Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
hlpressley

New CZ Action Parts from Apex Tactical

Recommended Posts

I’m not the one to discuss trigger minutia, however, I’ve installed the Apex kit in a Shadow 2 and like it a lot.  I first saw the kit it on OpSpec Training social I think, discussing it being able to be prepped. Having taking their Practical Fundamentals class with a Sig 320 at their suggestion, I like their technique and approach. In no way can you compare the feeling of this trigger to a striker gun. 

 

This Shadow 2 has been converted to SAO with the disconnector removed, a Cajun Gun Works flat trigger and using Cajuns 14lb recoil and 13lb hammer spring, stock firing pin and firing return spring. I called Apex to make sure it work and the lady on the phone was very polite and helpful.  She had not had that question before and was able to talk to someone else and verified. 

 

Parts are very nicely machined and finished and in my gun, fit and functioned 100% with no tweaking. I’ve about 500 rounds of reloads using a WSPP through the gun with this setup and no issues and expect none. 

 

There is an increase in trigger weight compared to my other Shadow 2 that is setup identically minus the Apex parts. The Apex parts have a nicer and more defined brake and does allow a little more prepping, though it’s still pretty light. Side by side, I’d say I shoot the Apex’d gun slightly better. The kit is worth the money to me. 

 

My other Shadow 2 will be getting this kit and I hope they make the same for the CZ TSO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Riley said:

I’m not the one to discuss trigger minutia, however, I’ve installed the Apex kit in a Shadow 2 and like it a lot.  I first saw the kit it on OpSpec Training social I think, discussing it being able to be prepped. Having taking their Practical Fundamentals class with a Sig 320 at their suggestion, I like their technique and approach. In no way can you compare the feeling of this trigger to a striker gun. 

 

This Shadow 2 has been converted to SAO with the disconnector removed, a Cajun Gun Works flat trigger and using Cajuns 14lb recoil and 13lb hammer spring, stock firing pin and firing return spring. I called Apex to make sure it work and the lady on the phone was very polite and helpful.  She had not had that question before and was able to talk to someone else and verified. 

 

Parts are very nicely machined and finished and in my gun, fit and functioned 100% with no tweaking. I’ve about 500 rounds of reloads using a WSPP through the gun with this setup and no issues and expect none. 

 

There is an increase in trigger weight compared to my other Shadow 2 that is setup identically minus the Apex parts. The Apex parts have a nicer and more defined brake and does allow a little more prepping, though it’s still pretty light. Side by side, I’d say I shoot the Apex’d gun slightly better. The kit is worth the money to me. 

 

My other Shadow 2 will be getting this kit and I hope they make the same for the CZ TSO!

Thanks for your feedback now I’m really considering getting the kit especially for my son 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a chance to handle one of these at TriggrCon a few weekends ago and it felt great. I don't think the SA is as light as a CGW/CZC kit, but I would say it's the smoothest DA pull I've felt on a CZ, which is what they are going for and they did a great job with it. They wouldn't/couldn't tell me what weight hammer spring they had in the pistol, so it's possible they just popped an 8.5# spring in there.

 

I wouldn't replace an existing CGW/CZC kit with it, but if I had a gun with a stock trigger I would definitely consider this kit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our kit comes with 2 mainsprings. The one that was in the display S2 was 11+ lbs, while the purple spring is roughly a pound heavier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed Apex trigger enhancement kit in my Shadow 2 last weekend. Very smooth, after 500 rounds and a good cleaning my DA trigger is now 5.6 average, SA has been a solid 3.0. This is nothing close to a striker fired trigger. And I still like striker fired guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Installed Apex trigger enhancement kit in my Shadow 2 last weekend. Very smooth, after 500 rounds and a good cleaning my DA trigger is now 5.6 average, SA has been a solid 3.0. This is nothing close to a striker fired trigger. And I still like striker fired guns.

Those are pretty good pull rates! Given the feedback of others saying it’s a steady pull and not spongy; this sounds like something I will try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the excellent explanations, Randy. I’d like to sample your system.  I know you are in AZ, but are you going to be at any shows or other events in the Houston, TX area where folks can try your products in your booth or on a range?  I mention the range because I know of two Country Club gun facilities (meaning VERY high end) in the area and hope there is a small chance they may invite you during a special range day try and buy event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

English is not my first language. Would somebody explain to me what "prepping the trigger" means. Thanks!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hansb57 said:

English is not my first language. Would somebody explain to me what "prepping the trigger" means. Thanks!! 

 

Prepping the trigger is to press the trigger back part of the way (until you feel the wall, just prior to breaking the shot) before you actually complete the full trigger press to fire the gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ClangClang said:

 

Prepping the trigger is to press the trigger back part of the way (until you feel the wall, just prior to breaking the shot) before you actually complete the full trigger press to fire the gun. 

 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 6:00 AM, DCSigCZ said:

Thank you for the excellent explanations, Randy. I’d like to sample your system.  I know you are in AZ, but are you going to be at any shows or other events in the Houston, TX area where folks can try your products in your booth or on a range?  I mention the range because I know of two Country Club gun facilities (meaning VERY high end) in the area and hope there is a small chance they may invite you during a special range day try and buy event. 

Hmmm... I know that the sample gun is on display this week at the NSSF Range- Retailer Expo, and we usually have it at the NRA Annual Meeting as well as this upcoming year at SHOT. If they invite us, we can definitely see what can be arranged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now have quite a few rounds through the Shadow 2 with the Apex kit and I really like it.
 

I’ve installed the same kit in a CZ TSO and it increased the trigger pull nicely. I’m using both the the sear and the hammer from the kit and it fits and functions fine with a few rounds so far. I may swap the stock TSO hammer back in and see how it mates with the Apex sear after this weekend. I’m using a CZ Custom safety and had to slightly relieve the safety where it contacts the sear but it works great now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 15# Wolff hammer spring in my Shadow2. I remove coils until the d/a is 5.5# for ipsc purposes. This results in 2.25  -2.5# s/a . There is a definite wall there and I like to prep the trigger. I bend the trigger return spring for reduced power and I bend it back if I need to. Never broke one. I clipped the firirng pin spring to reduce power. Extended firing pin not necessary as this set up ignites CCI primers 100%. I used this same set up in my Shadow 1’s since they were released about 12 or 15 years ago. We had no reduced power springs or extended fp springs back in the day so we had to be inventive. Short reset disconnectors make me laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...