Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P10F OR upgrades for competition

Superpipe9

What have you guys found and what are you running in the P10f for competition? I’m going to run CO so I’ve already got a DPP and am waiting on the CZC plate to come back in stock. I can’t find any metal guide rods or springs yet and springer and CZC both have base pads but I haven’t found any springs and followers. A buddy bought the springer base pads and the upgraded spring and follower kit that they sale but he could only get 21 rounds. What are you guys using to get 23 + 1? Appreciate any info. Thanks

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Wideload said:

CZ Custom Basepads with 10 coil spring and follower setup will get you 23+1. It will not lock the slide after last round. (Originally set up for P09 Carry Optics gun)

Are you talking about the spring and follower kit for the 75 and TS mags from CZC? 

I believe so ... But, when I ordered the pads couple years ago, the CZC site recommended a spring and follower to go with the pad for maximizing capacity.  While their site no longer provides that function, the image and description matches what I got.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys found any lighter striker springs that work with the stock striker? I’ve heard that some of the Glock springs will work. Also what seems to be the best recoil spring weight to use? The only thing I can find is a 15lb or 18lb. 

6 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

Have you guys found any lighter striker springs that work with the stock striker? I’ve heard that some of the Glock springs will work. Also what seems to be the best recoil spring weight to use? The only thing I can find is a 15lb or 18lb. 

All my experience stems from the P10C, so take it with a grain of salt. I believe the striker assy is the same though.

Buy the HBI trigger kit, it comes with striker springs too. 3.5# and a 3# (factory is 4.5#) The 3.5# actually hits slightly harder than the OEM spring, and the 3# hits at about 75% of the OEM.

I run the 3# and I have never had a light strike on CCI, S&B, or Federal primers. About 3k rounds. I stuck with the 3# because I also have the factory striker and im thinking that the lighter spring might be easier on the brittle striker.

As for recoil springs, if it uses the same length guide rod as the P10C the 18 is good for 124gr low PF loads, and the 15 works well with the 147gr low PF loads. Ive seen a 13#, but never needed it. Might be useful for something like steel challenge and sub minor PF loads.

Aren't people modifying Glock 17/34 stainless steel guide rods to work? Thus also allowing more spring choices?

And yes, Glock striker springs will work just fine.

Edited by rowdyb

On 5/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, Macinaw said:

I ordered a P-09 SS guide rod for my P10 F.  Do I have to use the flat style spring? Or, can I use a standard 1911 spring?  Thanks!

As long as the spring seats against the slide up front you're fine using any spring.

Wait, I'm probably wrong. CGW says not to do it as it will coil bind.

Edited by rowdyb

• 5 weeks later...

I currently shoot in production, but Im getting my P10F setup for CO later this year.  So far I've got Springer Precision base pads with the stock spring and follower, fits 22 reloadable. Thinking about getting the Suarez trigger shoe to shorten the trigger a bit with the HBI striker springs. As far as guide rods, I contacted CGW on when they would have a specific P10F guide rod. They told me hopefully sometime this month. I guess I can try what rowdyb did and sand off the the part thats keeping the spring captured, or getting a P09 guide rod and cutting it down. I chose the Holosun 507c as my optic for now, may get a SRO later on.  

9 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

I’m using a 15lb recoil spring from Cajun gunworks and I believe that a 13lb is going to be the best spring wait for a 132pf loaf that I have. Do you guys think a Glock13lb spring will work?  

I ordered the 15lb and the 18lb spring. I noticed that with the 15lb, which I currently have in it, I’m starting to occasionally get hit in the face with a piece of brass. No other issues besides that. I had about ~1000 rounds thru the gun before the spring change and never once any brass in my face. 

3 hours ago, Trevor300wsm said:

I ordered the 15lb and the 18lb spring. I noticed that with the 15lb, which I currently have in it, I’m starting to occasionally get hit in the face with a piece of brass. No other issues besides that. I had about ~1000 rounds thru the gun before the spring change and never once any brass in my face. 

I currently have the 15lb as well and luckily I haven’t experienced that but the brass falls about 3ft to the right. I think a 13 or 14lb would be better. My current load is 132pf

I'm trying to help a new shooter buddy who bought a P10F as his first pistol.  First range trip I brought a bunch of my ammo that is 134PF in my Shadow and they wouldn't cycle in his gun, after a couple of boxes of factory ammo my stuff would run but barely eject.  Are there any options other than CGW for springs?  I would order from them but they won't event talk to Canadians so I need to find a more common source of lighter springs.  Also ok to simply alter the guide rod for spring replacement and run it uncaptured?

There is a post on this somewhere, but you can simply grind off the bevel on the end of the guide rod and run it uncaptured. You can also try clipping a coil or two off his factory spring and see if there is any improvement. 

On a side note, I have 1000+ rounds thru my P10F OR and I’ve shot everything from hot 115’s to very weak 147’s, both new and remans and I’ve had zero malfunctions or failures of any kind. Also, you can try having him keep his slide locked back for a week or so while it sits in the safe or case. 

9 hours ago, Chili said:

I'm trying to help a new shooter buddy who bought a P10F as his first pistol.  First range trip I brought a bunch of my ammo that is 134PF in my Shadow and they wouldn't cycle in his gun, after a couple of boxes of factory ammo my stuff would run but barely eject.  Are there any options other than CGW for springs?  I would order from them but they won't event talk to Canadians so I need to find a more common source of lighter springs.  Also ok to simply alter the guide rod for spring replacement and run it uncaptured?

Mine did that when it was new. The ejector was rubbing on the slide. The slide would go back smooth until it got back to the ejector and it would rub hard enough to slow the slide down.

After fixing that and going with the 15# spring I love the gun it works flawless.

David

1 hour ago, dr_boone said:

Mine did that when it was new. The ejector was rubbing on the slide. The slide would go back smooth until it got back to the ejector and it would rub hard enough to slow the slide down.

After fixing that and going with the 15# spring I love the gun it works flawless.

David

Which 15# spring and did you grind the guide rod and run it uncaptured?

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Macinaw said:

How did you take apart the captured stock guide rod and install the 15lb spring?

I assumed they were all the same, but mine has a screw head on one end. I just held the rod with a pair of vice grips and unscrewed it. Slid the spring off and put the new one on. Then screwed the head back into the guide rod.

• 2 weeks later...

According to CGW the P-09 guide rod is to soft for the P-10 F. Just got my CGW ss guide rods for my two P-10 F's today along with their

15 lb spring. The only other changes I've made are 1) The stock rear sights I took off my Shadow 2's matched to Dawson f/o fronts and 2) Talon grip tape. I shoot SSP/Production and really enjoy beating the cheater dots and high cap mags. 😎