and reduced firing pin spring that came with the kit and it's been 100% on CCI primers so far. I really like the SA pull weight as-is (I don't care for scary light triggers) so I don't plan on trying the 11 lb spring any time soon.

I'm going to chime in here and say that I'm also a big fan of the Apex kit. I'm currently running it in SAO but I've also tried it in DA/SA and I thought the DA pull was quite pleasant. I do like how the SA has a very defined trigger wall and an extremely clean predictable break. For the price, I can't think of a better upgrade for the 75. 

My one request would be for a separate Apex kit that is compatible with extended firing pins so we can run the CGW Short Reset Systems. The reset with the Apex kit is still a tad long for my taste but the benefits in other areas makes up for it. 

Highly recommended. Great job Apex.