Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom Uppers

I'm getting ready to start my PCC build and there seems to be  a good general recommendation for Taccom parts. I've narrowed it down to these two complete uppers.

https://taccom3g.com/product/ultra-light-weight-complete-9mm-upper

https://taccom3g.com/product/extreme-feed-14-5-9mm-complete-upper-w-4-port-brake/

It looks like there is a lot of mixed ideas on whether a comp is useful or not, based on previous discussions. Which one would you guys choose if you had to start a new build with one?

I just finished building a Taccom 5.25" ULW upper w/Quarter Circle lower... could not be more pleased...  the short barrel is a tack driver...  my first outing for testing at the local range (they won't let a rifle on the pistol bays) so I had to shoot it on the 100yd range... first 5 shots at 100 yds i could cover all of them with the palm of my hand …  I did lots testing with different loads, powders & buffers.. .& found a great combination - extremely soft shooting & dot just sits there ..  …. . just shot my first match this past sunday…  this gun transitions like pointing your finger … gun  ran 100% ….  

Edited by cecil

I just assembled my first PCC. I used the Taccom complete 14.5" upper with the pinned brake and I'm very happy with it, the quality is great. I have heard mixed opinions on whether or not a brake is needed. As others have said, it probably depends on the load you are using. I also think it would do more on a shorter barrel. On a 14.5" to 16" 9mm, the effect will be incremental, it isn't going to be like the impact of a brake on a 7.62. Somewhere on this forum someone did some testing (MemphisMechanic maybe), see if you can search it. I will say that I think a 16" barrel isn't doing you any good in 9mm. If there were no NFA I doubt anyone would choose that barrel length for a PCC. Going with the 14.5" pinned saved a little bit of length and weight without the legal hassle of an SBR. A braced pistol isn't USPSA legal so if competition is your thing (I assume it is if you're on this forum), that option is out.

The Taccom ULW (sleeved 5" barrel) is a neat workaround to the legal restrictions, but from my perspective it has some downsides: 1) the bullet is exiting the barrel behind where your support hand is on the sleeve. I didn't like this idea. 2) the sleeve could get dented, bent, or torn right off. 3) If you shoot coated bullets you might need to clean the inside of the sleeve at some point. I asked Tim about this and if I recall he said he hasn't cleaned his ever, so it may not be a problem, but there's a thread on this forum about the cleaning procedure. 4) you are reducing weight compared to a standard barrel and that might improve handling speed but it might also increase perceived recoil and possibly dot bounce.

I was on the fence between these same two uppers. I probably would have been happy either way. After my first match I realized I'm so far behind the top dogs skill-wise that a minor difference in gear just doesn't matter. Pick one, go shoot, have fun.

This is strictly for a PCC competition build. Leaning towards the upper with the brake right now.
14.5 is the way to go for USPSA. More of a weight thing than anything. The ULW swings super fast, but it's much easier to get that second alpha with the 14.5.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

14.5 is the way to go for USPSA. More of a weight thing than anything. The ULW swings super fast, but it's much easier to get that second alpha with the 14.5.

I beg to differ with you about easier to get that second shot alpha you referred to...... lower picture is of  3 - 6 shot Bill drill with my Taccom 5.25" ULW upper ... at 12 yards..  target rings are 1" apart...…..  : ) ...

3 - 6 shot Bill drill_resized.jpg

I beg to differ with you about easier to get that second shot alpha you referred to...... lower picture is of  3 - 6 shot Bill drill with my Taccom 5.25" ULW upper ... at 12 yards..  target rings are 1" apart...…..  : ) ...
1176986708_3-6shotBilldrill_resized.thumb.jpg.228d586ad49b2c86346b999e61fc2e5a.jpg
I had them both, the 14.5 is so much easier. Everybody who has tried my gun in both configurations has said the same. It's night and day.

I have the Taccom 5 1/2" w/aluminum shroud ,no comp.....Way early version w/ feed ramp.  My opinion, the comp may make you feel better, that's about it. If I miss anything out to 100 yards??.... It's the "jerk" behind the trigger, not the gun. I have 2 other 9mm's... The 5 1/2 barrel points fastest (at least in my mind)...... Lighter=faster....

I have both the ULW and standard length barrel uppers and the difference is negligible if you use the right ammo and buffer for your upper. My ULW double taps touch at 7 yards, and are easily both A zone at 15 yards. Beyond 20 yards I shoot a little slower anyway so it doesn’t much matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the ULW and standard length barrel uppers and the difference is negligible if you use the right ammo and buffer for your upper. My ULW double taps touch at 7 yards, and are easily both A zone at 15 yards. Beyond 20 yards I shoot a little slower anyway so it doesn’t much matter.

Not at all what I noticed. My 14.5 ended up being exactly a pound heavier than my ULW. That combined with the lighter load the longer barrel lets you get away with gave me a noticably flatter gun.

What I did notice as well was that standing still doing bill drills is one thing. But in an actual match, my scores are undeniably better with the heavier gun.

For reference, the guy who started this whole concept with PCC has said himself that it's not that great and that he would rather have a 14.5.

That combined with the lighter load the longer barrel lets you get away with gave me a noticably flatter gun.

