Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning glock PCC mags and goliath woes

I've found there's a LOT of crap blasted into the mag. I didn't initially realize until I started getting misfeeds about 400 rounds in without a mag clean.

1. How the heck do you "easily" pull the +2 extension off the 31rd glock mags for cleaning? It's hell!

2. Is there a good base pad to facilitate easy disassemble and still get the +2 or more?

3. I already have the goliath, and it's great for disassembly and cleaning. But it's picky with ammo it seems. Completely fails to lift steel cased ammo. Also doesn't seem to feed blazer brass 115gr which has cost me 2 matches. I like the goliath generally speaking, ordered a batch of S&B that I hope it likes... I could really use something in the some 40 range of extension, that isn't picky with feeding ammo and is easy to clean. I don't need +20 most of the time and want a bump in reliability, I think standard glock 31+2 mags would do fine if they were easier to clean.

Edited by PigSnowball
50 minutes ago, PigSnowball said:

I've found there's a LOT of crap blasted into the mag. I didn't initially realize until I started getting misfeeds about 400 rounds in without a mag clean.

1. How the heck do you "easily" pull the +2 extension off the 31rd glock mags for cleaning? It's hell!

2. Is there a good base pad to facilitate easy disassemble and still get the +2 or more?

3. I already have the goliath, and it's great for disassembly and cleaning. But it's picky with ammo it seems. Completely fails to lift steel cased ammo. Also doesn't seem to feed blazer brass 115gr which has cost me 2 matches. I like the goliath generally speaking, ordered a batch of S&B that I hope it likes... I could really use something in the some 40 range of extension, that isn't picky with feeding ammo and is easy to clean. I don't need +20 most of the time and want a bump in reliability, I think standard glock 31+2 mags would do fine if they were easier to clean.

Robin Taylor specifically states that the longest OAL is 1.125 for any of the basepads to work properly. I have had luck going out to 1.13. If the blazer is longer than that you will have feed issues. 

Hello: If you are shooting USPSA pistol matches with 32 rounds max per stage I use the Glock Factory 31 round magazines with aftermarket base pads. The easiest ones to remove are the Zev ones but they only give you 34 rounds with the stock spring. Next are the Arredondo +5 base pads and they will give you 36 rounds with the stock spring. Next will be the Dawson which will give you 34-35 rounds. These are the easiest for me to remove and clean. 34-36 rounds will get you through most pistol stages and if you think you need more use a bigger base pad on that stage. I see guys which massive magazine setups on 24 round stages. Use shorter mags on those stages and save your special big sticks for the stages that need it. Just my thought. Lastly I load my Glock ammo to 1.140" OAL and have not had a problem with any base pads I have used including TF and MBX. Thanks, Eric

Yeah I'll still have my goliath for truly big stages and outlaw matches, I can set aside the right ammo for that mag if I eventually work out what works well...

Just want something that will run all types of ammo more reliably for the many stages that are 30 and below round count stages. I think that even +0 base pad is tolerable if the extension is easy.

Easy to me means

1. No tiny loose screws or unretained pins.

2. Tool-less if at all possible. A pen or anything on my skeletool would be a runner up.

Should I consider the ETS 31 rd mag?

Edited by PigSnowball
53 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

The easiest ones to remove are the Zev ones but they only give you 34 rounds with the stock spring.

That sounds good to me? How does that take down? I can find videos of their original pmag extension, but not so much the glock extension (nor a place that has them in stock).

Getting the basepads off of a factory Glock 33 rd magazine is a pain (I drive them off with a screw driver and hammer) but I only need to do it once.

The pads are replaced with the Dawson Glock +5/+6 basepads.  Easy to remove and will give you a 36rd magazine (37 round once the spring is a bit worn) and simple toolless removal.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Dawson-Base-pad-Glock-wSpring-P700.aspx

Hello: The Zev base pads you just lift the lever on the back and slide the base plate back. It locks into place so you don't loose the bottom plate. The Arredondo ones you need the tool but they come off easily. There are copy Zev ones on your favorite auction sight but the quality is not as good as the factory ZEV ones. Shooters Connection carry the Arredondo ones. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, mstamper said:

Robin Taylor specifically states that the longest OAL is 1.125 for any of the basepads to work properly. I have had luck going out to 1.13. If the blazer is longer than that you will have feed issues. 

