Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CZ Action Parts from Apex Tactical

hlpressley

I’m not the one to discuss trigger minutia, however, I’ve installed the Apex kit in a Shadow 2 and like it a lot.  I first saw the kit it on OpSpec Training social I think, discussing it being able to be prepped. Having taking their Practical Fundamentals class with a Sig 320 at their suggestion, I like their technique and approach. In no way can you compare the feeling of this trigger to a striker gun. 

This Shadow 2 has been converted to SAO with the disconnector removed, a Cajun Gun Works flat trigger and using Cajuns 14lb recoil and 13lb hammer spring, stock firing pin and firing return spring. I called Apex to make sure it work and the lady on the phone was very polite and helpful.  She had not had that question before and was able to talk to someone else and verified. 

Parts are very nicely machined and finished and in my gun, fit and functioned 100% with no tweaking. I’ve about 500 rounds of reloads using a WSPP through the gun with this setup and no issues and expect none. 

There is an increase in trigger weight compared to my other Shadow 2 that is setup identically minus the Apex parts. The Apex parts have a nicer and more defined brake and does allow a little more prepping, though it’s still pretty light. Side by side, I’d say I shoot the Apex’d gun slightly better. The kit is worth the money to me. 

My other Shadow 2 will be getting this kit and I hope they make the same for the CZ TSO!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Riley said:

I’m not the one to discuss trigger minutia, however, I’ve installed the Apex kit in a Shadow 2 and like it a lot.  I first saw the kit it on OpSpec Training social I think, discussing it being able to be prepped. Having taking their Practical Fundamentals class with a Sig 320 at their suggestion, I like their technique and approach. In no way can you compare the feeling of this trigger to a striker gun. 

This Shadow 2 has been converted to SAO with the disconnector removed, a Cajun Gun Works flat trigger and using Cajuns 14lb recoil and 13lb hammer spring, stock firing pin and firing return spring. I called Apex to make sure it work and the lady on the phone was very polite and helpful.  She had not had that question before and was able to talk to someone else and verified. 

Parts are very nicely machined and finished and in my gun, fit and functioned 100% with no tweaking. I’ve about 500 rounds of reloads using a WSPP through the gun with this setup and no issues and expect none. 

There is an increase in trigger weight compared to my other Shadow 2 that is setup identically minus the Apex parts. The Apex parts have a nicer and more defined brake and does allow a little more prepping, though it’s still pretty light. Side by side, I’d say I shoot the Apex’d gun slightly better. The kit is worth the money to me. 

My other Shadow 2 will be getting this kit and I hope they make the same for the CZ TSO!

Thanks for your feedback now I’m really considering getting the kit especially for my son 

• 2 months later...

I had a chance to handle one of these at TriggrCon a few weekends ago and it felt great. I don't think the SA is as light as a CGW/CZC kit, but I would say it's the smoothest DA pull I've felt on a CZ, which is what they are going for and they did a great job with it. They wouldn't/couldn't tell me what weight hammer spring they had in the pistol, so it's possible they just popped an 8.5# spring in there.

I wouldn't replace an existing CGW/CZC kit with it, but if I had a gun with a stock trigger I would definitely consider this kit. 

Installed Apex trigger enhancement kit in my Shadow 2 last weekend. Very smooth, after 500 rounds and a good cleaning my DA trigger is now 5.6 average, SA has been a solid 3.0. This is nothing close to a striker fired trigger. And I still like striker fired guns.

Installed Apex trigger enhancement kit in my Shadow 2 last weekend. Very smooth, after 500 rounds and a good cleaning my DA trigger is now 5.6 average, SA has been a solid 3.0. This is nothing close to a striker fired trigger. And I still like striker fired guns.

Those are pretty good pull rates! Given the feedback of others saying it’s a steady pull and not spongy; this sounds like something I will try.