The longer barrel doesn’t “let you get away” with anything, but rather it covers the symptoms of having the wrong load and buffer with the short barreled upper. I spent the time and effort to work up my load and buffer just like I did for the longer barrel, and I’ll take the ULW over it any day, and twice on Sunday.

The longer barrel doesn’t “let you get away” with anything, but rather it covers the symptoms of having the wrong load and buffer with the short barreled upper. I spent the time and effort to work up my load and buffer just like I did for the longer barrel, and I’ll take the ULW over it any day, and twice on Sunday.

You can argue all you want, but the longer barrel will give more velocity compared to the ULW for any given load. A 130pf load made for a 5.25" barrel is going to be completely different than 130pf for a 14.5". You can't cheat physics, the ULW is going to be snappier than the longer heavier barrel.

I ran a ULW for over a year. It's a cool barrel and I did well with it. I do better with the 14.5" in pretty much every measurable way.

3 hours ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

You can argue all you want, but the longer barrel will give more velocity compared to the ULW for any given load. A 130pf load made for a 5.25" barrel is going to be completely different than 130pf for a 14.5". You can't cheat physics, the ULW is going to be snappier than the longer heavier barrel.

I ran a ULW for over a year. It's a cool barrel and I did well with it. I do better with the 14.5" in pretty much every measurable way.

argue all you want  :) but if you are running 147gr.....the difference mmmmmight be 50fps and with 124gr, maybe 75fps. Now we are talking reloads, right? A little more for factory and who cares about 115gr. 

I'll take snappy and back to POA faster any day of the week. Pretty much what the top guys are doing with their barrels......maybe in the 8" to 12" range which happens to be a sweet spot for brakes. AND......I'll submit that the correct recoil system will deliver more than a barrel will......and in that case, I want super light. Been dealing with physics all this week......you'd be amazed when you analyze everything.........just what really makes a difference. Trust me on this one  :)

argue all you want  [emoji4] but if you are running 147gr.....the difference mmmmmight be 50fps and with 124gr, maybe 75fps. Now we are talking reloads, right? A little more for factory and who cares about 115gr. 
Never said it was a big difference with the load, but a difference nonetheless. As I've said several times now, the weight is the biggest factor, especially on a blowback design. Can't beat physics, same reason everyone likes a heavy handgun. On the flip side, I've never been able to see a measurable difference in my target transitions between the two setups.

And which top guys are using these kinds of barrels? The guy who started the whole fad went back to a 14.5 and then a 10 shooting for Limcat. Everyone else is shooting heavy ass JPs or MPXs.

When did the argument have anything to do with velocity? No one is cheating physics here, you are attempting to change the argument to something completely unrelated to the current debate. Nowhere in this conversation did I say we are running the same ammo through both uppers, and I very clearly stated that I have tuned my buffers and my ammo to each upper so velocity is irrelevant. The simple fact is that I see zero benefit to the longer barrel upper for USPSA and Steel Challenge matches since there are no shots past 50 yards, and the lighter barrel helps with faster transitions. My ULW with the buffer and ammo I’ve tuned for it will match the longer barrel shot for shot with negligible for movement and be faster on target until the distance reaches over about 80 yards where the length starts to aid accuracy. If we are shooting past 100 yards with a PCC we grabbed the wrong gun to begin with, so talking about longer shots is like talking about boxing with one arm—sure you could get lucky but the probability of winning isn’t on your side.

When did the argument have anything to do with velocity?

Ever since we started using velocity to calculate pf...

I'm clearly not winning this debate here, so I'll just leave this with the OP to answer the original question. Look at how many top guys are shooting uber light guns or ULW barrels, and then look at how many are using 10"+ barrels in heavier setups. Your answer will become pretty obvious.

Ever since we started using velocity to calculate pf...

I'm clearly not winning this debate here, so I'll just leave this with the OP to answer the original question. Look at how many top guys are shooting uber light guns or ULW barrels, and then look at how many are using 10"+ barrels in heavier setups. Your answer will become pretty obvious.

I’ll leave this with the OP as well. The fact that JP is copying the ULW speaks volumes as well. The reason so many top shooters use the longer barrels is pretty simple, JP is the premier brand of complete rifle and has many sponsored shooters that in turn inspire others to buy JP, but JP currently doesn’t have a lightweight short-barreled upper. Once they finish their “copy “ of the ULW, I guarantee you’ll see many factory guys running it and a lot more fanboys jumping on the bandwagon. Brands like Lead Star actually have the upper hand on both since their skeleton rifle is amazingly light you can run a penciled out 14.5” barrel and brake for better long range performance, plus you can transition about as fast as a ULW since the swing weight is so low.

I’ll leave this with the OP as well. The fact that JP is copying the ULW speaks volumes as well. The reason so many top shooters use the longer barrels is pretty simple, JP is the premier brand of complete rifle and has many sponsored shooters that in turn inspire others to buy JP, but JP currently doesn’t have a lightweight short-barreled upper. Once they finish their “copy “ of the ULW, I guarantee you’ll see many factory guys running it and a lot more fanboys jumping on the bandwagon. Brands like Lead Star actually have the upper hand on both since their skeleton rifle is amazingly light you can run a penciled out 14.5” barrel and brake for better long range performance, plus you can transition about as fast as a ULW since the swing weight is so low.

I guess we'll see once JP releases it.