Thanks for pointing this out. I think when I bought it that warning might not have been on the site, but either way, it's clear instructions.

So the blazer brass is about 1.67, wwb about 1.51, tula 1.63.. All way over. I've got a box out back with about 20 different factory ammos for reference, i'll take a look at their OALs.

The other useful point from the warning is about it "feeling sticky" after 35 rounds. And that's definitely what's happening. So... with these factory ammos above the limit, I could probably get reliable functioning if I just load to 35, which is fine for most of the stages anyway...

For reference, the goliath internal capacity is about 1.651, sooo, i think the4 1.250 statement is... very conservative.. I haven't had any issue with wwb at 1.51

Edited by PigSnowball
48 minutes ago, PigSnowball said:

Thanks for pointing this out. I think when I bought it that warning might not have been on the site, but either way, it's clear instructions.

So the blazer brass is about 1.67, wwb about 1.51, tula 1.63.. All way over. I've got a box out back with about 20 different factory ammos for reference, i'll take a look at their OALs.

The other useful point from the warning is about it "feeling sticky" after 35 rounds. And that's definitely what's happening. So... with these factory ammos above the limit, I could probably get reliable functioning if I just load to 35, which is fine for most of the stages anyway...

For reference, the goliath internal capacity is about 1.651, sooo, i think the4 1.250 statement is... very conservative.. I haven't had any issue with wwb at 1.51

The rounds are at an upward angle but as you add more and they stack up, the rounds start to tilt down since 9mm is a tapered case. That’s why the oal needs to be shorter. The transition from mag tube to base pad happens around that 35 round,so I usually give it a downward smack with my thumb on top round as I insert that next round. 

Taran Tactical +10’s have worked without any issues for me. Easy off and on for cleaning and maintenance. Plenty of rounds for most any USPSA stage. The Goliath I have has also worked with no issues. A bit overkill maybe but it works. I do load my ammo a tad on the short side. I also run ETS mags. Base pads aren’t difficult to remove and they run well. I haven’t been able to get them to work with any of the base pads I’ve tried so they’re just my go to 30 rounders.

OK, so... mostly intrigued by the OAL restriction. I have a small "library" of easily available at low cost factory ammo.

I took 10 measurements from each, took the average, max and 4 sigma high.

Out of 16 factory ammos, only 2 are under the 1.1250 recommended by Taylor Freelance.

Aguila 115 Gr... Which I haven't seen available in a long time and happens to be the worst performing ammo in terms of accuracy out of the bunch (19MOA average from 4 different guns).

oal9mmfactory.png

Edited by PigSnowball
3 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Getting the basepads off of a factory Glock 33 rd magazine is a pain (I drive them off with a screw driver and hammer) but I only need to do it once.

So the easiest way I have found to get off the stock basepads is to set the mag flat on a countertop, let the basepad hang over the edge and wack it off with a hammer. The spring and goodies go everywhere but takes a second to get rid of that junk.

1 hour ago, RocketRyan said:

So the easiest way I have found to get off the stock basepads is to set the mag flat on a countertop, let the basepad hang over the edge and wack it off with a hammer. The spring and goodies go everywhere but takes a second to get rid of that junk.

This doesn't sound like a good way to remove them for the purpose of routine cleaning... How much damage is done?

4 hours ago, PigSnowball said:

This doesn't sound like a good way to remove them for the purpose of routine cleaning... How much damage is done?

Taking the Aluminum basepads off for cleaning do far more damage to the plastic. I have almost 20 mags and haven't had an issue. 

I purchased the Taran +10, the gen 2 lightweight version. When I first put it on, the follower wouldn't sink into the extension. I had to sand the back of the follower slightly, and I also slightly sanded the back of the inside lip of the extension. Both with very fine grit. I spent less than a minute on it, and since then it has worked flawlessly. It's a breeze to remove for cleaning. I was tempted to grab a goliath but I didn't like the OAL restriction and ultimately the capacity seemed like overkill to me. I also paid $36 vs $70 for the goliath.

15 hours ago, PigSnowball said:

If you are replacing them with aluminum basepads, it don't matter what condition they are in.  Even if they look OK they still go into the trash.  I'll never need them again.