Thank you for the excellent explanations, Randy. I’d like to sample your system.  I know you are in AZ, but are you going to be at any shows or other events in the Houston, TX area where folks can try your products in your booth or on a range?  I mention the range because I know of two Country Club gun facilities (meaning VERY high end) in the area and hope there is a small chance they may invite you during a special range day try and buy event. 

1 hour ago, Hansb57 said:

English is not my first language. Would somebody explain to me what "prepping the trigger" means. Thanks!! 

Prepping the trigger is to press the trigger back part of the way (until you feel the wall, just prior to breaking the shot) before you actually complete the full trigger press to fire the gun. 

5 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Prepping the trigger is to press the trigger back part of the way (until you feel the wall, just prior to breaking the shot) before you actually complete the full trigger press to fire the gun. 

Thanks. 

On 8/17/2019 at 6:00 AM, DCSigCZ said:

Thank you for the excellent explanations, Randy. I’d like to sample your system.  I know you are in AZ, but are you going to be at any shows or other events in the Houston, TX area where folks can try your products in your booth or on a range?  I mention the range because I know of two Country Club gun facilities (meaning VERY high end) in the area and hope there is a small chance they may invite you during a special range day try and buy event. 

Hmmm... I know that the sample gun is on display this week at the NSSF Range- Retailer Expo, and we usually have it at the NRA Annual Meeting as well as this upcoming year at SHOT. If they invite us, we can definitely see what can be arranged.

• 1 month later...

I now have quite a few rounds through the Shadow 2 with the Apex kit and I really like it.

I’ve installed the same kit in a CZ TSO and it increased the trigger pull nicely. I’m using both the the sear and the hammer from the kit and it fits and functions fine with a few rounds so far. I may swap the stock TSO hammer back in and see how it mates with the Apex sear after this weekend. I’m using a CZ Custom safety and had to slightly relieve the safety where it contacts the sear but it works great now. 

I use a 15# Wolff hammer spring in my Shadow2. I remove coils until the d/a is 5.5# for ipsc purposes. This results in 2.25  -2.5# s/a . There is a definite wall there and I like to prep the trigger. I bend the trigger return spring for reduced power and I bend it back if I need to. Never broke one. I clipped the firirng pin spring to reduce power. Extended firing pin not necessary as this set up ignites CCI primers 100%. I used this same set up in my Shadow 1’s since they were released about 12 or 15 years ago. We had no reduced power springs or extended fp springs back in the day so we had to be inventive. Short reset disconnectors make me laugh.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the Apex Action Enhancement setup in my Shadow 2 and I am impressed.  I really like the solid wall in Single Action instead of the mush through to fire.  Couldnt get used to the none wall feeling of the factory trigger and all the stacking feeling and none smoothness of the Double Action.  With the Apex setup the DA is super buttery.

Polished all internals

Have tried multiple recoil and hammer spring combos (11lb Recoil decided upon from the Cajun Tuner pack)

Reduced Trigger Return Spring 

Floating Trigger Pin

Extended Firing Pin from Cajun

My results with 8.5lb Cajun Hammer Spring (4.8lb DA, 3.4lb SA) 95% with CCI, 100% with Winchester and Federal

My results with 10lb CZC Hammer Spring (5.4lb DA, 3.6lb SA) 100% all primers

My results with 11.5lb Cajun Hammer Spring (5.8lb DA, 3.8lb SA) 100% all primers

With factory firing pin and the Apex reduced power firing pin spring it was probably 50% CCI primers and 90% Winchester and 100% Federal.  Decided I'd try the extended pin to keep using CCI for practice since I have like 10k of them still.

Edited by BomberJosh

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had feedback on this kit?  I've tried searching but I can't find much in the way of reviews.  I did order the kit for my 75B and it showed up today.  I'm hoping for a nice crisp SA when all is said and done.  For those that have one, how did you secure the hammer pins?  Did you stake them in place?  Thanks for any info.  

Edited by Mike9250

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 4:46 PM, BomberJosh said:

With factory firing pin and the Apex reduced power firing pin spring it was probably 50% CCI primers and 90% Winchester and 100% Federal.  Decided I'd try the extended pin to keep using CCI for practice since I have like 10k of them still.

