Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S3 Xtreme Ignition Problems in SA

AzNooB

I didn’t make that clear. They don’t sell the reamer, they sell the service; I’d imagine they’ve had to have custom tooling made. I know I had to hunt down someone who could make the reamer I wanted.

Particularly  because mine’s carbide, not HSS (highspeed steel.)

Tanfo barrels cut like butter, but I wanted to throat guns like my Walthers which have nitrided barrels. I’ve done a few Glock Gen5 and CZ Shadow2 barrels for friends, because it’s impossible to find a smith with a hard enough reamer.

If I were you I’d send my barrel to Patriot on a Monday. You’ll have it back later that week in most cases. I can do it as well, but I only really do this if fellow shooters ask. I’m not doing this for an income source and I like supporting our Vendors. Especially good shops like PD.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I just got my other S3X back from EAA so I'm going to shoot some ammo through it and see what happens. It never had ignition issues before and my ammo behaves exactly the same with the plunk test.

It had the same ignition parts when I sent it in but when I got it back, it came with a different firing pin and cut firing pin spring. *shrug*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had 2 light primer strikes yesterday during practice using S&B 115gr.

The first one was at about 1100 rounds on the new hammer spring. The second was at about 1500 rounds in. 

I noticed the primer strike was off-center. Does this have to do something with FP block fitment? I’ve taken the FP block out before with the previous hammer spring and it didn’t help anything. 

I’m at a loss of what to try now. I highly doubt that the EGD Medium hammer spring and Delta hammer combo are only good for 1000 rounds of the most commonly found factory ammo in Europe. The last thing I want to do is send my gun back to EAA. They’ve already had it once and refused to fix it for another issue; I doubt they’ll even consider this a problem.  

2E58BEC3-D01E-4FD7-B435-739D632A0811.jpeg

Spend a (very) few dollars and buy a patriot defense firing pin return spring (robs less power from the hammer) AND a patriot defense firing pin. That will light off cci primers in otherwise untouched guns (that don't have other issues).

Also, the EG Medium spring should be good for a full season (20k or better). 

On 6/9/2019 at 9:16 PM, billthemarine2862 said:

Just out of curiosity did EAA say what they did to repair the gun when they had it?  I know you mentioned that the changed the FP spring and the FP spring. Did they throat the barrel or do anything else to it?

I sent my two guns in because I had to adjust my rear sight all the way to the left to zero the guns. It seemed like the slides were out of spec in some way. 

Gun1:

Was failing to go into battery with the factory installed 8# recoil spring. 

Slide was replaced with a new S3X slide. 

Gun1’s FP and FP spring look different than the ones originally in the gun.

Gun1 now shoots POA/POI at 25 yards with the rear sight windage setting close to mechanical zero. 

Gun1 has 2000 rounds on the frame and still ignites factory Magtech/S&B ammo without issue. 

Gun1 has 500 rounds on the new slide. 

Gun2:

FP was bent. 

Trigger plunger pin hole cracked. 

EAA kept the original slide from Gun2.

Slide was replaced with slide from Gun1.

Gun2 started having light strikes after being sent back with the slide from Gun1 installed (~1250 rounds on frame).  

Barrel was cut/crowned in attempt to match new production S3 style. Tech claimed this was necessary to fix the problem. Documentation states “adjusted barrel”. 

Gun2 still requires the rear sight to be adjusted to the left edge of the dovetail cut to hit POA/POI at 25 yards. 

Gun2 started having light strikes again 1100 rounds into a replacement EGD Medium hammer spring.

Both guns shot sub 3” groups at 25 yards before I sent them in. It confuses me why EAA would tell me they wouldn’t group and they had to do creative gunsmithing to get them to group better. After the “fix”, they still shot sub 3” groups at 25 (freestyle). I also have a 3rd S3 that shoots sub 3” at 25 yards with the rear sight mostly centered. 

A high level GM shot Gun2 with my zero. Windage was correct with the rear sight cranked to the left. 

Both S3Xs pass the plunk test using S&B 115gr ammo no problem. 

It is pretty messed up that you send in 2 guns for repair and they replace one slide with a new one and put the first slide on the second gun.  

I am sure you don't want to wait for even more repairs but, can you send the gun without the new slide back in?  I have never had to adjust my windage more than a couple of clicks on any Tanfo that I have ever owned.