Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 "medium" Colt load starting point.

Luckynumberslevin

Hey guys,

So I've started to dabble in the world of ipsc revolver and the whole idea of .38 special trimmed to super length seems pretty interesting.  I've cut down a bunch of brass to .900" and sourced a couple different types of bullets, from 158gr plated to 158 and 160gr cast and powder coated.  

My question after a bunch of searching here is which is a good spot to start up my loads with a Chrono.  38 super data at the bottom end or something closer to 9mm?

So I've started to dabble in the world of ipsc revolver and the whole idea of .38 special trimmed to super length seems pretty interesting.  I've cut down a bunch of brass to .900" and sourced a couple different types of bullets, from 158gr plated to 158 and 160gr cast and powder coated.

I tried that a few years back with Remington brass. I had poor results, I think the brass was thicker at the case mouth after trimming and was deforming my bullets. I was getting keyholing, about once out of 8 shots.

I have used the same load I was using in 9mm and .38 Super. Somehow it made the same PF in all three guns despite the OAL difference. The internal case web may be a little different, but I don't see how any starting .38 Super starting load wouldn't be a good place to start.