How is the extended firing pin working out for you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, BomberJosh said:

Also interested in how the extended pin works out since the Apex website suggests not using it and I'm stocked up on CCI primers.

@Randy Lee, do you have any info on why the extended firing pin is a no-go?

20 hours ago, BryceA said:

Also interested in how the extended pin works out since the Apex website suggests not using it and I'm stocked up on CCI primers.

@Randy Lee, do you have any info on why the extended firing pin is a no-go?

I am interested as well.  I added the kit to one of my shadows and have exactly this question as well. Additionally the instructions or bette4 bag for the reduced FPS says tapered end towards the rear of slide which seems strange to me as the tapered end reduces the ID of the spring and if placed towards the rear would increase the spring tension. 
I will find out this Friday anyway when I go to the range and shoot a few old Tula steel cased rounds. 

I had primer swipe and a stove pipe with extended pin and factory spring or reduced firing pin spring. I haven’t used CCI primers, can’t get any.

As for the hammer pins, they were snug enough to stay in on their own so I didn’t stake and have had no issues. 

I have many thousands of rounds on the Apex kits in the Shadow 2 and TSO all using Winchester primers. Factory firing pin and spring, 15lb hammer springs. Very nice. 

I have the same kit in a Shadow 2 that is still DA/SA and with either a 13 or 15lb hammer spring, factory firing pin and spring works perfectly as well. Winchester primers as well. I do t find the trigger too heavy but it has a nice break and easier to prep. 

My shadow 1 with the Apex kit ignites Federal factory ammo and Fiocchi without issues, Tula steel, on the other hand works fine in SA but not always in DA.  One out of five has a light primer strike but every one went off on the second pull.  I guess I am just a hair off of igniting all ammunition.  
DA pull weight is 5 lb 6 oz

SA 3 lb 12 oz

anyone know what the competition hammer spring weight in the Apex kit is?

50 minutes ago, KlausN said:

My shadow 1 with the Apex kit ignites Federal factory ammo and Fiocchi without issues, Tula steel, on the other hand works fine in SA but not always in DA.  One out of five has a light primer strike but every one went off on the second pull.  I guess I am just a hair off of igniting all ammunition.  
DA pull weight is 5 lb 6 oz

SA 3 lb 12 oz

anyone know what the competition hammer spring weight in the Apex kit is?

Are you using their competition or carry main spring which are believe are ~11 and ~12lbs, respectively, or maybe a different spring altogether?

27 minutes ago, BryceA said:

Are you using their competition or carry main spring which are believe are ~11 and ~12lbs, respectively, or maybe a different spring altogether?

Apex competition hammer spring. Which is just on the edge of igniting Tula repeatedly.  

With the original hammer 11.5 was causing issues after a while and 13 worked perfectly. I am trying to understand what is the next step up from the apex competition spring. I think adding 1 lb or even 1/2lb would fix the “issue”. 

Edited by KlausN

9 minutes ago, KlausN said:

I am trying to understand what is the next step up from the apex competition spring.

I thought Apex included a "carry" mainspring for just this scenario, along with their "competition" mainspring. I don't recall where I read it, but the "carry" spring is supposed to be about 1 lb heaver than the "competition" spring. At least they do for the Shadow 2 and 75B kits.

I just can’t find any info on apex’s spring weight.  Going from their competition spring to the carry spring, according to Apex’s website increases the da pull by about 1 lb.  This might indicate that there is more then 1 lbs difference in spring weight and there is also another issue:  I have to change springs about once per year.  due to use they wear out. If I want to purchase a new spring from cgw or Wolff, which one would I get if I can’t tie the apex to a certain spring weight. 

Yes, you are right going to the Apex carry spring will fix the problem but 

1. adds more weight than needed

2. doesn’t tell me which springs to buy other than Apex’s own. 

ready to build a spring tester. 

Edited by KlausN